Do Stock Springs Wear Out?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have a 2021 JLUR that's pretty much stock. I do have a Warn EVO 10s winch, steel bumpers, and the air lift air bags in the rears. The air bags have probably about 5psi of air in them, just to keep them from getting pinched.

I feel like something funny is going on with the Jeep. When I checked the caster by way of the pumpkin, I was seeing 2 degrees tonight and about 6.something on the bottom of the knuckle. I thought that was a bit much for a stock Rubicon. Then I checked the height from the tire to the fender. I know it's not very scientific....but there was a post on here and the guy said it was about 8" in the front and 7.75" in the rear. Mine is about 6-something" in the front and about 7" in the rear.

I'm wondering if my springs wore out, if that's even possible. With the increase in caster and it sitting about an inch lower, I'm wondering if the springs are just goofy. Is there anything that I can do to try to narrow this down?
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Springs didn’t wear out. Yes, some spacers to lift or stiffer springs.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Not sure about coils, but leaf springs do, after many years. 3A’s springs have been to the blacksmith twice to be re-done (arched?) in 73 years, could use a third. Installed new ones with a lift when my 5’s started to sag.(flatten?)

Last edited:

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Springs over time and many miles will eventually sag and wear out. I've had aftermarket springs wear out over about 80k miles. Typically I've seen OEM springs on vehicles break from fatigue before seeing them sag as much as the aftermarket stuff.

On a 2021 jeep though? I wouldn't expect that. Probably all the weight you added.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I have a 2021 JLUR that's pretty much stock. I do have a Warn EVO 10s winch, steel bumpers, and the air lift air bags in the rears. The air bags have probably about 5psi of air in them, just to keep them from getting pinched.

I feel like something funny is going on with the Jeep. When I checked the caster by way of the pumpkin, I was seeing 2 degrees tonight and about 6.something on the bottom of the knuckle. I thought that was a bit much for a stock Rubicon. Then I checked the height from the tire to the fender. I know it's not very scientific....but there was a post on here and the guy said it was about 8" in the front and 7.75" in the rear. Mine is about 6-something" in the front and about 7" in the rear.

I'm wondering if my springs wore out, if that's even possible. With the increase in caster and it sitting about an inch lower, I'm wondering if the springs are just goofy. Is there anything that I can do to try to narrow this down?
IIIRC, The flats on the tubes to the sides of the pumpkin are set at 6*. If that's where you measured, you're probably around 4* caster.

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I feel like something funny is going on with the Jeep. When I checked the caster by way of the pumpkin, I was seeing 2 degrees tonight and about 6.something on the bottom of the knuckle. I thought that was a bit much for a stock Rubicon.
It's an old wives tail that you can measure caster on the diff. I measured mine and it showed 2.3 degrees. Took it to an alignment shop and it was actually 4.5 degrees. It drives perfectly.

If you want to know what your caster is go to a shop with an alignment rack.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
No, the stock springs do not wear out. But they will settle in and weaken somewhat in time. They are designed to handle the Wrangler factory delivered weight, plus load factor, explained in ones owners manual. Once that one starts adding additional weight to ones Wrangler, like heavy bumpers, skids and a winch, then the factory springs will weaken at a more rapped pace.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No, the stock springs do not wear out. But they will settle in and weaken somewhat in time. They are designed to handle the Wrangler factory delivered weight, plus load factor, explained in ones owners manual. Once that one starts adding additional weight to ones Wrangler, like heavy bumpers, skids and a winch, then the factory springs will weaken at a more rapped pace.
So by settle and weaken, do you mean wear out?

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
IIIRC, The flats on the tubes to the sides of the pumpkin are set at 6*. If that's where you measured, you're probably around 4* caster.
Ugh, I got it backwards then.... I measured at the pumpkin and it was 2* I measured at the bottom of the ball joint area and I got about 6* to 7*, but it really depends on where I put it and how straight it was.

My guess is that you're probably right. And I do agree, I should take it in to get a definitive answer. I just wonder what they would charge if I say throw it on the rack and don't adjust anything; I just want the numbers.

As for the spacers, yes, it makes sense. But I'm wondering if I'm going through all that, I should just lift it. Then if I lift it, how would 33" tires look...because the tires only have 10k miles on them. So that's more money. Then if I upgrade to 35's, do I have to regear? Yet more money... So that's where I'm at... Maybe get the alignment numbers first...then see where to go after that.

Thank You!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Suspension components typically have a 50k - 100k mile lifespan. Aftermarket components may have a shorter life, as some of them are designed to be rebuilt more often to deliver a certain level of performance.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ugh, I got it backwards then.... I measured at the pumpkin and it was 2* I measured at the bottom of the ball joint area and I got about 6* to 7*, but it really depends on where I put it and how straight it was.

My guess is that you're probably right. And I do agree, I should take it in to get a definitive answer. I just wonder what they would charge if I say throw it on the rack and don't adjust anything; I just want the numbers.

As for the spacers, yes, it makes sense. But I'm wondering if I'm going through all that, I should just lift it. Then if I lift it, how would 33" tires look...because the tires only have 10k miles on them. So that's more money. Then if I upgrade to 35's, do I have to regear? Yet more money... So that's where I'm at... Maybe get the alignment numbers first...then see where to go after that.

Thank You!
I wouldn't bother taking it to an alignment shop to measure caster.

Did what I said make sense, the spots you stick the angle meter on are on the front of the axle by the cover, they are flat vertically, but have a hole in them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do Stock Springs Wear Out? 1675449905350

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Springs either sag or break. The sag is because the spring rate goes down, thus the vehicle gets lower. Some vehicles are prone to springs breaking or sagging. That's because the manufacturer used a super cheap supplier. For example, older Toyota minivans will break the rear springs. Old Chevy Chevettes would sag at the front. Some Taco Ma's break the real leafs.

Funny thing is this. I worked on a 1983 Jeep and the owner was restoring it back to stock. He insisted that it had a lift kit on it (an intranets Jeep guru told him that). So It had caster shims on the front. Those had to go because they were lift shims (as what the intranets guru said). It got 4 new leaf springs and even OEM shocks. In the end, sat exactly at the same height (I used my Jeep as the benchmark).
Sponsored