Sponsored

Do only suckers buy off of the lot?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
As long as you are not sacrificing what you really want for immediate gratification (or being impatient), there is nothing wrong with buying off the lot.

The only other reason I do not like to buy off the lot is if the vehicle has been test driven a lot. I shop off the truck if I am not going to order.

Last 5 cars I have purchased, I was the first and last to test drive.
Sponsored

Mickeyshell

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S, 2006 Ford Mustang, 2014 Chevrolet Equinox
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy a 2 door JL. There are two pretty close to me that seem to have what i'm looking for which is hellayella, automatic v6. . One is a Sport advertised at $33,680 and one is a Sport S. for $36,530 MSRP. The major difference seems to be power door locks and windows on the more expensive version.

These seem like decent deals but since I've started reading here it seems that everyone orders their Jeep. Am I a sucker for thinking about buying off of the lot? It's already an astronomical pain in the backside buying a new car but I can't imagine trying to deal with these people trying to get a special order especially since i'm trying to keep the price as low as I can and not adding all of the money making options.
Why anyone would be a sucker for buying off the lot? There’s no price haggling for ordering a vehicle. I just bought my new off the lot 2018 JL Sport S with everything but the tow package. It was listed at $42k+ And I got it for $36.9. Everything I wanted including interior/exterior colors and more and only 10 miles. I’m not complaining that’s for sure!

trbizwiz

First Name
TOm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Before you buy or order, make sure to get a Jeep credit card. Use that card to make your down payment. You'll get 6 months 0% interest to pay the down payment back, and you'll get 5% in Jeep points, plus a $100 statement credit for using it at a Jeep dealer in the first 30 days. If you spend those points at a Jeep dealer, they automatically double. I put $10K down on my Jeep card (you'll need to negotiate doing so, before agreeing to buy), I got nearly $1000 back in Jeep rewards. I used $749 of those to get the Katzkin leather kit, which I installed my self. I have about $200 in rewards to spend. I'll probably wait until It is built up some more, and get something fun (bestop soft full/half doors??). If your trade in is your down payment, and you have some equity, you may be able to negotiate cash back for the trade in and use your Jeep card in that way.
Side note, I paid my Jeep card off the day after I used it for the down payment. I do not advocate using credit cards irresponsibly, but if you can use their system, to get more for your self, do it.

Now I have had my Jeep card for a year, so I had $1200 in earnings to use toward my Jeep purchase, in addition to the $1000 in rewards I earned during my purchase, that I got to spend a few weeks later. If your tabulating, I got to use $1949 in total on this Jeep purchase, simply for thinking outside the box, I have paid $0 in interest to First card, since I have received it.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I've always bought private party used, but this is the first time I bought off the lot from a stealership. Mostly because my Rubicon was a really stinking good deal.

Anyways, our Rubicon was sold, 203 miles put on it and then it was returned, thus being used, even though it was still basically new. Depreciation hit was taken by the first owner. Even with all the deals and what not, we couldn't find a Rubicon with the options this one had for the same price point. Nearly 11k off its original sticker price. That was more than even 10% off MSRP. And 203 miles is no bigs for me.

I really wanted white, but I've owned silver before. I wasn't opposed to it, and the savings would go to mods.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
bought mine off the lot. it had all of the must-have options. life is short - I was much happier getting to enjoy it for an extra 2 months vs. a couple fluff options I might have added. you can usually get a better deal off of dealer inventory, too

Sponsored

Szy_szka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Why anyone would be a sucker for buying off the lot? There’s no price haggling for ordering a vehicle. I just bought my new off the lot 2018 JL Sport S with everything but the tow package. It was listed at $42k+ And I got it for $36.9. Everything I wanted including interior/exterior colors and more and only 10 miles. I’m not complaining that’s for sure!
Any chance you could have pushed for a bigger discount? Increasingly, folks on here suggest that scoring 20% off of the leftover 2018 should be doable. Based on your experience, would you agree?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy a 2 door JL. There are two pretty close to me that seem to have what i'm looking for which is hellayella, automatic v6. . One is a Sport advertised at $33,680 and one is a Sport S. for $36,530 MSRP. The major difference seems to be power door locks and windows on the more expensive version.

