Sponsored

Do you need to relocate the third brake light with 35's ???

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Guys is it necessary to relocate the third brake light with a 35" spare on the Rubicon? I see some of you have done that, but if I don't have to, that would make me happy.

Also was it necessary to get the tailgate reinforcement kit to carry the bigger tire? I'm thinking my new wheel/tire combo is going to exceed the weight guideline.
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Yeah, I’m hearing all assorted differing answers. I need to know too, like, today lol

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I moved mine up. It's easy to do and it clears the 35" spare. Each stalk has 2 torx head screws that hold it in place. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull up on the brake light assy. so that the lower screw is now the upper screw. This moves it up over the top of the tire.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Oh. Yeah. I’m more worried about the tire even fitting on the carrier with a steel bumper (smaller cutout). Conflicting reports galore

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Oh. Yeah. I’m more worried about the tire even fitting on the carrier with a steel bumper (smaller cutout). Conflicting reports galore
I’m having 35s put on tomorrow afternoon. I’ll post my results. I went ahead and added the Mopar tailgate reinforcement for piece of mind. I also raised the 3rd brake light using the method mentioned above. I have the Mopar spare relo but haven’t installed yet, waiting to see if everything fits tomorrow first and I can get away with not using it. Have a rubicon w/ steel bumpers.

Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
My 35 wont clear the bumper on my JLUS stock plastic bumper. Had to install the relocate bracket.

OP
OP
Wrangled

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I moved mine up. It's easy to do and it clears the 35" spare. Each stalk has 2 torx head screws that hold it in place. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull up on the brake light assy. so that the lower screw is now the upper screw. This moves it up over the top of the tire.
Ok so we know this is definitely an option.

I've heard rumors that the 35's do fit on the Rubicon with stock plastic bumper ( which I have ) so I can confirm that next week.

@jhawklive It sounds like the tailgate reinforcement kit is probably wise though. Will order that and wait to see what your results are like tomorrow.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I’ll be honest, the price of the mopar reinforcement bracket makes me sick.

The upgraded steel bumper is less able to take an upgraded larger tire than the base plastic version.

So, I’m looking at $945 to mount a spare wheel on the back.

4A2835AA-887C-4645-A0E1-F1D1738971DA.jpeg

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Mopar tailgate accessories are way overpriced. I struggled with it too. My logic was, if anything happens to my tailgate with the heavier wheel/tire, I’m using “factory” parts so should hopefully eliminate risk of rejecting warranty work.

I found the tailgate reinforcement on amazon for $480. Little better than other retailers.

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sales manager has 35's on his. 3rd brake light has plenty of room on top AND it fits just fine with the plastic bumper. :like:

Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, the price of the mopar reinforcement bracket makes me sick.

The upgraded steel bumper is less able to take an upgraded larger tire than the base plastic version.

So, I’m looking at $945 to mount a spare wheel on the back.

4A2835AA-887C-4645-A0E1-F1D1738971DA.jpeg
“Russians don’t take a dump without a plan”

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
We are going to see if a 37” will fit with the plastic Rubi bumper tomorrow

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
I have a 35” KO2 and plastic bumper. Plenty of space, no issues and no rub on the bumper. Took old tire off, put new one on, done.

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
I have a JLUR with the steel bumper group. I added the Mopar tire relocation and tailgate reinforcement kit. My 3rd brake light clears the tire with no adjustment. Hard to tell from this angle but it clears. Can't speak for any other set ups.

IMG_1147.jpg

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
I'll be relocating the third brake light on mine and also do the reinforce kit. There is a dealer on ebay who has Mopar reinforce kit for $438 and Mopar brake light relo kit for $59. I ordered the pair earlier today.
Sponsored