Sponsored

Do I wait or get it looked at now?

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2018 Chevy Suburban
So I see this the other day on my front passenger door. Could be a blemish in the paint or the start of something bigger. Do I take it to the dealer now or do I wait for the other doors to start? If I do wait will it get too bad to repair? If I take it in is the dealer going to any preventative action on the other doors?

046D3BA5-2662-45DB-BD74-995CBB44E53E.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No. Dealer's don't do "preventative" work. Jeep dealers least of all.

Personally, I'd wait for it to get worse. Keep an eye on it, though.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You have a 2018 which I assume that you purchased new, when does your warranty expire?

OP
OP
It’ll do
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2018 Chevy Suburban
It is a 2018 I bought it this summer used only 10k miles on it. The warranty is good for one more year.

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would go over this thread before making a decision.

as @aldo98229 said, id wait till maybe not so much “gets worse” there but see if it gets worse as in proceeds to happen on other doors/hinges or you may end up with repeat visits.
But obviously no harm In documenting with the dealer and seeing what they say.

but that doesn’t always end well with their shop “fixing” it either

all of which you can read on this thread.
Just my $0.02
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...int-at-door-hinges.32756/page-34#post-1269623

Last edited:

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Take it in if it’s still under warranty. Their body shop will take care of it.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I would never wait for body rust to get worse. The sheet metal is so thin that waiting will almost guarantee that the metal has holes in it. I have a 23 year old Dodge Ram truck that I keep a good eye on because of its age. I had bubbling starting above the factory wheel well trim. I immediately took the trim off, sanded it down to bare metal, shot it with primer, then went over it with a textured bedliner sort of paint. That was 5 years ago and I have nothing to this date. Early treatment is key.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I'll have to say I wish I had seen this issue before I ordered. If there's one thing that will make me avoid a vehicle, it's factory rust on the body or frame. That is a no-go for me. It will ruin a vehicle. I don't pay $50,000+ for a factory rust bucket, and this issue seems widespread.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It is a 2018 I bought it this summer used only 10k miles on it. The warranty is good for one more year.
I would take it in and have them inspect ALL doors/hinges if they find corrosion on the one door, make sure that they have noted your concern.... if corrosion shows up on the other doors “shortly after” your warranty has expired, you may have a case for getting that work done under warranty.

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was checking out the other thread about this, and this is completely unacceptable. Check this picture out. They didn't even paint the whole door and hinge! NO WONDER it is corroding!
Interesting enough is, I almost wish that was the JL’s issue. (Not that any of this is acceptable)

that pics from the JK’s....there issue only affected the hinges itself. Most just replaced the hinges and moved on. Now it affects the door (which is worse) smh

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Interesting enough is, I almost wish that was the JL’s issue. (Not that any of this is acceptable)

that pics from the JK’s....there issue only affected the hinges itself. Most just replaced the hinges and moved on. Now it affects the door (which is worse) smh

You're right, affecting the door is much worse. When my 2021 comes in, I will be hawkeyeing all hinges. If I see one tiny bubble I will refuse to buy it and request my deposit back and not order another one. This is a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to sound like I am overreacting, but I have never in my life had a good experience with body work and paint, and rust is not something that I have time for. Ever.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You're right, affecting the door is much worse. When my 2021 comes in, I will be hawkeyeing all hinges. If I see one tiny bubble I will refuse to buy it and request my deposit back and not order another one. This is a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to sound like I am overreacting, but I have never in my life had a good experience with body work and paint, and rust is not something that I have time for. Ever.
I agree with you. This should not happen, ever. It’s not like this is two exotic metals just recently created in a lab and Issues with the bonding of the two of them Is unknown. Shame on Jeep for this being an issue at all.

That said, I have carefully looked at my 2020 a couple of times (Oct 2019 build) and have found no issues. I will continue to check

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You will not see it at delivery. It shows up over time as the aluminum corrodes under the paint.
Sponsored