Sponsored

Do you prefer a black or body coloured hardtop?

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
At first I really wanted a color matched top and fenders. Welp, I ended up buying used that has a black top and color matched fenders. Now I'm totally fine with either one. I kinda wish my fenders were black as well now. I've beginning to really dig the contrast.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Color matched is my preference. It just looks more refined to me. If I wanted less paint and more contrast I’d buy another motorcycle!
I do appreciate having choices, but I already have a Jeep TJ with unpainted fenders that are very hard to maintain, and look terrible when they get chalky.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Both look great. I don't mind either, but I've scratched my hard top quite a bit on the trail and my rear fenders have eaten more rock than Carrie Fisher.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing that REALLY matters on any Wrangler is the stance. Suspension, wheels tires. Everything else is details.

But my wife’s color matched fenders are holding up better than my black fenders.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I like the contrast the black top and fenders make. I'm thinking of painting the hinges black as well.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Originally I was going to go unpainted fenders and top on my GCM until I saw one in person with the painted top and I had to have it. I ended up ordering painted top and unpainted fenders. I think the color is close enough that at first glance you don't see the unpainted fenders but it's perfect imo. Wouldn't change any of the options I ordered.

Errick

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Wrangler JL, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
I ordered a JLU Sahara last month and eagerly waiting for it....

I chose bright white with a black hardtop (also getting the soft top).

I especially like the contrast between the black and white.

It seems like the majority of JL’s I see on the road and at the dealer have the matching top...wondering what others think...??

Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you prefer a black or body coloured hardtop? F85232D7-8BDD-4E93-B788-35622A23E6BB
Black over Sting Gray!

empty pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’m a fence-sitter on the fenders. But only the black tops really look right to me. I ended up with black top and fenders (Sting Gray JT) knowing that the black fenders eventually oxidize. When that happens I’ll put a coat of bed liner on them. But the tops hold up good. Colored tops, in my opinion, just don’t look right. But to each his own!

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Color matched top and premium soft top (black). I like deap dark of soft top, not so much grayish dark of plastic top.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
I like the color matched top on my Sting Gray. Although now that I've chipped it, I sure wish it was black..
*rattle rattle*

Fenders are long gone.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Close as I can come for comparison. My '21 and previous '14. I hated the look of the JL till I ended up with one. Now, looking back, I have changed my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you prefer a black or body coloured hardtop? F85232D7-8BDD-4E93-B788-35622A23E6BB
Yup, I remember during the JKs run talking about the JL. The slanted windshield made me think the JL would look horrible. Then I saw my JK next to a JL and thought the opposite. It’s funny how in hindsight what I thought would be ugly actually looks much better.
Sponsored