David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
This whole argument is silly.
What if it was a completely different mod? Let's say a lift kit.
You removed the springs, bump stops, and shocks when getting rid of your Jeep, but you forgot the sway bar end links.
So the lift kit company should supply new end links free of charge? Absurd.
What if it was a completely different mod? Let's say an electronic sway bar disconnect.
You removed it from one jeep, go to install it in a new jeep, and when you try to use it, it comes back with "ERROR: Incorrect VIN." and refuses to work. Absurd.
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
What if it was a completely different mod? Let's say an electronic sway bar disconnect.
You removed it from one jeep, go to install it in a new jeep, and when you try to use it, it comes back with "ERROR: Incorrect VIN." and refuses to work. Absurd.
Doesnt your radio do exactly that?

I dont think you can use something like a sway bar as a comparison here. The Tazer is an electronic programmer that modifies software. As soon as there is a crack that allows multiple uses, the sooner people start flashing every jeep in town with one tazer.

Tazer deserves to try to earn some money from their hard work in creating the damn thing, don't they?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Look, again I will say that Tazer makes a great product. And those of us that use a Tazer choose to use one despite their policy.

I agree a sway bar disconnect is not a direct comparison, but it's a helluva lot closer to one than a lift kit is (and leaving pieces of the kit attached to the original vehicle). Yes, your radio does that, but radios provide the unlock code *for free*; it's an anti-theft measure rather than an end-user license agreement that is questionably legal. There are several lawsuits currently ongoing over just this -- artificially restricting the use of hardware after it's been purchased.

Yes, people deserve to make money based on their hard work assuming there's a market for it. And I think Tazer and ZAuto fits this bill. There's certainly a market for it. And guess what, if you want most of their features that go beyond changing your tire size or setting LED vs halogen lights, they have a great way of doing that. There are static changes and live changes. Live changes require the programmer to remain plugged in; static ones do not. They do not need to pair their hardware to a VIN and force people to unprogram their Jeep if they move it to new vehicle in order to make money.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Like most things these days in the media blown way out to the extreme. The OP or anyone else for that matter doesnā€™t agree (and didnā€™t say) they shouldnā€™t make it vin specific so of course one person canā€™t buy one and then start mailing it to all his buddies.

This was a one off ask. I guarantee Tazer doesnā€™t get all that many requests from one person making a mistake like this with all the proof in the world he isnā€™t BSing. Now all the bashers run the OP off and blow this thing up like the audacity he was asking Tazer to make a product with no vin protection and to ruin their company and IP because they help out one dude in a time of need.

Plain and simple it was bad customer service. If you are a business owner you would know that everything isnā€™t black and white and occasionally you have to make exceptions to your ā€œpolicyā€.
Bullshit also. Unless a life or death circumstance, rules from a business perspective are meant to be applied the same every time regardless. Word gets out to your customer base of "one off" exceptions and then you are inundated for the same exception.

To a lot of people, they have a sliding scale of ethics depending on how much getting out of a situation will cost them.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Great example of not "doing the right thing" for a customer from the ZAutomotive people.

I was phoned by a dealer that a custom EcoDiesel JL came in and he was calling down the list of people that said they wanted one. Basically, it was "Do you want it or do I call the next person?" Hell yes I wanted it. Wasn't really ready, because I was pretty happy with my '18 JL, but I always wanted an EcoDiesel. So, down to the dealer I go...test drove it, loved it, agreed to start the sales process. Oh, what miserable fun that is...haggle on trade-in, haggle on price, haggle on financing. It's exhausting. But we came to an agreement and ink was signed. Then they started pulling off my mods from my '18 to put on my new '20. Awesome.

They hand me my little Tazer JL and a few other small pieces pulled form the interior and I drive my shiny new Jeep home.

Aw, crud, forgot to "unpair" the Tazer. No worries, sent a note to Zautomotive support outlining the situation.

"No problem," they say, "just send $50 and we will send you an unmarry key."

