Sponsored

Do I need an hitch receiver extension bar?

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Hey members. Put in a Curt Class III 13392 hitch receiver today and after putting the ball mount in I’m wondering if I need to get a receiver extension. My tire size is 33x12.5R17 if it’s relevant. Thx!
Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need an hitch receiver extension bar? 5961363E-3E2B-4E12-BE0F-E99471801807
Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need an hitch receiver extension bar? D0570055-6E17-4643-88B3-6A965FB5F4F2
Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Hey members. Put in a Curt Class III 13392 hitch receiver today and after putting the ball mount in I’m wondering if I need to get a receiver extension. My tire size is 33x12.5R17 if it’s relevant. Thx!
Jeep Wrangler JL Do I need an hitch receiver extension bar? D0570055-6E17-4643-88B3-6A965FB5F4F2
I'm wondering the same thing, although I still have the stock tires on. Did you have to do anything to the spare tire mount to fit you 33's?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Put in a Curt Class III 13392 hitch receiver today and after putting the ball mount in I’m wondering if I need to get a receiver extension. My tire size is 33x12.5R17 if it’s relevant. Thx!
5961363E-3E2B-4E12-BE0F-E99471801807.jpeg
Andrew, you'll want to hook up the trailer you're towing, and test the bumper-to-tongue clearance when in a tight turn. You can also observe if a lower hitch draw bar is required in order to maintain a level trailer connection.

I suggest the foregoing because extenders reduce the tongue weight capacity. Others can't even be used with trailers. Proceed carefully if you do use one.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I added a 4" extension to mine when I upgraded to 35's so that my bike carrier would fit.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@atso

I'd return that Curt hitch and get a refund....... unless all you want it for is to carry a bicycle. If that is all you want to do, go buy a hitch extender for use with that Curt 4".

Actually, for trailer towing, you need to buy a decent adjustable hitch.... the non-adjustable 4" Curt hitch you have is not going to do the job for you.

That non-adjustable, 4 inch hitch on a JL, is not going to work with most trailers, if not all.

On a JL, (especially a Rubicon) because of how tall it is.... will require a hitch with at least a 6" drop ......and more often then not an 8" drop will be needed for proper/safe trailer towing

Buy a decent 8-10" adjustable drop hitch... You'll then have the choice of different drops and you will see the ball out from under the spare a bit, which is best.. avoid hitch extenders...

Read through this whole thread for more on this:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bw-trailer-hitch.29111/

Last edited:

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@atso

I'd return that Curt hitch and get a refund....... unless all you want it for is to carry a bicycle. If that is all you want to do, go buy a hitch extender for use with that Curt 4".

Actually, for trailer towing, you need to buy a decent adjustable hitch.... the non-adjustable 4" Curt hitch you have is not going to do the job for you.

That non-adjustable, 4 inch hitch on a Rubicon, especially, is not going to work with most trailers, if not all.

On a Rubicon, because of how tall it is.... will require a hitch with at least a 6" drop ......and more often then not an 8" drop will be needed for proper/safe trailer towing

Buy a decent 8-10" adjustable drop hitch... You'll then have the choice of different drops and you will see the ball out from under the spare a bit, which is a must.. avoid hitch extenders...

Read through this whole thread for more on this:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bw-trailer-hitch.29111/

Depends heavily on what trailer you are going to tow. Uhauls and boats are going to want about a 18.5” ball height, but smaller utility trailers may be lower. If you have the trailer you want to use, it’s best to measure the drop and buy that specific drop hitch. (Measure to the top of the receiver tube opening and subtract the desired tongue height).

If you don’t know what trailer you’ll be using, an adjustable would be handy so you don’t have to run and buy a different drop as @Rhinebeck01 recommends.

I would not use an extension bar unless it’s only for hitch mounted carrier.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I had to put an extender on mine for myWaverunner trailer because it would not clear the tire lifting the trailer to ball, the tire got in the way. I also needed an extender for my bike rack. Of course the more drop inches, the more clearance. you Really just need to try hooking up what you have and go from there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@GATORB8

Guess the take I wanted to pass on so to speak, is this:

What, I learned after my first 20 years of towing, is to just invest in a half way decent adjustable hitch.

Over the years, you will acquire and use, borrow and use, or whatever many different trailers.

Over the years,... you end up buying different rise/drop hitches... a 2", a 4", a 6", etc., and you end up with a pile of hitches and over the long haul spend a lot of $ on a scad of hitches.

Also, depending on your trailer, the height of the trailer tongue can differ by inches depending on, if it is loaded or empty, etc... or if you have passengers in the back of the tow vehicle...Today you may need a 1 inch drop and tomorrow you may need a 2 or 4", 6' or 8" drop.. or you may need a 2", 3:, or whatever rise....

With that said.... I encourage all to buy a decent adjustable hitch.

Yes, a decent adjustable hitch will cost you $100+- but you will always have a proper hitch when you are dealing with whatever trailer you are dealing with. Think tomorrow and years to come and how your needs will change.

Buy an adjustable hitch and that one time purchase will go through life with you so to speak.

If you carry a adjustable hitch with you, you will always be prepared for whatever trailer you back up to ..... regardless of your tow vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Whatever you buy, you need to assure it extends ..... out just past the Jeep's spare tire.
Best to avoid hitch extender's in regard to towing..

OP
OP
atso

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
awesome thx for the feedback everyone. I’ll take the advice and look for a longer adjustable ball mount rather than have 5 lying around. Yeah primarily it’ll used for towing and maybe bike or ski rack down the road.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awesome thx for the feedback everyone. I’ll take Rhinebeck’s advice and look for a longer adjustable ball mount rather than have 5 lying around. Yeah primarily it’ll used for towing and maybe bike or ski rack down the road.
@atso

With the adjustable hitch, it's a one time purchase..... though a little more $ wise...... it will serve you for well, probably the rest of your life.............. and for ALL your trailer towing needs...

Just don't leave it on the vehicle 365 days a year... use and then wipe off and store it in a dry place...

ONE decent 8-10" adjustable hitch is better/way way less expensive then your buying say 10 fixed hitches in your lifetime.. 8-)
Sponsored