Do black fenders color fade with time?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Well if the plastic fenders will fade over time does that mean the unpainted hard top will also fade or is that made of different material?
The black hard top isnā€™t Ā« unpainted Ā», just painted with a black textured paint/coating.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
They faded on both my ā€˜10 and ā€˜14 JKā€™s, I just used the back to Black restorer. I went with paint match fenders and black top on my JLUR order.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
The short answer is yes, but the sun is the bigger contributor to fading. Heat, cold, dirt, salt will all contribute to fading so a regular application of some sort of protectant is a good idea.
Salt as Iā€™m sure you know is no good on anything except maybe certain foods. The DOT seldom use it in Oregon but we do trips to the coast and dunes and it gets exposed. I built a spray bar that attaches to my pressure washer, it has nozzles every 8ā€ and is long enough to get the underside of the Jeep and my RV, simply hook it up and slowly drive over to rinse the underside. Back to the black fenders oxidizing...door handles and hood latches as well... you can always use a heat gun to restore the plastic...thereā€™s a few videos on how to do this.. the creams and sprays make it shiny and new looking but wash off and the fenders go gray again..just remember to tape off the painted surfaces and take your time with a heat gun in a steady circular motion, you donā€™t want to melt it and the plastic must be thoroughly cleaned first.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
They are going to get scratched up anyways on the trail. Better to scratch the black plastic rather than the painted fenders. Then just replace them down the road.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
The non body color roof option.
All hardtops are painted. They are either Black in color or painted to match body color.

Below is what you would use for touch up of a black Wrangler hardtop.

Black Wrangler Hardtop = Mopar part # 68060405AA

paint.jpg

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
For "touch-up" of a Wrangler black hard top, you do not want to use Krylon spray paint..

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
They are going to get scratched up anyways on the trail. Better to scratch the black plastic rather than the painted fenders. Then just replace them down the road.
Yes, when to far gone, just replace with aftermarket fenders or buy new OEM black plastic fenders from a Mopar parts vendor.

You can buy a pair of brand new black front fenders from Jeep for approx. $200 per pair. Backs are about $100 a pair. Flairs are easy to remove and replace.

Also, you can often find new black plastic front and rear pull-offs on eBAY, Craigslist, forum classifieds, etc. for cheap.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@zgn .. My posts in regard to "touch-up" were in regard to hardtop touch, not faded fender flairs.

Sponsored

htsai14752

First Name
HTSAI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This was a tough decision for everyone it seems.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
When we would take an old TJ in on trade ( I work in parts at a dealership), I would always try to get sales to replace the flares because they would be light gray. Back to black helps a lot, but if they're too far gone, you either live with it or replace.
Or paint.

lagunajim

If you have the black fenders, a nice trick is to ask your Jeep custom shop if they have brand-new sets of them they removed from new Jeeps when modding them for their owners.

My shop is awesome, and replaced my fenders for just the labor cost -- like 3 hours I think ;)

Be nice to the people you do business with!
Sponsored