I blink twice while reading the email from "Samantha," puzzled that the company I handed $350 to would see this as an opportunity to extort more money. I explain the situation again, indicating that this isn't a transfer to a different owner, and offer to show the paperwork that I, the Tazer owner, traded in my 18 JL for a '20.

"It's your fault you forgot to unpair, so now pay us $50,"

Let me tell you, I'm 100% certain that $50 is going to somebody else. I'm done with them. I don't care how "good" this product has been for the last two years. They're not getting another damn dime from me. I'll even hand money to a flippin Jeep dealer to reprogram for my 35s.

/RantOver
Hey brother what kind of dealership takes off your mods and installs them on the new Jeep? I need something like that here, I think that would be great. Was it an actual FCA dealership??

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I did the same thing but fortunately the dealer let me go down on a Sunday Morning and Un-Marry the unit. I was under the dash for a while then disappeared with my Tazer. Sorry Dude that sucks.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
sotry to hijack but doesnā€™t the diesel require a different pcm?
i donā€™t know about the pcm. Weā€™re starting to get some diesels in and Iā€™ll try and see if I have access to some features.

brett

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Great example of not "doing the right thing" for a customer from the ZAutomotive people.

I was phoned by a dealer that a custom EcoDiesel JL came in and he was calling down the list of people that said they wanted one. Basically, it was "Do you want it or do I call the next person?" Hell yes I wanted it. Wasn't really ready, because I was pretty happy with my '18 JL, but I always wanted an EcoDiesel. So, down to the dealer I go...test drove it, loved it, agreed to start the sales process. Oh, what miserable fun that is...haggle on trade-in, haggle on price, haggle on financing. It's exhausting. But we came to an agreement and ink was signed. Then they started pulling off my mods from my '18 to put on my new '20. Awesome.

They hand me my little Tazer JL and a few other small pieces pulled form the interior and I drive my shiny new Jeep home.

Aw, crud, forgot to "unpair" the Tazer. No worries, sent a note to Zautomotive support outlining the situation.

"No problem," they say, "just send $50 and we will send you an unmarry key."

I blink twice while reading the email from "Samantha," puzzled that the company I handed $350 to would see this as an opportunity to extort more money. I explain the situation again, indicating that this isn't a transfer to a different owner, and offer to show the paperwork that I, the Tazer owner, traded in my 18 JL for a '20.

"It's your fault you forgot to unpair, so now pay us $50,"

Let me tell you, I'm 100% certain that $50 is going to somebody else. I'm done with them. I don't care how "good" this product has been for the last two years. They're not getting another damn dime from me. I'll even hand money to a flippin Jeep dealer to reprogram for my 35s.

/RantOver
Or you can track down the new owner and give them a free tazer
EasygoingShadowyHairstreakbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Look, again I will say that Tazer makes a great product. And those of us that use a Tazer choose to use one despite their policy.

I agree a sway bar disconnect is not a direct comparison, but it's a helluva lot closer to one than a lift kit is (and leaving pieces of the kit attached to the original vehicle). Yes, your radio does that, but radios provide the unlock code *for free*; it's an anti-theft measure rather than an end-user license agreement that is questionably legal. There are several lawsuits currently ongoing over just this -- artificially restricting the use of hardware after it's been purchased.

Yes, people deserve to make money based on their hard work assuming there's a market for it. And I think Tazer and ZAuto fits this bill. There's certainly a market for it. And guess what, if you want most of their features that go beyond changing your tire size or setting LED vs halogen lights, they have a great way of doing that. There are static changes and live changes. Live changes require the programmer to remain plugged in; static ones do not. They do not need to pair their hardware to a VIN and force people to unprogram their Jeep if they move it to new vehicle in order to make money.
If it weren't paired to a VIN what would keep someone from setting up all their buddies, or an entire club? Like others have said this is how tuners have always worked and this is by far the lowest fee I have ever heard of. My Harley tuner can't be used on another bike period without purchasing another license.
Sponsored

Last edited: