Sponsored

Do I need Trailer Tow/Heavy Duty Electrical Group?

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I'm preparing to order a JLU Rubicon and my husband and I are debating the tow/electrical group. He has a 2020 extended cab Tundra and that's likely to be what we would choose to tow anything of significance, so it seems like we don't have any use for it and it would be cheaper to add a wiring harness and Class II hitch after the fact for the super-rare instance of towing rather than pay $1000+ for the whole package. And by super-rare I mean that I've had two Toyota 4Runners over a period of 14 years and have never once towed a single thing because we always had the truck.

The Rubi will be my primary vehicle - will probably take it camping regionally/locally, to the beach, etc., (i.e., not Moab...) and possibly along some trails in a group with a local Jeep Jam kind of thing.

I keep seeing that it's pain to add all of that later but I'm just not sure we'll ever need it. I should probably add that I'm 52 years old and while I'm a very active 52 it's unlikely I'm going to change my recreational habits significantly and suddenly become the overlanding type. ;)

Would like to hear a few opinions.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm preparing to order a JLU Rubicon and my husband and I are debating the tow/electrical group. He has a 2020 extended cab Tundra and that's likely to be what we would choose to tow anything of significance, so it seems like we don't have any use for it and it would be cheaper to add a wiring harness and Class II hitch after the fact for the super-rare instance of towing rather than pay $1000+ for the whole package. And by super-rare I mean that I've had two Toyota 4Runners over a period of 14 years and have never once towed a single thing because we always had the truck.

The Rubi will be my primary vehicle - will probably take it camping regionally/locally, to the beach, etc., (i.e., not Moab...) and possibly along some trails in a group with a local Jeep Jam kind of thing.

I keep seeing that it's pain to add all of that later but I'm just not sure we'll ever need it. I should probably add that I'm 52 years old and while I'm a very active 52 it's unlikely I'm going to change my recreational habits significantly and suddenly become the overlanding type. ;)

It's worth every penny to get upfront.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Even if I never towed I'd still get that package. I do, however, have all of my aux buttons connected to something (three sets of lights and a fridge). It makes it incredibly easy to wire things up. A better alternator is also a plus.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL

Bigger battery and alternator and the aux switches are worth the cost and convenience of the entire package.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
First Jeep didnā€™t have it so I installed the aux switches myself. Itā€™s probably the most tedious thing Iā€™ve had to do. The switches alone are worth the price in my opinion. The bigger battery, alternator, fan, hitch receiver, and 7 way plug are just icings on the proverbial cake.

Sponsored

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
First Jeep didnā€™t have it so I installed the aux switches myself. Itā€™s probably the most tedious thing Iā€™ve had to do. The switches alone are worth the price in my opinion. The bigger battery, alternator, fan, hitch receiver, and 7 way plug are just icings on the proverbial cake.
agreed. I do not even tow anything but got the package for this reason.

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
Don't forget potential resale/trade in value as well...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@AndiS

I knew I'd be using my new Jeep to tow occasionally, and I still forwent the pricey tow package. My long-established use case, carried forward from the vehicle the Jeep was replacing, was such that I couldn't justify the investment.

Installing the Curt receiver hitch was dead simple. Adding the Quadratec 4-flat tow harness was a bit time-consuming, but not complicated and it's a once-and-done job anyway. DIYing the work allowed me to gain a fair share of the same functionality as the costly factory package for pennies on the dollar.

Wrangler price trends aren't so sensitive that the absence of this particular option will cause one's valuation to crater. This is doubly true given the sheer aftermarket support for accessory switch panels, under-hood control boxes and tow harnesses themselves.

You already have towing capacity via the Tundra, and the anticipated use case for your Jeep (vis-a-vis your history with your 4Runners) seems to provide the answer you're seeking here. ;)

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
@AndiS

I knew I'd be using my new Jeep to tow occasionally, and I still forwent the pricey tow package. My long-established use case, carried forward from the vehicle the Jeep was replacing, was such that I couldn't justify the investment.

Installing the Curt receiver hitch was dead simple. Adding the Quadratec 4-flat tow harness was a bit time-consuming, but not complicated and it's a once-and-done job anyway. DIYing the work allowed me to gain a fair share of the same functionality as the costly factory package for pennies on the dollar.

Wrangler price trends aren't so sensitive that the absence of this particular option will cause one's valuation to crater. This is doubly true given the sheer aftermarket support for accessory switch panels, under-hood control boxes and tow harnesses themselves.

You already have towing capacity via the Tundra, and the anticipated use case for your Jeep (vis-a-vis your history with your 4Runners) seems to provide the answer you're seeking here. ;)
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful reply.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
If money wonā€™t be an issue adding the package then go for it. Itā€™s in the same category of ā€œthereā€™s no replacement for displacementā€ and or ā€œbetter to have and not need than to need and not haveā€. You never know what situation may arise in the future. And also itā€™s a very good package option, stronger battery and charge system and obviously the greater tow ability.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I'll probably never tow more than 1000 lbs with mine, but i got the tow package. Like others have said the aux switches and heavy duty alternator and battery are worth it, especially if you are going to add more electrical items or run a winch.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

My vote is to get it for all the same reasons others have voiced.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Order it up front, it's a crime it is not standard on a rubi.

I installed the factory hitch and harness myself, 2 days i will never get back, cost just over $1,000

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Order it up front, it's a crime it is not standard on a rubi.

I installed the factory hitch and harness myself, 2 days i will never get back, cost just over $1,000
That hurts. And that's without the tow package's 240-amp alternator, 700-amp battery, or aux switches and their wiring in the cab and under the hood. Damn.
Sponsored