Sponsored

Do I need to plug this with anything?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Falken MT-01 35x12.5x17. Has under 25k miles on it. Bought last May from 4WP with warranty. I have the spare that I bought with the 4 mounted tires, and an unmounted new tire I got cheap. I wanted to run the back tires another 10-25k miles so they are closer to half tread, and put the two unused tires on the rear, and the most worn tires as spares (I also have extra rims). Well, seems like this piece of marble has cut that short, maybe. A few folks on the JT forum said the tire is not repairable. As this forum has a larger membership, I wanted to get your thoughts.

This did not go through all the way, tire is holding pressure. I drove on the tire with the shard in it for about 40mi before I was able to get it out. Looks like the shard was lodged just under the top layer of rubber at least in part. I had to use pliers to pull this thing out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need to plug this with anything? c230be75-a80b-46b0-b4a5-1e7046177f35-jpe

Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need to plug this with anything? 9000d610-7170-4834-bc0b-98f484bd3930-jpe

Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need to plug this with anything? 23d048ae-1293-451c-8691-d52be6f2191d-jpe

Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need to plug this with anything? 1850a181-1702-4caf-8298-f3b9a206a6cf-jpe

Can I patch it? I'm more concerned with water and such getting under the rubber more than another rock or item finish the puncture.

Or, should I just go ahead and designate this as a back-up spare for rougher trails: have 2 original tires up front, 2 unused tires put on the back, and the current 2 back tires (one of which has the puncture) as the spares?

Anyone have experience with the tire extended warranty from 4WP? The only restriction they gave me was if the tread was more than half worn they would pro-rate the replacement tire price. If they can't fix it, and replace the tire, I'll then have 3 "new" tires, and one worn tire. Will that affect anything if I put the "worn" tire up front (as rear tires should be as close to the same size/diameter in a RWD vehicle).

What says the community?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just curious , what load rating are those M/Ts?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
4WP is currently saying this is not repairable, but are refusing to agree that this is a Road Hazzard Warranty covered damage because the puncture did not go all the way through. I disagree, their website states:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/gi/xtreme-warranty
If your tire becomes unusable due to road hazard related mishaps and cannot be repaired, we will pro-rate the adjustment based upon the remaining, unused tread on the tire. We will apply the credit towards the new purchase if below 50%. If 50% and above you will receive full credit towards the replacement tire. Then we will replace the unusable tire with a tire of same brand and tread wear (all terrain/mud terrain) of the current mark up value or sell price. We do not cover remount and balance tire fees.

Limitation of coverage: Coverage with Road Hazard Warranty extends for the full period of the mileage of the tire. This coverage is not transferable to a new owner, or if the owner mounts the tires on another vehicle. Coverage extends to such damage as un-repairable tread punctures damage from potholes, nails, glass and jagged metal which cause cuts, snags, punctures, impact breaks, bruises and rim cuts. Vandalism, theft, uneven wear or fire mishaps are not covered under this warranty.

Clearly this is an un-repairable tread puncture. Now, is it a through-and-through puncture? No, but the website doesn't state that punctures need to be.
Sponsored