Do I need to re gear my sport s?

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Hi I have a 2 door sport S and I’m really looking into putting 35inch tires on my 17inch rims that came stock with the vehicle. I’m not sure whether or not I want to do a M/T or a A/T tire but I’m sure that 35s are they way I want to go. I’m also looking to put the rough country 2.5 inch spacer lift on the Jeep before I even buy the tires. Knowing that the gearing is definelty different on the sports, I was wondering if a mechanical wizard can tell me whether on not I would need to regear for 35s on my sport. FYI I’m running Dana 30s
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Guess it depends on your expectations. I swapped to the stock 33" Rubicon take offs and am quite happy. I've thought about going to 35's as well but not sure I want to take the hit on gas mileage and I think a gear upgrade would be in order. Heck, I think i'd rather just swap axles for Rubicon take offs. Considering a gear swap can run $2k for front and rear, Rubi axles with lockers can be had for maybe another grand more and get the 4.10 which would turn the 35's just fine. Just some random thoughts.

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I would re-gear to 4.56 if were me. I wasn’t happy with 35’s and 4.10’s

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I would re-gear to 4.56 if were me. I wasn’t happy with 35’s and 4.10’s
Can you go into more detail about what about it you weren't happy about? That's too many "about"s lol.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Can you go into more detail about what about it you weren't happy about? That's too many "about"s lol.
Sure. I have the 8speed auto and 4:10’s. With 35’s the transmission did not properly utilize all the gears. On the highway at cruise, it preferred to stay in 7th, sometimes 6th. It is a 8speed, it was design to use all 8 gears. This is unacceptable to me. I hate driving a poorly geared vehicle. Some say it’s fine and doesn’t bother them. It’s their Jeep they can do what they want, but when I add bigger tires to a Jeep, or truck, I just figure a regearing as a necessity.

Sponsored

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
You will certainly notice a drop in take off speed and low end torque. On an automatic transmission, you will lose 8th gear and a bit of 7th. In a manual, you will find it difficult to have any pickup or power in the top gear. For some, this is acceptable and they simply "get used to it". For others, like me, it is unbearable and we must fix it immediately.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
I have a sport running 35s and it drives fine for now. It's a little more sluggish but it isn't killing me to regear right away.
I'm saving my regearing money for when I burn out my 35's and move to 37's where its basically mandatory.
I have a 3.5in Metal cloak lift on mine with Nitto trail grappler tires and I love it.

Jp (3).jpg

OP
OP
Troutster

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
I have a sport running 35s and it drives fine for now. It's a little more sluggish but it isn't killing me to regear right away.
I'm saving my regearing money for when I burn out my 35's and move to 37's where its basically mandatory.
I have a 3.5in Metal cloak lift on mine with Nitto trail grappler tires and I love it.

Jp (3).jpg
What’s that bumper? It’s pretty badass

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I would not regear.

I was just playing around with the Tazer JL 0-60 timer feature tonight. Keep in mind I've got a 4-door, with a lift kit and 35" mud tires.

My first attempt resulted in the tires being lit up in 1st gear. 8.29 seconds.

After that a few more attempts in the 7s.

My best run without spinning the tires was 6.92 seconds.

In my opinion, 6.9 seconds 0-60 in a vehicle shaped like a lego brick with a lift and 35s is PLENTY fast enough. This new updated Pentastar combined with the 8-speed auto and 3.45 axle gears is a BEAST.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I would not regear.

I was just playing around with the Tazer JL 0-60 timer feature tonight. Keep in mind I've got a 4-door, with a lift kit and 35" mud tires.

My first attempt resulted in the tires being lit up in 1st gear. 8.29 seconds.

After that a few more attempts in the 7s.

My best run without spinning the tires was 6.92 seconds.

In my opinion, 6.9 seconds 0-60 in a vehicle shaped like a lego brick with a lift and 35s is PLENTY fast enough. This new updated Pentastar combined with the 8-speed auto and 3.45 axle gears is a BEAST.
:CWL:I'd bet my youngest born child you arent running 0-60 in the 6's with 3.45 gearing pushing 35s unless you dropped a hemi in there.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
:CWL:I'd bet my youngest born child you arent running 0-60 in the 6's with 3.45 gearing pushing 35s unless you dropped a hemi in there.
You may come take a ride with me any time you'd like. I guarantee it's accurate. My Challenger with this engine had a factory 0-60 timer and the best it ever did was 6.3. This Jeep feels as fast as that car.

Next time I'm out, I'll shoot a video of it. Will you believe if you see it? :giggle:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi I have a 2 door sport S and I’m really looking into putting 35inch tires on my 17inch rims that came stock with the vehicle. I’m not sure whether or not I want to do a M/T or a A/T tire but I’m sure that 35s are they way I want to go. I’m also looking to put the rough country 2.5 inch spacer lift on the Jeep before I even buy the tires. Knowing that the gearing is definelty different on the sports, I was wondering if a mechanical wizard can tell me whether on not I would need to regear for 35s on my sport. FYI I’m running Dana 30s
I just regeared my sport to 4.56. The improvement in acceleration and just driving in general feels great to me. I actually have power in 8th gear and my gas mileage improved. Was well worth the money to me. But everyones got thier personal opinions. I thought my 3.45 was okay, it did everything. But it was just okay. Feels much sportier with the 4.56 for sure.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have 315/70/17's on mine on stock Rubi wheels. The auto handles it great. The key is to get the shift points/speedo recalibrated. Mine wouldn't use 8th gear until I paid the dealer $125 to reprogram it to 34.5" tires. 4.56's would be better however not necessary whatsoever and you have to consider I'm down whatever % in power due to altitude.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
The 4.10s or 4.56s will obviously feel stronger with a couple of trade-offs. My only point was that you don't NEED to regear. These things run strong with the stock gearing.

Sponsored