Sponsored

Do you think it's true? It is for me... but I wonder if others are just jawing and wouldn't really make the purchase. I'm talking about the...

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Often wished-for Diesel with Manual Transmission Jeep Wrangler.

I can tell you that I would buy one tomorrow if it became for sale. I am VERY impressed with my 2021 Freedom MT. I happen to think it rides great and shifts great too. Yeah... the auto-return on the right turn blinker is a PITA to have to get fixed, but the rest of the vehicle... ok... the reverse camera guide lines not working are a PITA too... but...

Well... I'd still do a Diesel with MT tomorrow if it was made.

Would yoU?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Last I checked, EcoDiesel accounted for 6% of Wrangler sales; manual transmission for 10%.

Multiply the two and you get 0.6%.

I donā€™t see Jeep spending the mullah to certify a powertrain configuration that will produce 1,400 units sold.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last I checked, EcoDiesel accounted for 6% of Wrangler sales; manual transmission for 10%.

Multiply the two and you get 0.6%.

I donā€™t see Jeep spending the mullah to certify a powertrain configuration that will produce 1,400 units sold.
When I sold Jeeps back in 1990 -- there was similar fuzzy math used when we had focus groups about the 4-door Wrangler.

We said over and over and over that a 4-door would sell like crazy. Everyone refused to listen.
I was the top guy in the district... and they still refused.

How'd that play out.

A diesel manual would outsell all manuals combined.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I sold Jeeps back in 1990 -- there was similar fuzzy math used when we had focus groups about the 4-door Wrangler.

We said over and over and over that a 4-door would sell like crazy. Everyone refused to listen.
I was the top guy in the district... and they still refused.

How'd that play out.

A diesel manual would outsell all manuals combined.
Big difference, though: 4-door Wrangler didnā€™t exist then.

Both the diesel and the manual transmission exist today and are available right now, so we donā€™t have to guess what the numbers might be.

If you recall, before EcoDiesel appeared, everyone and his sister swore theyā€™d buy a diesel Wrangler. Now that only 6% of buyers are opting for the diesel, I wonder if FCA still thinks it was worth adding it to JL.

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If the existing MT was paired to the 3.0L, could it handle 446 ft/lbs of torque?

I don't think the take rate isn't there for this combo.

Last edited:

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR

I can tell you that I would buy one tomorrow if it became for sale. I am VERY impressed with my 2021 Freedom MT. I happen to think it rides great and shifts great too. Yeah... the auto-return on the right turn blinker is a PITA to have to get fixed, but the rest of the vehicle... ok... the reverse camera guide lines not working are a PITA too... but...

Would yoU?
Absolutely!! There aint nothing like clutching an MT. Far far more engaging and empowering!

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big difference, though: 4-door Wrangler didnā€™t exist then.

Both the diesel and the manual transmission exist today and are available right now, so we donā€™t have to guess what the numbers might be.

If you recall, before EcoDiesel appeared, everyone and his sister swore theyā€™d buy a diesel Wrangler. Now that only 6% of buyers are opting for the diesel, I wonder if FCA still thinks it was worth adding it to JL.
Not really accurate. I didn't buy the diesel because it didn't come with a manual transmission. I'd wager that I'm not alone.

I bought the Penta because it came with the manual transmission. I would have bought the full-time 4x4 option also, if it came with the manual.

There is a line between what people say they want and what they really want - that is true. In this case, a manual Diesel would a trophy.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If it were available on the 2 door. If COV-flation werenā€™t a thing. If it had a new clutch for the increased torque. If yellow was fully available again.
Yes, but it would have to be here now. Iā€™m about to regear and lift. I wouldnā€™t want to throw all that money into my current jeep just to lose it during trade in.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Would yoU?
Tough to pass emissions with an MT and diesel. Not sure we will ever see that option because demand doesn't warrant it.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The new emissions laden diesels hold zero appeal for me. The up front expense, the hassle of DEF the necessary additional maintenance. The 3.6 pentastar is smooth, quiet and plenty powerful in the 2dr Jeep for sure. Make that a 5.7 V8 manual and I am trading tomorrow.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I'm also a manual trans fan, I just hope that the manual doesn't go away in the Jeep. Yes, my new 2022 with be a manual, get one before you can't.

trainman
Just gonna throw this out there ... beginning with the 2020 model year (February 2019) there is an up-charge to put a manual transmission in a Class 8 highway truck.
It appears the hand writing may be on-the-wall for the manual transmission.
It just doesn't mesh (pun intended) with vehicle automation and autonomy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think Jeep would ever eliminate the manual trans. Heck, even Bronco realized that.
I doubt Ford has realized much about Bronco. šŸ˜«
Sponsored