Sponsored

Do you NEED to lift a 2 door?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Do you NEED to lift a 2 door JL for difficult off-roading? I’m talking about the 8, 9, 10 rated trails in Utah and Colorado.
What trail ratings are you following? Trailsoffroad rates Saints John as a moderate 3-4. "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4th Edition" rates it as difficult, their highest rating. It would be more useful to let us know what trails you would like to run.

If you truly want to run the hardest trails in CO and Moab you will need a lift. You should also be towing your Jeep out there because odds are you will be towing it back and body damage is also likely.

Honestly, I just rent a Jeep in Moab. They limit what trails you can go on, but you still get a good Moab experience without the stress of "this has to get me home".
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
What trail ratings are you following? Trailsoffroad rates Saints John as a moderate 3-4. "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4th Edition" rates it as difficult, their highest rating. It would be more useful to let us know what trails you would like to run.

If you truly want to run the hardest trails in CO and Moab you will need a lift. You should also be towing your Jeep out there because odds are you will be towing it back and body damage is also likely.

Honestly, I just rent a Jeep in Moab. They limit what trails you can go on, but you still get a good Moab experience without the stress of "this has to get me home".
You sir, did not earn your screen name.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good Question. I also wanted to also see how a stock JLR would perform in the 4x4 MECCA of MOAB!!! So one month after I bought my 2 door Rubicon I planned a trip to the MOAB testing fields. The only mod I added to the stock JLR was my old JKU 35" tires and a winch just in case...

I wanted to try hard stuff like some 8 or 9 but I decided to see how some 6 & 7 would treat my non-lifted Wrangler Rubicon (no skid plates, no rock rails). Long story short the most memorable was the TOP of the WORLD which is rated 6 but if you take the hard loop back down its a 7 in some places where I needed to use lockers to get up and around obstacles.

Based on my experience, I would not take a stock non-lifted 2 door past level 8 and with that expect some damage if not lifted. I had to take a couple of bypasses, which is not big deal to me, but NOTE: not all the trails have bypasses once you get deep enough. For example, on a previous trip in my JKU, I tried Kane Creek's Hamburger Hill... There is no going around an uphill rock climb on the side of a cliff with boulders pushing you close to the edge... AND THAT TRAIL IS RATED A 7 (but I think that hamburger hill section should be an 8). I saw 2 doors on the trail but they were all modified/lifted except for ONE which had to be winched up and around obstacles.

Here are some pics from that TOP of the WORLD adventure with no lift on 35s for perspective.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? TopoftheWorld2
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? TopoftheWorld1
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? TopoftheWorld

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? Moab 1st time

It was fun to see the capabilities of the stock Rubicon, which is very capable!
But I always planned to build this 2 door 2 seater JLR with a 2.5 lift on 37s regardless of the Moab test. :) I like the look and extra articulation when needed. Plus with the right lifted suspension, it is more conformable to drive on the road. The stock Rubicon suspension was too stiff, plus the 37 BFGs @ 30psi adds some plushness...

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? The JL Rubicon

Whether its for looks or capabilities, build it how you like, its going to be a memorable adventure either way. My built 2.5lift on 37s is ready for Hamburger Hill but I don't think I will ever do 9 rated trails in a 2 door. Some stairstep ledges in MOAB are too vertical.... AND in regards to 10 rated trails, that's buggy-only territory IMHO :) CHEERS!!!

Last edited:

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
I think the short answer is yes. However, if you need to ask this question I'm not sure you're ready for 8,9,10 trails.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Thanks for all the great responses and pictures. Some of you understood my question more than others. I'm not asking if a stock 2 door Rubicon can survive a buggy trail. Not asking if need to tow my rig to Moab if I want to try the hard stuff, nor am I asking about EJS.

What I asked was, if people out there are trying 8+ rated trails in Moab in a 2 door JL Rubicon with no lift. From the responses the answer to my question is that people are successfully completing 6-8 rated trails with no lift in a Rubicon and lifted Sports.

A lot of you 4 door people chiming in for no reason. We already know the sweet spot for a JLU on these trails is 37s with 2.5 to 3.5 inches of lift. I don't think you'd want a 2 door sitting that high out in Moab.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
...nor am I asking about EJS...

What I asked was, ... 8+ rated trails in Moab ...
Minor misunderstanding here - EJS is run by the Red Rocks 4 Wheelers, and RR4W is the group that creates/maintains the rating numbers for the trails around Moab.

So whether or not you're planning on doing EJS, and whether you're 2 door or 4 door, RR4W descriptions of trail ratings in Moab is potentially helpful to anyone planning a wheeling trip in Moab.

If you choose not to read those descriptions because you don't think they're relevant to you, well, that's on you. No, there won't be anyone there at the gate checking your equipment for you or trying to keep you out. Just your own wisdom, or lack thereof.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Minor misunderstanding here - EJS is run by the Red Rocks 4 Wheelers, and RR4W is the group that creates/maintains the rating numbers for the trails around Moab.

So whether or not you're planning on doing EJS, and whether you're 2 door or 4 door, RR4W descriptions of trail ratings in Moab is potentially helpful to anyone planning a wheeling trip in Moab.

