Sponsored

Do black fenders color fade with time?

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi all.
I am tying to make up my mind wether to go with body color JL fenders or Black for my rubicon. ? Any pros or cons? Does the black fender color fade with time ?
I like the rugged look of the black fender, I just don’t want to have them fade from the sun down the road.
Any Feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Go find a Chevy Avalanche.... LOL loved mine, hated the plastic.

UV exposure will break down just about anything if given enough time. Some polymers resist better than others, but generally aren’t as flexible as the case would need to be for the fenders. Thankfully there are restoration products available to combat this.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I had a '98 TJ with black fenders, and after about 10 years they faded into an ugly gray. Every spring I would put Back-to-Black on them, twice a year probably would have been better... but not more than that. When I bought my '15 JKU, I got the color fenders specifically because of this problem. The problem with the color fenders is the branches scratch them, especially on the edges. The rear gets it the worst, as you also have rocks that will come off the front tires and hit the rear fenders and put dents in them. So if you offroad a lot... the color matched aren't going to last over time.

Sponsored

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75
When we would take an old TJ in on trade ( I work in parts at a dealership), I would always try to get sales to replace the flares because they would be light gray. Back to black helps a lot, but if they're too far gone, you either live with it or replace.

Reactions: Gus

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So can someone bottom line it? If you are getting the black flares and you want a regular routine to keep them black, what would it be?

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I have a 2010 Rubicon with black fenders. It wouldn't surprise me to find they have faded to some degree if I ever parked next to a new JK. However, I can't tell and they remain a visual match to the black painted rock rails. It's being traded in on a factory ordered JL that is configured with black fenders for the reasons Zoobie stated.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
All plastic fades given enough time and the right conditions. Upkeep is your friend.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Helps if it's IL :)

Out here in AZ, GL, garaged or not.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Fading is a function of location, if the Jeep is garaged and care of the vehicle. It's similar to a convertible top. I have a Boxster that I bought new in 2001 and the top is still almost perfect and the rear plastic window is very clear. The reason, the car has always been garaged, never driven in the winter and only has 39K miles on the clock, plus I live in New England. Everything fades in the sun given enough exposure. If your jeep is going to live out-of-doors in AZ or FL your going to need extra protection for the plastic and the paint.
Sponsored