Sponsored

Do i need control arms with a 2.5 lift kit ?

Valv910

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I'm looking for a budget kit and I'm contemplating the Icon dynamics stage 1
Will i need adjustable front control arms ?
In the past i always used spacer lifts, which make me wander all over the road until i installed assistance l adjustable FCAs.
Jeep is a '21 Rubicon 4 doors, 2.0, and it's a daily driver
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Buy a Metalcloak or Rock Krawler lift. They will perform better and come with EVERYTHING you need to get your Jeep to handle properly.

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
I just installed Rubicon take off suspensions and 2" coil spacers on my Sport, I put the longer LCA's on and it drives perfectly. I obviously can't say what it would have been like without doing it. They're really affordable so I think worth it https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

Reactions: zyt

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Your call on if you need then. When you raise your jeep the axle will rotate as the axle is lowered. This changes the angle of caster (the angle between the top and bottom joints of the steering knuckle). Jeeps tend to wander the closer this angle gets toward 0. I have a 2.5" Teraflex lift that included the 2 lower arms. These are approximately 1" longer than the stock ones and left me at about a 6 deg caster angle. The more caster, the more stable going straight. The trade off is that you get to the point where it will be more difficult to turn and eat the edge of the tires as you turn.

Andy

see https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/caster-specification-for-the-jl.17016/ for better explanation.

Sponsored

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
I was wondering the same thing about the 1.5 leveling pucks. Are the longer LCAs needed (JLUR)?

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I was wondering the same thing about the 1.5 leveling pucks. Are the longer LCAs needed (JLUR)?
My post is general information. Not trying to give you a hard time but If you notice it wandering then yes. If no then you didn't. Some jeeps are sensitive to it others aren't. A Wrangler will tend to be more sensitive than say an Unlimited due to the wheelbase difference.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not needed on 1.5”, but will definitely improve handling. In my opinion, most rubicon’s don’t have enough caster stock. We were at 2.5” of lift for a year, and just bumped that up to 4”. 6-7° is optimal in my opinion on any ride height. The only way to dial that in is adjustable arms. You can save money by buying the longer mopar fixed length arms, but then you don’t get the other benefits of aftermarket arms. Almost every arm on the market is stronger than the stock arms in both material thickness and arm thickness itself. Most have at least one joint that is built with some sort of additional flex vs the factory rubber bushings. Better flex Improves articulation and ride quality. We drive $40-80k Jeep’s and then argue over dropping $300 on a quality set of lower control arms?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm looking for a budget kit and I'm contemplating the Icon dynamics stage 1
Will i need adjustable front control arms ?
In the past i always used spacer lifts, which make me wander all over the road until i installed assistance l adjustable FCAs.
Jeep is a '21 Rubicon 4 doors, 2.0, and it's a daily driver
I’d suggest the stage 2 lift so that your caster is better. The Icon springs run on the taller side so I wouldn’t run it without LCAs or drop brackets.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I just installed Rubicon take off suspensions and 2" coil spacers on my Sport, I put the longer LCA's on and it drives perfectly. I obviously can't say what it would have been like without doing it. They're really affordable so I think worth it https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html
I'm curious about this as I have a Willy's (rubi shocks + sport springs). I'm looking at going to rubi springs and wonder if I will need the Mopar lca's.

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I put the mopar LCA's on, have had to do longer LCA and drop brackets on my 6" lifted XJ, just drop brackets on my JK after a 2" lift and terrible caster (DW straight away), so with the JLUR I just ordered the LCA so I could put them in the same time as a 2"/1.5" levelling kit. Not 100% sure it was required but with everything taking so long to make it to Australia at the moment I didn't want to have to pull things apart while I waited for them down the track. Anyway, my recommendation is yes, get them.

OP
OP
Valv910

Valv910

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious about this as I have a Willy's (rubi shocks + sport springs). I'm looking at going to rubi springs and wonder if I will need the Mopar lca's.
At $60 for both I'd replace them. Moparamerica.com has them in stock, i just bought them
Sponsored