Sponsored

Do we have to run premium?

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I do, but it’s not a “requirement”
Is it however recommended in the user manual.
Many run regular without issues.
Where is the 93 recommendation in the owner's? I've been debating running it as I've read maybe a few HP increase but didn't see anything in the owners manual about it being recommended.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
87 is required.
91 or higher is NOT “recommended” per se as it is only referenced with two specific operating conditions.

I have a 3.6 but if I had the 2.0, I would try various tanks of gas throughout the year and see if I notice any difference for the way I drive and the types of driving I do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do we have to run premium? E3488E61-1AAD-45C3-8998-6127F917C97B

Last edited:

Sponsored

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
If you want your engine to perform at its absolute best, use 91 or higher. It may not be a huge difference but the chances of the engine performing less efficiently and with less power rises when you use lower octane fuel.
I use 93 (91 isn’t really near me).

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I use 90 octane, non ethanol, in the hot summer months.
89 octane, 5% ethanol, in cooler weather. I do notice a slight difference in performance, fuel economy is still mid to high 20s, as the computer system adjusts.
The price difference between 89 octane, non ethanol 90 is
30 cents. 60 cents , 87 to 90.... I don't care for the " feel" of 87 octane, 89 is good. 90 is....fun.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Here's a link to a poll I did recently....Shows about 2 out of 3 that have responded running premium.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...turbo-owners-what-grade-gas-do-you-use.60107/

I spent a lot of time looking into the issue to try and make an informed decision on what I want to run. Also, talked to two different service managers at a couple Jeep dealerships.

Basically from all I've gathered, definitely don't need to run premium. The 2.0T engine is built with sensors to make adjustments that should prevent knocks if 87 octane is used.

However, performance can be enhanced by using 91 or higher. I think basically because the engine doesn't have to engage those anti-knock systems because it isn't sensing lower octane gas. Therefore it runs optimally.

What exactly is optimally? Well, that's probably debatable. Some won't notice any difference either way. Maybe you get a little better mileage but too many factors involved to really be sure. Maybe you get a little more peak HP, but IDK.

Personally, I don't even have my Jeep yet as it's on order. But I've decided I'll be running premium. I guess I just believe it'll be better over the long term for the engine and I plan to keep this for awhile. From what I've read, I just think these Turbo engines are happier with higher octane gas.

But I also think everything would probably still be fine running 87 also.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Get a gas discount card at whatever regional gas chain in your area. You will get higher discounts on the premium gas as regular is already pretty competitive.

In my area the local Wawa with discount gets me 93 for not a lot more than 87 so it's worth it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I use 90 octane, non ethanol, in the hot summer months.
89 octane, 5% ethanol, in cooler weather. I do notice a slight difference in performance, fuel economy is still mid to high 20s, as the computer system adjusts.
The price difference between 89 octane, non ethanol 90 is
30 cents. 60 cents , 87 to 90.... I don't care for the " feel" of 87 octane, 89 is good. 90 is....fun.
High 20’s .....I wish I could get 20 on the highway

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
If you want your engine to perform at its absolute best, use 91 or higher. It may not be a huge difference but the chances of the engine performing less efficiently and with less power rises when you use lower octane fuel.
I use 93 (91 isn’t really near me).
Octane has nothing to do with power.

Follow the addendum in your manual, specifically placed there, for the 2.0T.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Get a gas discount card at whatever regional gas chain in your area. You will get higher discounts on the premium gas as regular is already pretty competitive.

In my area the local Wawa with discount gets me 93 for not a lot more than 87 so it's worth it.
that might be worth looking into. Thank you guys.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Winter blend has started here. My mileage increased from 17.3 to 18.0 on my last 2 tanks.

Edit: Sorry, I didn’t notice that this is the 2.0 section. I have the 3.6
Sponsored

Last edited: