Sponsored

do you reuse stock tire carrier with Mopar tailgate reinforcement or need one for bigger tire?

davered00ss

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2 door
I just put 34" tires on stock Rubicon rims on my Wrangler JL sport 2 door. Spare tire does not fit on mount. I am looking at Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Does that use the stock tire mount or do you have to buy an oversize one?

nittos on jeep 2.jpg
Sponsored

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Have you tried adjusting the 3rd brake light? It’s supposed to be adjustable to accommodate larger tires. Admittedly, I haven’t tried it myself. Just a thought.

OP
OP
davered00ss

davered00ss

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2 door
I took the screws out, but the bracket would not come up. I still don't think it will fit even with it raised. Seems to be 2" or between rim and mounting bracket. I will try loosening the wires. If I need to get a new spare tire carrier as well as the tailgate reinforcement I may look for an aftermarket one that comes as a complete kit.

Sponsored

tee barry

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JL Sport
I took the screws out, but the bracket would not come up. I still don't think it will fit even with it raised. Seems to be 2" or between rim and mounting bracket. I will try loosening the wires. If I need to get a new spare tire carrier as well as the tailgate reinforcement I may look for an aftermarket one that comes as a complete kit.
When I had my 2 door JL sport, I went to 285/17 and picked up a tire carrier from a Rubicon due to the same issue you are having. The larger tire did no allow the rim to mate up to the carrier flange. Could I have done something to shorten the rubber stops - maybe, but I had a Rubicon carrier available and it solved the problem. There is a difference in the two carriers.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I just put 34" tires on stock Rubicon rims on my Wrangler JL sport 2 door. Spare tire does not fit on mount. I am looking at Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Does that use the stock tire mount or do you have to buy an oversize one?
I just had 33s installed on my stock 18 inch Sport Altitude wheels. I had no issue with the wheel fitting on the stock carrier with the larger tire. Just had to move the 3rd brake light up. I had a minor rub on the bumper when closing the tailgate, which really was not an issue, but I'm OCD and installed a Red Rock 4x4 relocation bracket. No more rubbing.

The 3rb brake light bracket is a bit of a pain. It may take a little bit of force to get it to move up. If you rock it, that helps get it moving.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
mine is probably pretty similar with 295s. The factory tire bumpers are squished like pancakes.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST

Jeep Wrangler JL do you reuse stock tire carrier with Mopar tailgate reinforcement or need one for bigger tire? nittos on jeep 2
I ordered my Rubicon from the factory with the hinge gate reinforcement as an option. Since I'm going 37 inch Mud Terrains, I recently ordered the Mopar Oversized tire relocation kit from Amazon. It moves the factory spare tire up an inch and is supposed to accommodate tires up to 37". According to the instructions, it must be used in conjunction with the Mopar Tail Gate Hinge Reinforcement option.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The bumper is holding up getting the tire on.
If you can get them to compress it'll be fine. If not, as mentioned, it's ok to cut them down. Don't take off too much, as you want the tires to be tight against them.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not the bump stops, the bumper itself under the tire
You'd be much better served by getting a proper hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier. The Mopar one really isn't reinforcing much and the high dollar amount they go for would get you more bang from the aftermarket. A proper adjustable carrier will allow you to get the tire up and off the rear bumper, while also keeping the inner sidewall pressed firmly against the rubber bumpers. Also, that adjustability will come in handy if you happen to change anything with your tire and wheel combo.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have the reinforced tailgate and it reuses the mount. It comes with longer rubber stabilizers to replace the OEM ones. If you are using the stock wheel and now have a wider tire this may be a good option for you since it spaces out spare about 1/4in from the tailgate and hence why jeep supplies longer rubber cones. FYI I have to remove my reinforced tailgate to install my bumper, etc. If you're looking to buy a Mopar reinforced tailgate PM me. My jeep only has about 350miles on it right now and wont get anymore until I install my rear bumper; so its virtually new.

35s fit w/o adjust the 3rd brake light on my Rubicion.... but that is mostly because my wheels are 8.5in w/ 0 offset so they don't sit where the OEM wheels do. I don't have my spare on my tailgate because the offset I'm running moves the tire too far away and it does not push against the rubber stabilizers. I'm doing a different bumper w/tire swing so no need resolve this for me. The side profile of the 3rd brake light has a outward curve to it which would interfere with a 35 or maybe even 34in tire if the tire was sitting when the OEM offset would set it (AEV wheels and OEM wheels would possible have issues). A 35 sits right below the brake light, about 1/2in below the bottom of the housing.
Jeep Wrangler JL do you reuse stock tire carrier with Mopar tailgate reinforcement or need one for bigger tire? pic