Sponsored

Do you idle before turning off your EcoDiesel?

Do you idle before shutdown?

• What manual? Why should I idle?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Well, since I'm waiting for delivery, might as well read the manual to get a little joy.. right?

Came across this part and created a poll - do you idle be after driving your ED?

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you idle before turning off your EcoDiesel? idle.JPG
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I have a Banks iDash that I can use to monitor temps. I idle until it's in a good temp range.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
To expand on my “sometimes but not regularly” vote - I haven’t found myself in many situations where I’m pulling hard and just stop. Even getting off the freeway to refuel I’m usually idling as I coast down the off-ramp and then idling around the station to the pump. Coming home it’s 3 miles of 35, then a couple minutes in the neighborhood.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Well, since I'm waiting for delivery, might as well read the manual to get a little joy.. right?

Came across this part and created a poll - do you idle be after driving your ED?

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you idle before turning off your EcoDiesel? idle.JPG
Always idle down to cool the turbo so the oil in it doesn’t cook. Just use common sense, a minute or so if just cruising around, more after a hard run.

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Always idle down to cool the turbo so the oil in it doesn’t cook. Just use common sense, a minute or so if just cruising around, more after a hard run.
One of the reasons I posted is because I'm new to diesels and I'm used to gassers where you park and shut down. It wouldn't be common sense for me to cool down a turbo because I do not have experience with it. I get what you're saying, but also trying to show that not everyone may know you need to idle (like me :) )

Sponsored

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
To expand on my “sometimes but not regularly” vote - I haven’t found myself in many situations where I’m pulling hard and just stop. Even getting off the freeway to refuel I’m usually idling as I coast down the off-ramp and then idling around the station to the pump. Coming home it’s 3 miles of 35, then a couple minutes in the neighborhood.
that's kind of what I was thinking. If I'm just idling the last few hundred feet and then into the driveway, does that count as "idling".

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the reasons I posted is because I'm new to diesels and I'm used to gassers where you park and shut down. It wouldn't be common sense for me to cool down a turbo because I do not have experience with it. I get what you're saying, but also trying to show that not everyone may know you need to idle (like me :) )
It’s also good to give them a minute to warm and get the oil circulating. Always gave the big rigs at least 3 minute idle down, much more after a hard pull. 4M+ miles and never lost a turbo

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's kind of what I was thinking. If I'm just idling the last few hundred feet and then into the driveway, does that count as "idling".
Common sense again, under hood temperatures are extremely high on diesels, better safe than sorry

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m thinking that idling while rolling is a great way to reduce high engine bay temps since you’re getting better airflow. Keep in mind our turbos use coolant instead of engine oil to control heat and that pump continues circulating coolant after the engine is turned off.

I’m not saying never idle down, I’m saying I rarely find myself in situations that warrant it. If I was pulling a heavy camper (for example) I’d darn sure idle it for a bit, and probably wouldn’t shut down until after I was done fueling.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
You probably have to idle down the gasser 2.0t as well. I haven’t looked it up but you idle down because of the turbo not because it’s a diesel.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but diesels run much higher boost creating more back pressure therefore more heat. Get the banks I dash that was recommended and eliminate guesswork

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I don't own one of these diesel Jeeps but I worked as an ASE diesel mechanic for 18 years so I know you always idle turbocharged diesel engines before shutting the down. Time-frame is related to activity before stopping and temperature of the engine.

What all engines need is idle time or just some low speed driving time to equalize the head and block temperatures after highway driving, high performance type driving or hauling and towing. Not doing this is where most head gasket failures and head cracking originate from. Shutting down early afterwards puts lots of fatigue on the heads and head gaskets. And of course, turbochargers benefit even more from doing the afore mentioned

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Just took a look, that thing is like a swiss army knife. All kinds of information.
Basically any sensor in the network can be displayed. And they're all on the CAN bus so you can look at anything you want. I managed to find 8 of them to keep permanently displayed when I drive and that's my main page. But if I wanted I could switch between multiple pages.

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Basically any sensor in the network can be displayed. And they're all on the CAN bus so you can look at anything you want. I managed to find 8 of them to keep permanently displayed when I drive and that's my main page. But if I wanted I could switch between multiple pages.
Which ones do you monitor? Do you have the code #s?
Sponsored