Sponsored

Do the factory steel bumpers hold up in the rocks?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Im not over concerned about the front one either. I actually like it a lot but it does not come with D ring mounts and I need those to flat tow it. So, $2700 for Steel bumper group and heavy duty sliders plus $350 for D ring kit and I am over $3,000. Looks like for that money or a couple huny more I can get stronger aftermarket parts.
I’ve always installed after market bumpers. However I never paid much attention to weight. Not I have a 2021 JLUR and weight is as important to me as price.

While after market bumpers are heavier and stronger, your frame is more at risk of damage, versus Jeep steel bumpers. Ask me how I know. :)
Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I’ve always installed after market bumpers. However I never paid much attention to weight. Not I have a 2021 JLUR and weight is as important to me as price.

While after market bumpers are heavier and stronger, your frame is more at risk of damage, versus Jeep steel bumpers. Ask me how I know. :)
OK- I'll take the bait...

How do you know?

rlnAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4XE Sting Gray

I want to know too!

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I bumped into a tree while wheeling and put a dent in one of the end caps. I wasn't too concerned since I planned on removing them anyway. However, a few months later I tried to install a Mopar winch guard and the bolt holes wouldn't line up with the bumper. That's when I noticed I also bent the bumper in on that side, creating a crease in the metal. I was climbing a hill in 4 wheel low at the time and although going slow it was a pretty solid hit. Also, since the impact was on the end of the cap there was more leverage to act on the bumper.

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_1101.jpg

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I bumped into a tree while wheeling and put a dent in one of the end caps. I wasn't too concerned since I planned on removing them anyway. However, a few months later I tried to install a Mopar winch guard and the bolt holes wouldn't line up with the bumper. That's when I noticed I also bent the bumper in on that side, creating a crease in the metal. I was climbing a hill in 4 wheel low at the time and although going slow it was a pretty solid hit. Also, since the impact was on the end of the cap there was more leverage to act on the bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do the factory steel bumpers hold up in the rocks? IMG_1101

Jeep Wrangler JL Do the factory steel bumpers hold up in the rocks? IMG_1101
Crazy. Thanks for sharing.

Note to self: remove end caps off-road.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Fact steel bumpers are $1700 plus I need a winch plate and d-ring mounts to flat tow so thats another $600.
For $2300 I can get stronger aftermarket bumpers.
Sponsored