Sponsored

Do you idle before turning off your EcoDiesel?

Do you idle before shutdown?

• What manual? Why should I idle?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Which ones do you monitor? Do you have the code #s?
Not in front of me. I'm in a staff meeting right now but I can post a picture of my setup later today.
Sponsored

Reactions: ECP

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I’m thinking that idling while rolling is a great way to reduce high engine bay temps since you’re getting better airflow. Keep in mind our turbos use coolant instead of engine oil to control heat and that pump continues circulating coolant after the engine is turned off.

I’m not saying never idle down, I’m saying I rarely find myself in situations that warrant it. If I was pulling a heavy camper (for example) I’d darn sure idle it for a bit, and probably wouldn’t shut down until after I was done fueling.
This. You can hear that pump running to the turbo housing for a few minutes after the engine is off. Makes sense to add some idle time if there has been recent high-load driving, but that’s probably less than 5% of most folks’ miles. I’m usually dealing with the opposite problem of oil/coolant/turbo high temps in AK anyhow.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have owned two Diesel Pickup trucks for approx 21 years. I dont sit there and idle the engine, to cool the turbo charger down, unless I've run it hard, right before I park it. Normal, easy driving, just before shutdown, is enough to cool things down. I've never had engine, or turbo issues. Neither have any of my friends with diesel pickups. Then again, running full synthetic oil will prevent a lot of issues.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've been using the Scan Gauge II for a couple of years to monitor turbo temp on my EcoDiesels. I don't shut down the engine until I'm well below 500F.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
But..but...but.... 2.0T's are people too. Do we also have to worry about letting out turbo oil cool?

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
If I have been running hard, such as highway speeds for extended time, I will let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it off. This is the reason why my turbo loves me.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
It was really the old oil cooled Vgt turbos that needed to have their egts around 300 to shut down to avoid oil/soot build up. These are water cooled ceramic ball bearings (I believe).

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Just like turbo timers for import turbo cars, might be useful after running it hard but idling a minute or two parked, with no air flow opposed to cruising low speed and normal driving, meh.... might be more extra gadgetry than usefulness. An extra 30 seconds won't hurt, but how much it's actually cooling off during that period; debatable. Good oil and frequent changes are the best for turbo anything running higher compression and higher EGTs, increased boost, etc. The more TLC the better. I'm new to diesels but I'd imagine the general engine/turbo etiquette still applies.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Just like turbo timers for import turbo cars, might be useful after running it hard but idling a minute or two parked, with no air flow opposed to cruising low speed and normal driving, meh.... might be more extra gadgetry than usefulness. An extra 30 seconds won't hurt, but how much it's actually cooling off during that period; debatable. Good oil and frequent changes are the best for turbo anything running higher compression and higher EGTs, increased boost, etc. The more TLC the better. I'm new to diesels but I'd imagine the general engine/turbo etiquette still applies.
If you get something like a Banks iDash you can watch temps in real time.

You'd be surprised at how fast temps come down sitting stationary and idling, even for just a minute after running hard.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
If you get something like a Banks iDash you can watch temps in real time.

You'd be surprised at how fast temps come down sitting stationary and idling, even for just a minute after running hard.
yeah I definitely will add that in time, but not interested in tuning anything within my warranty period and want to keep things simple and reliable as possible for simplicity's sake.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
yeah I definitely will add that in time, but not interested in tuning anything within my warranty period and want to keep things simple and reliable as possible for simplicity's sake.
You can do just the iDash with no tuner.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That would be great, does it just plug into the OBDII port? run the cable, dash mount it and call it a day? It's nice to have plug n play things
Yep. It's a modular system with an OBD plug. You can start with just the gauge and add more later. And Banks sells just the parts to add features if you already have some parts so you don't have to buy the same thing twice.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I use Scan Guage II and shut down when turbo/EGT1 temp gets at or below 450. Even after a hard 20 mile + highway run, by the time I pull up into the driveway after stopping at one or two stop lights after the exit, and 30-35mph driving for a mile or two, temp falls below 450.