These seem like decent deals but since I've started reading here it seems that everyone orders their Jeep. Am I a sucker for thinking about buying off of the lot? It's already an astronomical pain in the backside buying a new car but I can't imagine trying to deal with these people trying to get a special order especially since i'm trying to keep the price as low as I can and not adding all of the money making options.
buying off lot means you can test drive it. Gotta buy new jeep like you are buying used. Check that steering, etc

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

If you don't want all the extras just order. I did and got it the way I wanted it. Face it they are a lot of money already.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I ordered because I couldn't find what I wanted on the lot. I didn't want to be forced to pay for options that I didn't want and settle without options I actually wanted. I took my time making sure I ordered EXACTLY what I wanted. I played around on Jeep's website with different options, read about other peoples post on here for things they did or did not like in certain options, and checked out certain options in person. In the end, I was extremely happy with my order. I also travel A LOT for work which makes it difficult to browse local lots. I placed my order on a Friday and my Jeep was built withing 10 days and delivered within 20 days of ordering. (I didn't pick my Jeep up till mid April because I was out of town) My salesman said they usually tell customers orders CAN take up to 12 weeks but Jeep was pumping out wranglers extremely fast so it might be a month, and they were right.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong buying a Jeep off the lot. If you find what you want at the price you want, go for it.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR

I special ordered in order to get exactly what I wanted, and not get stuck paying for options I didn't want or need. And the strategy turned out to work very well indeed, because by the time my stripped down HellaYella 6-spd manual JLUR arrived (only options were tow/switch package and premium top) not only was it less than 4 weeks to arrive, my dealer was so afraid of being stuck with the thing (color, manual, low features) that I negotiated an addition $3950 off the price. I was out the door for $41K and change - for the win! (And to those who point out that resale is higher with options, I paid cash and plan to drive it for 10+ years, so resale issues will long since be mooted by that point.) And given that I was coming from a stripped down JKU sport, the level of luxury on my JLUR is amazing. All good.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR

I special ordered in order to get exactly what I wanted, and not get stuck paying for options I didn't want or need. And the strategy turned out to work very well indeed, because by the time my stripped down HellaYella 6-spd manual JLUR arrived (only options were tow/switch package and premium top) not only was it less than 4 weeks to arrive, my dealer was so afraid of being stuck with the thing (color, manual, low features) that I negotiated an addition $3950 off the price. I was out the door for $41K and change - for the win! (And to those who point out that resale is higher with options, I paid cash and plan to drive it for 10+ years, so resale issues will long since be mooted by that point.) And given that I was coming from a stripped down JKU sport, the level of luxury on my JLUR is amazing. All good.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'd buy off the lot, but the only jeeps within 100 miles of me that have what I want are either fully loaded, or not the color I want. The nearest dealers never have the forward collision system, which I find particularly vexing because this is the perfect place to want such a thing!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

Yes only suckers, MSRP $58,075 CAD I paid $47,000 I'm such a sucker, I basically wanted a base Sahara and ended up with almost a fully loaded options for free.

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You’re under the impression that those ordering are not negotiating deals? Many have ordered and gotten a larger discount than you did on your 2018. Your statement is false.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
here's the deal with buying off the lot, at least round me. they all have stuff on them i dont want and i dont want to pay for. currently im waiting to see what 2020 brings. earlier i did look around available inventory in the atlanta area and there are some dealers with lots of jeeps. but i knew from the get-go that what i wanted would not be available anywhere... 2 door rubicon, 3 piece hard top, 6 speed. nothing else. thats because the higher the model , the more stuff they add to it in one form of another. around here there are stripped sports but once you start looking and higher end models, they are loaded with options, options i dont need, dont want and dont want to pay for. so if and when i get one, its gonna be a special order.

after i sat down with a sales guy after test driving a 2 door ruby 6 speed (loaded to the gills) i told then guy he wouldnt find what i was interested in anywhere, he searched and i was right.

nothing wrong with buying off the lot. it all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay. but dealers and manufacturers make a lot of their money on options and add-ons. they know that once they get a buyer interested, its not that difficult to do a bit of up-selling.
Sponsored