Sponsored

Do I TRULY need a tire carrier for my 35" wheels?

SRQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a steel bumper on backorder, but I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to have a tire carrier for my 35" wheels, and that I'm not getting upsold an unnecessary part. I'm running a Dick Cepek 35x12.50R17LT (Trail Country EXP) tires on Pro Comp Wheels 69 Series Vintage 17x9 rims.
Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
No

OP
OP

SRQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That's what I like to hear. Anyone else wanna confirm this?

Looking forward to not having to unlatch a bunch of stuff to get into my trunk lol

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
You could get the hinge reinforcement kit, but I don't know if it's really necessary. Of course Jeep will tell you it is to eliminate their legal responsibility.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You could get the hinge reinforcement kit, but I don't know if it's really necessary. Of course Jeep will tell you it is to eliminate their legal responsibility.
I've been running a heavy combo all winter on the stock carrier. No issues. But wheeling season is starting and that can cause some issues. Personally. If you're just street driving, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase

Looking forward to not having to unlatch a bunch of stuff to get into my trunk lol
I ran a 35 on my old JLUR with no problems for 2+years. But, i would be conscious of not slamming the tail gate as well as being aggressive on the whoops or wash boards.

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
A quick google says those wheels are only 16lbs!

If my math is correct you are at 80 lbs which is actually within what Jeep says the stock tailgate can handle.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Comes down to weight and capabilities of the hinge on the stock Jeep as someone else already pointed out. I put the Rugged Ridge hinge and Terraflex Alpha tire carrier - mostly for aesthetics but just for piece of mind if I go with 37's eventually. There isn't much aftermarket product on my Jeep that I would ever say was "needed" beyond stock lol...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2018 Sport Unlimited with 35s. I didn’t put a reinforcement hinge or carrier on it. The only real issue is the tire may rub on your rear bumper a bit. That depends on the tire. However I did find that the rear door was a bit more difficult to close.

My current jeep has 37s. I put a Sparticus hinge reinforcement, from Rugged Ridge, on it. I’ve had that for a year with a lot of rock crawling. Zero issues.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a steel bumper on backorder, but I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to have a tire carrier for my 35" wheels, and that I'm not getting upsold an unnecessary part. I'm running a Dick Cepek 35x12.50R17LT (Trail Country EXP) tires on Pro Comp Wheels 69 Series Vintage 17x9 rims.
A full hinged reinforcement and carrier? No, not unless you plan on going with 37's or larger. Weight isn't the concern with your intended combo, but my concern is that the new wheel offset will push the spare further from the tailgate. Cantilevering a given weight will amplify its affects on its surroundings. Think of holding a gallon of milk in one hand up against your chest vs at full arm extension. The weight doesn't change, but the stress increases and you tire out sooner.

I highly recommend an adjustable carrier, like the Teraflex Alpha HD, which can be fine tuned to any wheel offset at 3 different heights. That ensures contact can be maintained between the inner sidewall and the rubber tailgate bumpers, which prevent unwanted and potentially damaging movement. It simply just replaces the factory plastic carrier, so it's not at all an invasive swap. They only go for a bit over $300, and is money well spent.

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
I did the Rough Country reinforcement. Not that expensive and did seem to add a lot of stiffness

20220403_175055.jpg

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've had a 35 on Mopar Beadlocks on the back of mine for over a year now with no issues. I did get the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and oversize spare kit out of an abundance of caution. I'd agree with what's already been said here about not slamming the tailgate, but otherwise its fine.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

I have my 35” tire on my stock carrier without any problems.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
For the street no...but for wheeling...over boulders and dropping of ledges...I would. Even hitting huge pot holes at 30-40mph will make that spare vibrate. Just my opinion.
Sponsored