Sponsored

Do the inner bead seating areas on non-beadlock wheels vary in design? Is Method's bead grip the only variation, and are my fifteen52 wheels alright?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Alright, still working out this wheels situation and just got my Fifteen52 Traverse HDs in and am now waiting on tires and lift. I was reading into Method's bead grip-equipped wheels and the idea is really appealing. Basically a taller inner wall along with ribs that hold the bead a little better in low-psi wheeling situations:
Jeep Wrangler JL Do the inner bead seating areas on non-beadlock wheels vary in design? Is Method's bead grip the only variation, and are my fifteen52 wheels alright? Bead_Grip_Tire_5de4c783-597a-443e-97a2-463933b1dabb_2048x-2

Now, I know the ribbing is going to probably be exclusive to Method, but in looking at the Fifteen52 wheels that leftmost bead retaining wall looks a little small. Since I don't typically see wheels from the side (and it's hard to find photos of them like this online), does the size of this retaining wall vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, and ultimately does it make all too much of a difference in a low pressure situation that would possibly unseat a bead?

Here's one of my Fifteen52 wheels looking at the same area:
Jeep Wrangler JL Do the inner bead seating areas on non-beadlock wheels vary in design? Is Method's bead grip the only variation, and are my fifteen52 wheels alright? f52bead

Is this typical and is there anything else I can do to further protect a tire bead from unseating if I do wheel the Jeep quite a bit, with the Rubicon trail in the cards soon? I have a chance to possibly swap these but I really like the wheel so would be a bummer to move to a set that I don't like as much, or a beadlock - I've been trying to keep the rotating mass down. Not fully opposed though.

Thanks for the input here, I'm finally on the home stretch of this round of upgrades.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I personally prefer the non ribbed, because it allows more rubber to wheel contact, or stiction. That inner ledge needs to be taller to offset the loss of stiction created by the beads.

In my opinion the smooth is just as good, if not better than the ribs. Stick with the ones you already have, and like better anyways.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Is this typical and is there anything else I can do to further protect a tire bead from unseating if I do wheel the Jeep quite a bit, with the Rubicon trail in the cards soon?
There are simple solutions to fix the unseating issue. Buy double bead locks.

When you get your tires measure the bead thickness. The bead thickness will change from tire to tire. Some are 1/2" and some are 1" with every thickness in between.

If your bead thickness doesn't seat inside the bead seat you'll have issues.

The ribs have been done in the super car territory for a long time. I'm not a big fan of it.

Beadthickness.jpg
Sponsored