Sponsored

Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
BlackVue front and rear. Wiring is fairly simple. Tucked up above top trim and (I think) I just pulled the weatherstripping to get it down the side. A cig-lighter plug could easily be run this way.

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1521.png
Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Didn’t you need to remove the grab handle? I looked, but there’s not enough of a gap to push a wire.
I’m really not sure where the wire goes once you’ve fed it down the a-piller

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t you need to remove the grab handle? I looked, but there’s not enough of a gap to push a wire. I’m really not sure where the wire goes once you’ve fed it down the a-piller
I'll take a look.... but running the wires inside was not difficult. My hardest task was finding an accessory circuit to tie into at the main fuse panel in the engine bay. Other than that it was easy peasy.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
That’s the easy bit. I’ve the aux switches so the wiring is in the passenger side by the footwell. Nice job jeep!

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just use a Go pro cam with rugged ridge dash mount. It also holds my phone so i sometimes use that for a rear facing cam too.
IMG_0479.JPG

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Ok. So I had a go. It’s tricky but after taking apart the jeep I can see that there’s no great need to do so. Lol

1 without pulling the jeep apart

Pull away the panel above the windscreen. It needs a bit of a tug, but loosens enough to feed the cables through. The right and left edges probably won’t come out, but you can push any wires through.

The wires will pass in front of the A-pillar, from where they can easily pass down the channel to the footwell.

2 with pulling it apart

Much trickier. Useful to have a trim tool....plastic screwdriver
1. Remove speaker cover on the top of the dash
2. Pop the small cover off the top and bottom of the grab handle....then use a hex drive to undo and remove the two fixing bolts. The cover should then pull off with just a little force. Be careful, I found a cable junction box under there.
3 remove the plastic cover inside the roll bar above the door. R hex screws ... two inside and 2 underneath. The cover pulls off easily enough, but be careful....I found a wire ...possibility either the gps antenna or the digital radio antenna
4 now you can pop out and lower the plastic cover at the top of the screen.

Screen shot shows where my cable went

E749FCE7-AB59-4300-91AA-643CFF3E9F94.jpeg

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
In the picture, the yellow arrows show where I actually passed the cables and used red tape to keep them giddy.

The blue arrows show the alternative path that could be used to pass the wires without removing the panels

D5C1EC39-58F8-493E-B3BC-4C8F93B4A8D0.jpeg

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My dashcam came with a long mini-USB /USB cable. Is it just as simple as (1) cutting off the USB connector and (2) connecting the positive wire to an AUX wire and the negative wire to a ground? Or is there something else that I need to connect? I haven't used any of the AUX switches yet and don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I installed a dashcam this week and ran the wires along the headliner, removed the passenger grab bar and continued to run the wires down the pillar. I connected the power to aux 4 and grounded it behind the kick panel.
Same...

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My dashcam came with a long mini-USB /USB cable. Is it just as simple as (1) cutting off the USB connector and (2) connecting the positive wire to an AUX wire and the negative wire to a ground? Or is there something else that I need to connect? I haven't used any of the AUX switches yet and don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

i am not a certified electrician, but from what I do know, if you have a cable that has a USB connector on the end to be plugged into a USB outlet for power, that cable is expecting 5 volts (the USB standard). If you cut the end off and wire to an Aux switch in the Jeep, you are going to be giving it 12 volts.

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I installed a dashcam this week and ran the wires along the headliner, removed the passenger grab bar and continued to run the wires down the pillar. I connected the power to aux 4 and grounded it behind the kick panel.
same here. BlackVue, and passed the rear camera cable under the plastic floor liners. Trickiest was actually connecting up the Aux wiring as it had been really securely tied out of the way.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I was shopping online for a dashcam hardwire kit to use with one of the OEM Aux switches. My son suggested that we use the long USB cable that came with the dashcam and cannibalize an old cigarette lighter USB adapter to use as a voltage regulator under the dashboard. A couple of solders and crimp connectors later… Success!

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200604_170523
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200603_190143
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? IMG_20200603_192835
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? IMG_20200603_192309
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? IMG_20200603_194005

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
When designing the camera system for MY*JLUR I had several goals.

#1 360 camera with NVR
#2 High definition recordings to show licene plates
#3 24x7 recording without risk of battery drain
#4 work with jeep in all configurations, including windshield down, top off, soft top, hard top.

There was not a single product on the market that would do this, so I ended up with 2 systems. A low resolution 360 camera setup and a blackvue drives.

For the dr900s I used the factory windsield mount and drilled holes into the plastic trim above the rear view mirror. Using 2 small machine screws and nuts I secured it in place. The wiring runs within the trim and is powered by my ignition power wire (included with tow package) at the passenger footwear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_150928

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_150944

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_150957

The spare wire showing is for a radar detector.

The NVR for 360 is also powered from same harness, and both camera systems are fed from a low power disconnect circuit.

I bought the low power circuit here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8C9JW9
I made a 3d printed box to hold the circuit and ran the wires thru this box.

The power for the engine wire is actually connected to the small battery. As a result it will run low much faster. I have found that recordings will last for 4 days with lbco set at 11.9v. If the doors are opened and closed 2 separate times, that will immediately trigger lbco.

The rear camera for the dr900s required accommodating the hard top and soft top/naked. I ordered an extra mount, and ran the cord in a way that it had enough slack for either location. The excess is stored in the trim.
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_151021

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_153323
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_153310

This picture above is with the soft top on. The mount is stuck to the paint and several 3m cable clips hold the cord in place.

The hard top is shown here:
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you have a dash cam on your wrangler ? How do you arrange the wire? 20200606_151045
Sponsored