If you choose not to read those descriptions because you don't think they're relevant to you, well, that's on you. No, there won't be anyone there at the gate checking your equipment for you or trying to keep you out. Just your own wisdom, or lack thereof.
Oh, I know this. I've read trail guides and ratings from just about every source out there and watched hours of video content. I'm asking for real world experiences of people in 2 door JLs.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Have fun. Keep it shiny side up, greasy side down.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I think you’ll quickly find out that you will be the limiting factor, not your Jeep. Although I think you can do it , just not sure you should do it. 3-5 trails will be intimidating to most flatlanders let alone 8-10s.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
@shane340

Shane,
Here's my lifted 2019 2 door Sport on 35's. There is nowhere I wouldn't consider going in my home state of Colorado. Granted without lockers I'm not looking at the really extreme stuff, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from most anything.
Seems like a contradictory statement to me? Nowhere you wouldn't go, not looking for extreme stuff, wouldn't shy away from most anything? Would you run holy cross or Pritchett canyon? The Rubicon trail even? Yes they can be done in a 2 door on 35's, but it will likely mean body damage, lots of dragging undercarriage, frame, sliders, axles, etc, and a ton of work with winching, pulls from other rigs, and/or stacking rocks. I've done the Rubicon on everything from 33's to 37's over the years, and even in the same vehicle the larger tires and higher ground clearance are much more fun. At this point in my life I just want to wheel, not stack rocks, pull cable, or rebuild half my rig on the side of the trail. That is why we run a lift and big tires, a JLUR with push button convenience for sway bar discos and lockers, but still run a winch and carry plenty of other recovery gear. Better to have and not need than need and not have in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I think you’ll quickly find out that you will be the limiting factor, not your Jeep. Although I think you can do it , just not sure you should do it. 3-5 trails will be intimidating to most flatlanders let alone 8-10s.
At least the steep climbs won't be covered in 7 inches of snow and ice like they are in WI and MI :)

I probably will be the limiting factor, certainly happened before.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Seems like a contradictory statement to me? Nowhere you wouldn't go, not looking for extreme stuff, wouldn't shy away from most anything? Would you run holy cross or Pritchett canyon? The Rubicon trail even? Yes they can be done in a 2 door on 35's, but it will likely mean body damage, lots of dragging undercarriage, frame, sliders, axles, etc, and a ton of work with winching, pulls from other rigs, and/or stacking rocks. I've done the Rubicon on everything from 33's to 37's over the years, and even in the same vehicle the larger tires and higher ground clearance are much more fun. At this point in my life I just want to wheel, not stack rocks, pull cable, or rebuild half my rig on the side of the trail. That is why we run a lift and big tires, a JLUR with push button convenience for sway bar discos and lockers, but still run a winch and carry plenty of other recovery gear. Better to have and not need than need and not have in my opinion.
He did say "in his home state of CO", last time I checked pritchett and rubicon trail were elsewhere. Thanks for the info though. If I'm going to be dragging the undercarriage to the point of breaking in a 2 door JL rubicon on 35s then I'll be turning around...

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Zach,

You're right I should have said "Nowhere I wouldn't go, within reason."

No I am not looking for body damage, carnage or broken mechanics. But I won't shy away from much else. Perhaps difficult to severe but certainly not severe to extreme. Six maybe seven tops. And yes, no Holy Cross adventure in this rig.

Still, with a lift on 35's I can go on most forest service trails throughout Colorado. Will I chance doing something insane? Nope, this is my daily driver after all.

Furthermore, I have no plans for anything larger than 35's. That would certainly require regearing. I'm in my happy place.

I'll leave the cliff climbing, boulder bouncing, rock rolling crap to the buggies, the true professionals or the crazies with deep pockets. My desire is to see way more of the Rocky Mountain wilderness, but not necessarily grind my way through it.

I've got the perfect setup for that.

Cheers,
Jay

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If I'm going to be dragging the undercarriage to the point of breaking in a 2 door JL rubicon on 35s then I'll be turning around...
One of my early take aways from wheeling rocks without a lift was the lack of undercarriage protection. I armored up heavily ASAP and soon after lifted for 37's. No regrets, just wish Artec Industries would release their 2 dr. aluminum belly pan and my rig would be complete for my needs.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You sir, did not earn your screen name.
My bad! lemme try again....

Independence Trail is one of Colorado's most scenic Jeep trails, yet it remains one of our best kept secrets. It's only about 1/4 mile long so you can use it as a stunning lunch spot while exploring the area. I recommend running it east to west, starting in the bottom of the canyon and climbing to the top for the most stunning reveal of the view, eat lunch, then take a connecting trail out or just pop back down into the canyon if you're looking to escape the heat. Be sure to take along some extra snacks for the friendly wildlife you can find sunning on the rocks (cute sneks and fuzzy tarantulas). There are some big enough steps to make things fun, but nothing you can't get onto with a little bump of the throttle. If it's wet your tires may slip a little but "when in doubt, throttle out" meaning just put your foot all the way down, scream out "America!" and let the Jeep do the work for you. Hope you have an amazing trip, don't forget to like and subscribe, and hit that bell so you'll be notified when I come back with my next trail review.
Sponsored

Last edited: