Sponsored

Do I have time to order a factory built Jeep?

PerfectDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Edit - Just wanted to update you all. The dealer I ordered from I spoke with on 4 December. Had it ordered on 6 December. It arrived 6 January. Took four weeks and 1 day.

Bit of backstory, I am stationed in the UK. Will be arriving back in the states early January. Heading home near Chicago for about a month. During that month I am looking to purchase a Jeep. I then will be driving that Jeep down to New Mexico for my next duty station which I have to report to early February.

My current plan is to visit all the dealerships back home and find a Jeep I like enough so I can get myself down to NM. I went with this option versus just flying myself down to NM and looking for a Jeep there because for where I am going, it is very isolated and there are a lot more options near Chicago compared to NM. Plus I wanted to spend time off visiting family and friends.

Regardless, do I even have time to order a Jeep through one of the dealerships around Chicago? I am tempted to reach out to them via email to see what they can do but is it possible to have a Jeep built and available (since I have a deadline and I absolutely need a car to get to my next base and while I am there) before early February if I order now? I am assuming I can only order 2022s, which is fine by me.

I am assuming I am stuck with what is on the lot (unsure if 2022s would be on the lot by then) but I wanted to reach out to you experts and see what you had to say. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Bit of backstory, I am stationed in the UK. Will be arriving back in the states early January. Heading home near Chicago for about a month. During that month I am looking to purchase a Jeep. I then will be driving that Jeep down to New Mexico for my next duty station which I have to report to early February.

My current plan is to visit all the dealerships back home and find a Jeep I like enough so I can get myself down to NM. I went with this option versus just flying myself down to NM and looking for a Jeep there because for where I am going, it is very isolated and there are a lot more options near Chicago compared to NM. Plus I wanted to spend time off visiting family and friends.

Regardless, do I even have time to order a Jeep through one of the dealerships around Chicago? I am tempted to reach out to them via email to see what they can do but is it possible to have a Jeep built and available (since I have a deadline and I absolutely need a car to get to my next base and while I am there) before early February if I order now? I am assuming I can only order 2022s, which is fine by me.

I am assuming I am stuck with what is on the lot (unsure if 2022s would be on the lot by then) but I wanted to reach out to you experts and see what you had to say. Thanks for your time.
I highly doubt it!!! 2023s don't start production until around Dec 6th.

My dealer has received orders as soon as 4 weeks but mine has taken almost 6 months. It's luck of the draw. Better find one on the ground or in transit and purchase immediately. My large market dealer has NONE in stock. Good Luck!!!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Don't order with such a tight deadline. Delivery times are really varied now. More likely than not you won't get it in time.

I think your best bet would be to contact several dealers right away and keep an open dialog with them. Maybe you'll be able to snag something that comes across their lot (inventory is really low, almost non-existent).

Don't be shy about playing the active military card, that could make all the difference.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Find a dealer anywhere in the country that'll order with a refundable/no deposit. Put your order in today. If it gets built, fantastic, have it shipped to wherever is convenient. If it doesn't get built in time, start looking for something in inventory and expect to pay significantly more for it.

This doesn't have to be an either or proposition.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Find a dealer anywhere in the country that'll order with a refundable/no deposit. Put your order in today. If it gets built, fantastic, have it shipped to wherever is convenient. If it doesn't get built in time, start looking for something in inventory and expect to pay significantly more for it.

This doesn't have to be an either or proposition.
Great option. Mike Clinnin at Mall of Georgia does not require a deposit. I'm sure there are others.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

2022s should start building next week. They probably already have a large set of existing orders, since the 2022 order banks opened in October (I think?).

It's *possible* that you could order today and pick it up in February, but there's just no way to know for sure. When I ordered back in June, mine was built and delivered in 8 weeks. Others who ordered at the same time took 2-3x as long. At any point, a single option (Gorilla Glass, for instance) can be the delaying factor, but no one knows what that's going to be until it happens.

Right now, dealer inventory is SUPER light. With 2022's building next week, it's entirely possible that dealers will get a fresh set of inventory by late January/early February, but again, no one knows for sure.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

This doesn't really answer your question, butttt, In my area (southern oregon), I see a larger selection (and nicer jeeps) from trade ins on NON jeep/chrysler lots than any of our Jeep dealerships lots. Might be able to find a nicer ride in the used box rather than the, take what we have or f off kinda deal, follow any of that? good luck and thanks for your service!

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Based on my experience of 90 days held up by the Gorilla Glass I don't think you have time. That said if you have something else to use in the short term ordering exactly what you want does provide great satisfaction in my book.

Hard to predict, but I suppose it is possible that when the '22 production begins you will start to see a better selection on the dealer lots, especially in a big market like Chicago. Who knows, reach out now, see if you can find a good contact and have them show you what they have coming?

Jreycnc

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 3.6/AT JLUR, 21 392
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you going in NM? If its Holloman/Alamogordo I would contact an El Paso dealer and order through them and take the pressure off of yourself. ELP is a decent sized market and only ~1hr away from there. If its Cannon/Clovis go to Lubbock (2hrs). Anywhere else with a base in NM should be close to either Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Sooo..... I live in CO and ordered a '22 JLUR... I'll sell it to you. I'm expecting it in February.... $65k! MSRP was $50k. It will be awesome, you'll love it!

Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I ordered a 22 in mid October. I have no expectation that it will be here before February.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Based on my experience of 90 days held up by the Gorilla Glass I don't think you have time.
I really wish I'd done some research on the forum before I ordered that option. Didn't dawn on me that I was setting myself up for unnecessary delays, but it should have.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I really wish I'd done some research on the forum before I ordered that option. Didn't dawn on me that I was setting myself up for unnecessary delays, but it should have.
I did miss out on top down driving in August, but if it helps keep the windshield intact longer, it will be worth it. I’m glad I got the Jeep the way I wanted it.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I highly doubt it!!! 2023s don't start production until around Dec 6th.

My dealer has received orders as soon as 4 weeks but mine has taken almost 6 months. It's luck of the draw. Better find one on the ground or in transit and purchase immediately. My large market dealer has NONE in stock. Good Luck!!!
Those will start production in about a year. haha.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired

I'm from NW Indiana as well (The Region), and there aren't any dealerships in that area that will play ball with decent discounts. You may be at their mercy for pricing. And as others have said, you will not be able to order one and get it in your timeframe. Good luck.
Sponsored