Sponsored

DIY Tool Kit for On-Trail Repairs

Rental01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURXe (Bikini!)
I'm considering building a diy toolkit for on-trail repairs and I don't really want to bring all my tools with me. What would you recommend? I currently have a 2024 4xe Rubicon but I don't want to limit it to my own Jeep in case I come across someone who needs different tools. Also, I know my dad used to mark his tools when he was a mechanic, what is a good way to do that so I don't get mine confused with someone else?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rental01

Rental01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURXe (Bikini!)
I just found the same and am reading through to see what I need to buy for a small roll kit vs what I already have, since if I have it in my Jeep then take it out to work on something, it will definitely NOT be in my Jeep when I need it.
Here something very basic to get you started. Add and delete items as needed.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Tool Kit for On-Trail Repairs IMG_2117

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Keep a mindset of versatility and light weight. Remember, a trail fix doesn't need to be done right. It just has to get you home or to the closest repair shop.

Instead of combination wrenches, use a socket wrench and sockets. You can get more socket sizes/types for the same weight & volume. Carry one adjustable wrench for when sockets won't do. It's a Jeep so don't forget about Torx bits. The JL is an electronic vehicle so carry a cheap mini multimeter for electrical troubleshooting. Duct Tape and Bailing Wire are the king & queen of versatility and a must have. Same with ratchet straps & a good handful of zip ties.

This is by no means a complete list but it will put you in the right direction. You want to means to do many different types of quick & dirty trail repairs as possible, not try to replicate a functional garage to do professional repairs.