Sponsored

Do you NEED to lift a 2 door?

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Do you NEED to lift a 2 door JL for difficult off-roading? I’m talking about the 8, 9, 10 rated trails in Utah and Colorado. I’m aware that anything easier you don’t need a lift. I live in the Midwest and you can get by on 95% of trails with 33s easy peasy. I have stock JLR on 35s and wonder how far I can get on an 8 rated trail in Moab. I have a 10 day trip planned in April so I’ll be able to actually test it out for myself. Wondering what others have experienced taking their non lifted and lifted 2 door JL Rubicons on the most difficult of trails out west. Those with a lift, did you feel like it was needed? And those without, how did it go?
Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've not been to MOAB myself but have read that every obstacle there has a bypass.

I too am in the not-lifted group (albeit with a 4dr) with a stock Rubi (with a winch added) on 33s. My plan is to 1. See how much free time to actually off-road the thing, 2. Go to as many different places I can without a lift to, 3. See how I feel when I have to take the bypass.

If, after all that, I feel like I'm truly missing out on any considerable amount of fun, I'll consider a lift. Though, I'm a year into the plan and still leaning towards not lifting it.

Might just keep the 33s but get 12.5 widths instead of 11s for purely aesthetic reasons when the EOM tires need to be replaced.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@shane340

Shane,
Here's my lifted 2019 2 door Sport on 35's. There is nowhere I wouldn't consider going in my home state of Colorado. Granted without lockers I'm not looking at the really extreme stuff, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from most anything.

Been to Moab and easily tackled difficult to severe trails with no issues. I've been on many trails here in CO where I made it up just fine where some Rubicon's needed assistance. So the larger rubber certainly does help. From my perspective the lift and 35's clearly doesn't hurt.

The only other thing I would not go wheeling without are the Sway bar Quick Disconnects. The extra articulation in keeping my front axle on the ground greatly enhances the ability of my 12.5" wide all-terrain rubber to maintain traction.

These things are pretty capable as it is, but with a little help they're fribben awesome.

Have fun.
Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? InShot_20220214_082813942
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? InShot_20220214_082420370
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you NEED to lift a 2 door? InShot_20200915_223133135

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
@shane340

Shane,
Here's my lifted 2019 2 door Sport on 35's. There is nowhere I wouldn't consider going in my home state of Colorado. Granted without lockers I'm not looking at the really extreme stuff, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from most anything.

Been to Moab and easily tackled difficult to severe trails with no issues. I've been on many trails here in CO where I made it up just fine where some Rubicon's needed assistance. So the larger rubber certainly does help. From my perspective the lift and 35's clearly doesn't hurt.

The only other thing I would not go wheeling without are the Sway bar Quick Disconnects. The extra articulation in keeping my front axle on the ground greatly enhances the ability of my 12.5" wide all-terrain rubber to maintain traction.

These things are pretty capable as it is, but with a little help they're fribben awesome.

Have fun.
Jay

Those look meaty.
OP, considering what my old YJ could do stock, I'd say a lift is optional. Especially on a Rubicon.
I'm also considering wider 33's on aftermarket 17's.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
No, you don’t NEED a lift. Drive the darn thing and odds are you’ll be happy-if not, you can always get a lift at any time. Decent tires and self rescue equipment will serve you better out the gate than a lift will.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP, give it a go. You'll probably be the only stocker on 8,9,10 rated trails. I scraped, banged and drug my JLR around for several months before modifying. Doing so gives you an understanding of whats needed vs folks offering advise.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
@shane340

Shane,

Have fun.
Jay

Great pictures Jay! I can’t wait spend a week in CO.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
OP, give it a go. You'll probably be the only stocker on 8,9,10 rated trails. I scraped, banged and drug my JLR around for several months before modifying. Doing so gives you an understanding of whats needed vs folks offering advise.
Heck yeah, I think that’s the way to do it!

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I've not been to MOAB myself but have read that every obstacle there has a bypass.

I too am in the not-lifted group (albeit with a 4dr) with a stock Rubi (with a winch added) on 33s. My plan is to 1. See how much free time to actually off-road the thing, 2. Go to as many different places I can without a lift to, 3. See how I feel when I have to take the bypass.

If, after all that, I feel like I'm truly missing out on any considerable amount of fun, I'll consider a lift. Though, I'm a year into the plan and still leaning towards not lifting it.

Might just keep the 33s but get 12.5 widths instead of 11s for purely aesthetic reasons when the EOM tires need to be replaced.
33x12.5 do look nice, the wider footprint will absolutely make a difference off-road as well. You should look into 315/70r17 KO2. They will fit in your stock Rubi without a lift. I’ve been running them for little over a year on AEV wheels and love them. They’ll work with stock wheels as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
No, you don’t NEED a lift. Drive the darn thing and odds are you’ll be happy-if not, you can always get a lift at any time. Decent tires and self rescue equipment will serve you better out the gate than a lift will.
I agree! Winch plate and winch were the first additions that I made.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Do you NEED to lift a 2 door JL for difficult off-roading? I’m talking about the 8, 9, 10 rated trails in Utah and Colorado. I’m aware that anything easier you don’t need a lift. I live in the Midwest and you can get by on 95% of trails with 33s easy peasy. I have stock JLR on 35s and wonder how far I can get on an 8 rated trail in Moab. I have a 10 day trip planned in April so I’ll be able to actually test it out for myself. Wondering what others have experienced taking their non lifted and lifted 2 door JL Rubicons on the most difficult of trails out west. Those with a lift, did you feel like it was needed? And those without, how did it go?
What we seem to have here is a failure to communicate. You're from back east and you have a "stock JLR on 35s" and are wondering how far you "can get on an 8 rated trail in Moab. Other folks from back east are giving you advice, plus Jay is showing you pictures of his JL on maybe 6 rated areas in CO and Sourdough is saying "just send it" on 8, 9, and 10 rated trails and see what happens. Sourdough might be chuckling as he says that. We sometimes have sardonic senses of humor out here.

Look, I don't want to rain on your parade; but, if you're going to be a first timer in the Moab area and intending to try 8, 9, and 10 rated trails, you might want to start by going to the Red Rock 4-Wheelers website (https://www.rr4w.com). They're the local club in Moab and know the area and the trails. Scroll down to their Trail Ratings page (https://www.rr4w.com/ratings.cfm), look at what they recommend on vehicles for 8, 9, and 10 rated trails, and remember that, although they may seem cautious, they're actually all very experienced local lunatics, not newbies. Note where they warn, for 7 and 8 rated trails, that vehicle mechanical or body damage is likely and roll over possibilities exist; that, for a 9 rated trail, roll over is very common; and that, for a 10 rated trail, they say Let the carnage begin! Buggy territory. Street driven 4X4’s should not attempt this trail. Modified factory vehicles will not be able to complete this trail. Next, look at the trails they've "adopted" as a club on their RR4W Trails page (RR4W Trails).

You can also give them a call or send an email and ask for clarification. If you have a trip planned in April, then you need to know their big annual Easter Jeep Safari runs from April 9 to April 17, 2022. Although they have imposed a limit on the number of participants on any one trip, many trails are still going to be thoroughly backed up, if not gridlocked. If you're not signed up for the Safari, some trails are closed to nonparticipants. If you are signed up for the Safari, then you need to file a "profile" on yourself and your Jeep in order to join your group and will need to be in touch with them anyway.

Again, I don't want to rain on your parade and I get as much of a kick out of a newbie from back east destroying a new or relatively new Jeep as any other grumpy old curmudgeon; but, I've watched a twisted up, pulled apart, and fully disabled stock Gladiator have to get towed back to town after taking the wrong line on even Wipeout, which only a 6 at worst. It hurts my soul to see that much damage to a nice Jeep.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Young pedawan, the question isn’t “do you NEED a lift”. The question is “do you WANT a lift”. :)

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What we seem to have here is a failure to communicate. You're from back east and you have a "stock JLR on 35s" and are wondering how far you "can get on an 8 rated trail in Moab. Other folks from back east are giving you advice, plus Jay is showing you pictures of his JL on maybe 6 rated areas in CO and Sourdough is saying "just send it" on 8, 9, and 10 rated trails and see what happens. Sourdough might be chuckling as he says that. We sometimes have sardonic senses of humor out here.
Old Mike, You miss quoted me and took my post out of context. I resent your insinuation that I'm " sardonic" and "a grumpy old curmudgeon". However I am 70. Sir, May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.
Sponsored