Sponsored

Do all JL rubicons come with Red tow hooks?

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Our Recon came with red tow hooks but my wife had me and my BIL remove them to get powder coated hot pink (it's her Jeep). Before and after pics in a few weeks when we get them back.
Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Do red ones work better?
Yes, it is a proven fact that the color red provided an additional gravitational pull which improved the angular velocity. Assuming that is the other vehicle is using a Winch and block and tackle.. Its on video somewhere.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The color of the tow hooks is a trim identifier, blue = electric, red = rubicon, gold = 392, etc. You can tell what model/trim a Jeep is by the trim color.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You remove the bumper, which allows you to remove the tow hooks. Then you take them to your local powder coating business. Don’t forget the rear hook.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
So there is a snag if you are trying to remove the front hooks on some JL models to replace or rattle can. They are actually welded to the bumper and you cannot remove them. We spent all morning removing the front bumper to replace his "black hooks with red hooks - to increase performance of course) only to find out there is no way in hell to remove the hooks unless you want to cut them off, ie PIA. Ended up rattle canning them and they actually look great.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The color of the tow hooks is a trim identifier, blue = electric, red = rubicon, gold = 392, etc. You can tell what model/trim a Jeep is by the trim color.
Blue hooks are only on Rubs and HA, Sahara 4xe still have black.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So there is a snag if you are trying to remove the front hooks on some JL models to replace or rattle can. They are actually welded to the bumper and you cannot remove them. We spent all morning removing the front bumper to replace his "black hooks with red hooks - to increase performance of course) only to find out there is no way in hell to remove the hooks unless you want to cut them off, ie PIA. Ended up rattle canning them and they actually look great.
Did you dissasemble the bumper once it was off? They were in front of the bumper crash bar on our Rubicon plastic bumper and came out during disassembly to access the fogs.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Did you dissasemble the bumper once it was off? They were in front of the bumper crash bar on our Rubicon plastic bumper and came out during disassembly to access the fogs.
Yeah, it was odd. The bolts (4 ea) extended through the piece. The assumption was remove the bolts and pull off the hooks. SURPRISE.. They would not come of and closer inspection proved they were actually tac welded in several places. Turn it over and there are the hooks but you would have to grind the welds. Mine were a snap, as advertised. Some guy with too much time on his hands at lunch at the factory. I dont know if other models were the same? Lot of work for an "Ah Shit"

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Only real Jeeps come with black tow hooks!!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored