Sponsored

Do you need to relocate the third brake light with 35's ???

OP
OP
Wrangled

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, the price of the mopar reinforcement bracket makes me sick.
You know I sat and stared at the picture of that reinforcement kit and was like exactly WHAT costs $700 here? Seems to me they're taking everyone for a ride on that one.

Sales manager has 35's on his. 3rd brake light has plenty of room on top AND it fits just fine with the plastic bumper. :like:
I have a 35” KO2 and plastic bumper. Plenty of space, no issues and no rub on the bumper. Took old tire off, put new one on, done.
Ok this made my night. Thanks @Sting_Rubi and @crushinit for confirmation on those bits.
Sponsored

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
My spare works... kinda. Have a Rubicon w/ the steel bumpers.

Tires: Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5R18
Wheels: Fuel Tactic 18x9 -12 Offset.

The tire touches the bumper but I didn’t notice any resistance opening and closing the tailgate. I might air down a little for now. I did not install my Mopar relo bracket. Not sure how it would be over time with the tire barely rubbing the bumper but prob ok? I do need to figure out how to extend the rubber tire bumper/stabilizers though. They aren’t touching the tire. I also raised the 3rd brake light by removing a set of screws and lifting. Hope this helps some of ya’ll with your planning.

4A95A01E-785D-4D3B-9A31-54AD09E05A47.jpeg

D9638031-1A83-48F1-8084-FB52BF5700F9.jpeg

BF95705B-8FF5-47A1-BBD0-074915CEBB81.jpeg

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 35’s on my JLU Sahara and just added the RC relocation bracket and no tailgate hinge, the cost for one is pretty darn ridiculous for what it does, the tire hanging on it is rock solid after adding hose pieces to the bump stop.

If the tailgate bends I guess I will have learned my lesson but $600 for a the tailgate bracket along with a bracket to raise it so a 35” would clear is just ridiculous.

@TTEChris owner/operator of Tankcustoms here in Houston did all my work and he used some type of black heavy duty hose that fit inside the original bump stop and it looks pretty darn good to me, I have seen somewhere where somebody uses hockey pucks stacked to extend the factory bump.

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
Well I bought all 3 at the dealership. Reinforcement kit, tire mounting bracket and rear light relocation and winch guard. Putting new 35" at the dealership.

20180824_121808.jpg

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Mopar tailgate accessories are way overpriced. I struggled with it too. My logic was, if anything happens to my tailgate with the heavier wheel/tire, I’m using “factory” parts so should hopefully eliminate risk of rejecting warranty work.

I found the tailgate reinforcement on amazon for $480. Little better than other retailers.
With a Rubi for the cost of the factory steel bumper option PLUS the tailgate reinforcement/tail light relocation kits it argues a good case for ordering stock bumper and getting good aftermarket bumper & carrier - still potentially more expensive depending on vendor but arguably better and with a decent chunk of the cost difference offset by initial purchase savings. While the front steel bumper seems OK (after you pop for the needed winch mounting plate) the rear bumper just doesn't impress. I've already decided I'll be sticking with standard bumpers and then going aftermarket.

OP
OP
Wrangled

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In case anyone wants photo evidence... you do NOT need to relocate the third-brake light. Just elevating it as people have mentioned in this thread works fine. You'll have more than enough room between the 35" tire and the light. If you have the stock plastic bumper, you'll be fine as well. Pictures of my Rubi with 35's is here.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
So for those of you who have raised your CHMSL to the higher position (and have a hard top), are you finding that you have interference issues between the CHMSL frame and your rear wiper arm? The frame is narrower at the top and then widens at a "shoulder" as it moves down toward the uprights. In the upper position, I'm finding that the "shoulder" is too high and rubs on the wiper arm. I see no mention of that here, am I the only one? That being said, the bottom of my CHMSL is still above the top of my spare even with the frame in the lower position. I'm just going to run it like that.

Additionally, I'm running BFG KM3's in a 315/70 on the factory wheels and have no interference issues with my steel bumper. The sidewall bulge however is going to require a small spacer between the wheel and the mounting surface so it's not smashed against the CHMSL frame and the rubber standoffs.

OP
OP
Wrangled

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So for those of you who have raised your CHMSL to the higher position (and have a hard top), are you finding that you have interference issues between the CHMSL frame and your rear wiper arm?
I noticed it was very close but I'm not experiencing any interference myself.

Sponsored

RedSledES

First Name
KMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Hi all. Hoping someone here can help me. Pretty new to mods on my JLU and need some advice.

I just bought the Smittybilt tire relocation bracket and the Redrock hinge reinforcements and I am having an issue. I am running 35x12.5 on my stock 17" rims. I went to put the tire on and no luck. There is not enough thread on the lug bolts to seat the lug nuts. The tire hits the third brake light bracket and also right up against the tire bumpers.

Question- is it my offset that is the issue? Do I need to get new rims? Can I remove the third brake light mount without any stress issues on the center mount and get a spare tire wheel light instead?

Trying to avoid the high cost of getting new rims for the time being.

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I installed 315/70r17 BF KO2s on my JLU with Mopar steel rear bumper and Mopar tier relocation and reinforcement parts, but the tire still rubs on the number. Does anyone have any ideas/solutions? Thank you

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
35's fit my '18 Rubi (steel bumper) with no issues: no rub, no wobble, no modification to brake light.
This tire weighs 5 pounds more than the stock 33.
Reinforcement not necessary IMHO

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I was having issues. Maybe it was operator error because I did have it all done at the dealership. Nonetheless through the towel and traded in now have a JLURX. The question now is should I lift it?

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 2017 WK2, 2018 JLU, 2022 JTOD
I installed 315/70r17 BF KO2s on my JLU with Mopar steel rear bumper and Mopar tier relocation and reinforcement parts, but the tire still rubs on the number. Does anyone have any ideas/solutions? Thank you
37x12.50r17 Patagonias with eBay reinforcement kit plus RedRock spare relocation bracket on stock bumper. Zero issues, no movement whatsoever.
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you need to relocate the third brake light with 35's ??? image
Sponsored