Sponsored

Do JL Rubicons with the factory aux switched fitted also come with the dual battery set up?

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Can someone confirm if all JL Rubicons with the factory aux switched fitted also come with the dual battery set up? Without having to remove the main battery, what is the easy way to know if your JL has the second battery set up? Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
All JLs have the 2 batteries, but i have a feeling you have the wrong picture about this.

You have the big cranking battery up top and the little battery under it is used primarily for keeping accessories and all alive when the jeep turns its engine off with the start/stop stuff.

For example.. in my jeep i have installed a proper dual battery setup (Tri battery i guess you can call it now) with the 3rd battery being a 100ah Lithium battery installed in the back to run my "camping accessories"

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Welcome James!! I'm also in the RC world and have used a lot of your 3d printed items in the past!!

It also depends on the engine you have. My wife has a 2018 JL with the 2.0 etorque that uses a standard battery under the hood with a 48v battery under the floor near the rear seat area.

OP
OP
Knightcustoms

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
All JLs have the 2 batteries, but i have a feeling you have the wrong picture about this.

You have the big cranking battery up top and the little battery under it is used primarily for keeping accessories and all alive when the jeep turns its engine off with the start/stop stuff.

For example.. in my jeep i have installed a proper dual battery setup (Tri battery i guess you can call it now) with the 3rd battery being a 100ah Lithium battery installed in the back to run my "camping accessories"
Thanks, yes that was why I was asking. I am looking to run awning leds and spots off the Aux switches, and wanted to know if I need to install another battery to do this if it’s already got 2.

OP
OP
Knightcustoms

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Welcome James!! I'm also in the RC world and have used a lot of your 3d printed items in the past!!

It also depends on the engine you have. My wife has a 2018 JL with the 2.0 etorque that uses a standard battery under the hood with a 48v battery under the floor near the rear seat area.
Hi and thanks, are you in Aus?

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Thanks, yes that was why I was asking. I am looking to run awning leds and spots off the Aux switches, and wanted to know if I need to install another battery to do this if it’s already got 2.
I mean you could.. but it wouldnt last long and i wouldnt recommend it. I have a dashcam to one of my aux switches that ive set to always on, got into my jeep the other day and car was complaining battery was low and hence turned off the dash cam (I havent been driving much in the past 2 weeks)

i'll attach a photo of my dual battery setup.

He is in Tennessee, USA from the looks of it. We unfortunately dont get the hybrid wranglers and dont think we'll be getting them for many years to come as i believe all new wrangler orders have halted to Aus for the next year or so.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Jaydee_s is correct, I am in the US. Depending on the number and the duration of use, you could possibly get away with running the lights off the OEM battery. The safer bet would be to add the additional battery and relay to isolate the two systems when the ignition is off so that you can always start the Jeep at the end of the trip and make it home.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I mean you could.. but it wouldnt last long and i wouldnt recommend it. I have a dashcam to one of my aux switches that ive set to always on, got into my jeep the other day and car was complaining battery was low and hence turned off the dash cam (I havent been driving much in the past 2 weeks)

I run fridge, lights, etc of the aux battery over night without problems. I'm driving most of the day everyday when doing this.

OP
OP
Knightcustoms

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Thanks for the feedback guys. All figured out now.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I feel you are best getting a battery from Battery World and using that for camping etc. You can partially recharge that battery with solar panels.
Sponsored