Sponsored

Do I need Trailer Tow/Heavy Duty Electrical Group?

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
That hurts. And that's without the tow package's 240-amp alternator, 700-amp battery, or aux switches and their wiring in the cab and under the hood. Damn.
Unless you need the winch a lot, like, all day a lot, the 240 amp alternator is not needed, and I found you could get an 840Ah AGM battery onto the battery tray as an option from autozone or Oriellys. Battery tray has a little clip you pull out for longer battery. The aux switches? With the stock LED lights, I see no need for more light out there, if needed I have portable leds.
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Just the receiver and a 4 pin plug (about all most would need) is about $150 and about an hour to install. Probably the easiest receiver I've ever installed. Its only 4 bolts, nothing in the way no holes to drill... simple. And the harness its plug and play, remove the tail light plug it in drop the wire down again... simple. No jack or lift needed.

I've done a few, but myself I like the bigger alternator and like having access to 12v power at the bumper so the 7 pin is a little longer to install. Then there is the switch panel. Are you planning on adding any lights? The factory switches are a clean install and adding them later isn't cheap. Then having to take it to a dealer after the install to have it flashed so they work just sounds like a pain in the tail and more money.

So as easy as it is to install the receiver and tail harness, the other perks say just order it with it.

dreep jeemin

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5
Occupation
Professional Irritant
Are we gonna be replacing that 'bigger battery' any less frequently when the aux takes a dump?

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
This is a no brainer - the trailer tow group is the best bang for the buck option.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
This is the one option I wish my Jeep had. But then again, I have no need to tow anything, and don’t plan to add lighting. Besides, if I had those aux switches, I don’t think I could resist buying stuff to wire into them, you know, just because. So no tow package for me, but at least I get a higher degree of self control… 🤷‍♂️ :like:
Sponsored