Do I need to regear?

Renrens91

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
What the title said... Is it necessary to regear?

Fairly new to Jeep, I've had my Rubicon 3.6L V6 8-speed automatic for about 3 years now but I've kept it pretty much stock. I finally changed my stock Rubicon wheel/tire combo which weighted around 73lb to BFG LT315/70R17C tires that weights 64lb and G-FX TR12 wheels that weights 33lb each. I'm at least +24lb on each wheel.

Any critic is welcome, thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I’m admittedly not the best person to answer. But I’ve got some questions that might help.

Engine/transmission? If you’re in a 6 speed, I’d argue probably, but you’d know if 6th was utterly useless or not. With the automatic you’re fine.

How does it drive in your opinion? Sluggish? Still feels good? If it feels good to you, there’s no point. If it’s sluggish, realize that regearing will cost you at least $2000 unless you do the labor yourself.

OP
OP

Renrens91

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I’m admittedly not the best person to answer. But I’ve got some questions that might help.

Engine/transmission? If you’re in a 6 speed, I’d argue probably, but you’d know if 6th was utterly useless or not. With the automatic you’re fine.

How does it drive in your opinion? Sluggish? Still feels good? If it feels good to you, there’s no point. If it’s sluggish, realize that regearing will cost you at least $2000 unless you do the labor yourself.
I've edited it, its a 3.6L V6 8 speed Auto. Hard to tell, I'm mainly on the freeway so my speed is constant at 65-75mph. Should I be concern of premature wear and tear?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Try it as is for your use case and decide. 4.56 on balance likely optimal but expensive for just a one ratio difference. No rush to decide, it’s not necessary, but does it exceed the law of diminishing returns for your use ? ….. frequent, tow-light or heavy, high altitude , mountainous grades, rock crawl ? Do all of the above 5.13’s that would suck if freeway commute use, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running BFG 315/70R17 and AEV Borah wheels with rash rings, so similar weight. I've had this combo for about 6000 miles now and it's fine. you're good to go.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I found the XR package felt like it was geared too low with 4.56s and 35s. I think 4.10s and 35s is a great setup. Even on 37s with the auto I wouldn't go lower than 4.56 personally.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Here I am with my lowly Sahara 6sp and 3.45, I want to go to 4.56 even though I am just going to true 33's (275-70-18) on stock wheels...but the 6sp needs all the help it can get!

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko

Fairly new to Jeep, I've had my Rubicon 3.6L V6 8-speed automatic for about 3 years now but I've kept it pretty much stock. I finally changed my stock Rubicon wheel/tire combo which weighted around 73lb to BFG LT315/70R17C tires that weights 64lb and G-FX TR12 wheels that weights 33lb each. I'm at least +24lb on each wheel.

3.6 with the 4.10 's you'll be fine no need to regear maybe if you ho 38's or bigger

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I have 315s BFG K02 with weight 64lbs and Black Rhino wheels at 27lbs and regeared to 4.56. The ride is absolutely incredible and my Jeep turns the 35s as easily if not easier than it did the stock tires on stock gears. This brings up a satisfaction that is hard to describe. It’s one of those things that you have to live to understand.

Putting your head in the sand or trying to convince yourself that no regear is needed just takes away from that enjoyment I’m talking about.

Good luck with your decision ?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

First off, weight of the tire is less than 10% of the reason to regear. It only matters when choosing to round up to the next higher numeric ratio. Tire diameter is 90% of the reason to regear. Don't worry about the weight. It just doesn't matter much.

Do you need to regear? Strictly speaking, no. You can get by with 4.10s. That is an adequate ratio to get the Jeep around on the streets with that size tire. It's not optimal but it works.

Do you want to regear? That depends. How do you use your Jeep? Daily driver? Off road? What kind of off road and how often? How often do you get up into high mountains?

All of that affects the regear decision.

Personally, I'd run 4.88s with the 3.6 engine. Even for a daily driver. But I probably run at higher elevation and I rock crawl with my Jeeps.

I will say that if you do regear, going to 4.56 isn't enough of a change to be worth the money. Go up to 4.88 if you do regear.

Final note. A lot of people say 4.10s are fine for those tires. But until you drive a Jeep with the right axle ratio to match the engine, transmission, and tire size you don't know what you're missing. Almost no one posts about how they regret regearing. They only regret they have is not doing it sooner.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, weight of the tire is less than 10% of the reason to regear. It only matters when choosing to round up to the next higher numeric ratio. Tire diameter is 90% of the reason to regear. Don't worry about the weight. It just doesn't matter much.

Do you need to regear? Strictly speaking, no. You can get by with 4.10s. That is an adequate ratio to get the Jeep around on the streets with that size tire. It's not optimal but it works.

Do you want to regear? That depends. How do you use your Jeep? Daily driver? Off road? What kind of off road and how often? How often do you get up into high mountains?

All of that affects the regear decision.

Personally, I'd run 4.88s with the 3.6 engine. Even for a daily driver. But I probably run at higher elevation and I rock crawl with my Jeeps.

I will say that if you do regear, going to 4.56 isn't enough of a change to be worth the money. Go up to 4.88 if you do regear.

Final note. A lot of people say 4.10s are fine for those tires. But until you drive a Jeep with the right axle ratio to match the engine, transmission, and tire size you don't know what you're missing. Almost no one posts about how they regret regearing. They only regret they have is not doing it sooner.
I know I would probably love going to 4.56 with my 6sp, just can't justify the $$$ at this point only going to 275-70-18 on stock wheels...If Jeep hadn't put a sh?t clutch in then the $$$ I already dropped on a CF2 would have gone to the regear! To those of you in the know, can I swap in 4.56 in my Sahara straight or do I need new carriers? With the 6sp I have the 30 front, D44 rear...and what is the preferred gear brands these days...

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I know I would probably love going to 4.56 with my 6sp, just can't justify the $$$ at this point only going to 275-70-18 on stock wheels...If Jeep hadn't put a sh?t clutch in then the $$$ I already dropped on a CF2 would have gone to the regear! To those of you in the know, can I swap in 4.56 in my Sahara straight or do I need new carriers? With the 6sp I have the 30 front, D44 rear...and what is the preferred gear brands these days...
You don't need new carriers. But if you are going to do limited slip or lockers, you save money by installing them when you regear.

And my go-to brand is Dana/Spicer.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need new carriers. But if you are going to do limited slip or lockers, you save money by installing them when you regear.

And my go-to brand is Dana/Spicer.
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't go to lockers or anything so just straight regear, most likely won't do it but we can dream! Wanna send the kids to private school, so basically paying for college before college...priorities!!!
Sponsored