Sponsored

Do all JL Rubicons come with factory installed Aux switches ?

JoseTorro

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 4 Door
Do all JL Rubicons comes with factory installed Aux switches ?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No, only if you purchased one with the towing package. Aftermarket kits are available, and involve a 2-3 hour install if you do it yourself. You'd also need to have the Jeep dealership provide a software (Flash) update or purchase a TazerJL and enable the AUX switches using its features.

OP
OP
JoseTorro

JoseTorro

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 4 Door
No, only if you purchased one with the towing package. Aftermarket kits are available, and involve a 2-3 hour install if you do it yourself. You'd also need to have the Jeep dealership provide a software (Flash) update or purchase a TazerJL and enable the AUX switches using its features.
i wish i new this before i ordered, damn. thanks for the info.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
i wish i new this before i ordered, damn. thanks for the info.
Initially, I wasn't interested in the towing package. About a month ago, I wanted to install lighting, so I picked up the auxiliary kit from Mopar. I'm not sure if you'll find it any less expensive... part # is 82215190. Don't confuse with 82215190AB, which is for the Sahara and Sport.

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-auxiliary-switch-bank-silver-rubicon-p-8368.html

https://www.amazon.com/82215190-Jee...537440855&sr=1-4&keywords=mopar+auxiliary+kit

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Yep, it all depends on the options you order on your Rubicon.

Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Check out online videos for install. As has been stated many times, the most difficult part will be bringing the wire loom throught he body harness grommet. Some suggested, rather than pulling back the fender liner, remove the whole fender. I wish I had done that. Not that difficult and a video posted on this site. Altneratively, go through the grommet from the INSIDE. You WILL be cursing and swearing trying to get through that grommet. An observation: "They don't make wire coat hangers like they used to".... Way to flexible. Had to go to my folks' and find a wire hanger made in the last millenium, made out of stiff, real steel.

Once you get past that grommet, easy. You will need longer wire ties than provided to secure harness to front of engine bay. Not sure what engineers were thinking. Others have also commented on this.

Once mine was done, I enabled with Tazer JL (I'm not sure any true "flashing" goes on at dealer or with Tazer, seems that existing settings are merely enabled and made visible), but NO GO!. Aggravated. UntilI realized there was an update to the Tazer JL that addressed this. Happy now.

A dealer will add the Aux switches to your JL's sales code, if you have them perform the update and/or install - if that is important to you.

I have dash cam on Aux 1
Waiting for Mopar bumper brackets to mount my 7" LEDS - apparently these brackets are made out of some kind of unobtanium and are now delayed until October.

OP
OP
JoseTorro

JoseTorro

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 4 Door
Initially, I wasn't interested in the towing package. About a month ago, I wanted to install lighting, so I picked up the auxiliary kit from Mopar. I'm not sure if you'll find it any less expensive... part # is 82215190. Don't confuse with 82215190AB, which is for the Sahara and Sport.

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-auxiliary-switch-bank-silver-rubicon-p-8368.html

https://www.amazon.com/82215190-Jee...537440855&sr=1-4&keywords=mopar+auxiliary+kit
ending in AB seems to be for the rubicon, can you double check that.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I installed mine using the zip ties that came with the kit. the Mopar instructions show running the zip ties directly behind the front panel of the wire tray that goes across the engine. As opposed to what would make more sense of running all the way behind the entire tray.

I went the factory was just due it being a larger pain in the butt to run longer zip ties behind the entire tray/conduit.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Getting through the firewall is tough, but definitely do-able. In fact, I didn't even fold back the fender liner when I installed mine.

Instead, I used a box cutter (razer) to make a slit in the rubber grommet on the inside of the Jeep. Made a second cut in the same vicinity on the grommet outside of the firewall by crawling under the Jeep (used a creeper). The key is to have a small roll of "Fish Tape." This stuff is a lifesaver, and I use it anytime I need to run wire/cable.

With the Fish Tape, you just poke the end of it from the inside of the grommet through both holes you cut, then pull it down below the engine. Tape the wire you're pulling through (very well) to the Fish Tape, and your done in a matter of minutes. Fish Tape is very rigid!

It doesn't seem like too many folks have heard of or used fish tape, but it's a ton more effective than the coat hanger method or manually feeding wires through.

AUX Switch install was a 2-3 hour process.
Sponsored