DIY: Rear hatch LED light strip

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I looked at other pre-made light strips... wrong for me in so many ways. I even contacted some outfits with my concerns and specs but there seemed to be no interest in making what I wanted.

So I made my own. Seems simple right?

Nothing I do is simple. It had to be white and red LED’s, and the white light needed to be pleasant. Not the damn bluish 6K interrogation light like some are selling as a “kit” for the JL with a hokey remote control.

D79E1550-F760-4FC1-A8BE-05A75C221D34.jpeg

I wanted something with RGB (deleting the G and B) at about 3.5K to 4K. And a simple 3 way switch.

Off to Super Bright LED’s I went...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Adventurist

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Here’s the lights I ordered. I have some left over for future projects

606CE070-1361-4623-93E1-5AC9E4AE9EA2.jpeg

I also ordered a nice extrusion from them to mount the light for a finished look. And a small 3 position switch. These lights are triggered off the ground so that made wiring them a snap.

Here are the parts and PN’s from superbrightLEDs.com

B666C134-4CCC-4CA5-B455-230359047CC7.jpeg

This was also a good time to add an extra skookum USB port in the cargo area, a Blue Sea 4.8 amp dual USB right next to the Blue Sea power port that runs the Engel. Charging a tablet on a 1 amp USB sucks, so this should fix that
wink.gif

79C6FD33-5085-4051-B1A8-90BCA1CC32CF.jpeg

12 ga wiring (after I took this photo I realized I wasn’t happy with 16 ga so I rebuilt it in 12 ga), copious heat shrink and marine grade terminals.

EE3E3D14-38DD-447A-93DA-21C4807D72D6.jpeg

On the lighting, I hid the switch where it will be out of the way, with no chance of inadvertent activation or dead battery. No LED light on the switch itself, just a basic on/off switch. Total parasitic draw of the two Blue Sea ports and this switch is around 2 mA. Acceptable given the huge benefits.

4CE79C84-BB25-41B6-A4E8-96E91C22FA14.jpeg

Back inside the rear driver’s side panel, wiring is 100% squared away. I added spade terminals inline in case I ever want to take the top off. Several colors of heat shrink tubing denote the LED strip’s OEM brown to my black extension to hot wire from the light strip. Red and white are for their corresponding light switches. Blue is common ground which activates the lights. I use orange zip ties as bread crumbs, they identify anything I’ve added. Everything is armored and chafe proof...

Switch in it’s discrete location just inside the hatch.

2A71BF78-C5B6-47E6-A778-35518FA4B0C1.jpeg

Red or white lighting now available at the rear tailgate area for cooking etc. Finis.

AB73BCE0-7DE1-4ADD-ACC8-C8416874B9B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

P.Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport
Just came across this. That looks phenomenal. Thanks for taking the time to write this up -- this is absolutely something I was thinking about doing and now I have no excuse not to.

OP
OP
American Adventurist

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Just came across this. That looks phenomenal. Thanks for taking the time to write this up -- this is absolutely something I was thinking about doing and now I have no excuse not to.
You're welcome

OP
OP
American Adventurist

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Can you add a little more detail on wiring.

Thanks! I'll do it on weekend.
What do you want to know? There's an OEM 12v cigarette lighter/port in the rear cargo area, everything I've added is powered off that, and the OEM ground is right there as well. Add a 3 way switch for your LED light strip and you're done.

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
Thanks for this write up. I am working on the same type of mod but I bought a bluetooth controller so I can change the color as needed. (I often do night photography and using a bright color ruins my night vision, so i use a dim red light. But that doesn't work well when I am cooking at my campsite). My question... is it hard to remove the plastic trim panels or are they just clipped in like most of the other panels.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for this write up. I am working on the same type of mod but I bought a bluetooth controller so I can change the color as needed. (I often do night photography and using a bright color ruins my night vision, so i use a dim red light. But that doesn't work well when I am cooking at my campsite). My question... is it hard to remove the plastic trim panels or are they just clipped in like most of the other panels.
Check out this video it covers the removal of the plastic trim panels.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Sooo, I finally got around to doing this mod. Thanks for the idea. I was going to get the Brawlee version, but when I saw this, I knew this was the way to go. Having the red light option at night is much better for when I'm out doing some night photography rather than blinding my self.

2019-10-19 JWJL Rear Window Lightbar-0003.jpg
2019-10-19 JWJL Rear Window Lightbar-0009.jpg

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
That's a cool mod. I might copy this idea also.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Great job!

Idiot proof this for me:
1. If you could list the source for the connectors and part numbers that would be great.
2. I'm assuming you can cut the LED strip? If so, how where?
3. It looks like you mounted the strip on/in something? Part # source please.
4. What connectors do you use to power the strip? Part # source please.

I have plenty of shrink wrap. What I'm curious about is waterproofing on the door. Was/is moisture/condensation a concern?

Thanks

OP
OP
American Adventurist

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Great job!

Idiot proof this for me:
1. If you could list the source for the connectors and part numbers that would be great.
2. I'm assuming you can cut the LED strip? If so, how where?
3. It looks like you mounted the strip on/in something? Part # source please.
4. What connectors do you use to power the strip? Part # source please.

I have plenty of shrink wrap. What I'm curious about is waterproofing on the door. Was/is moisture/condensation a concern?

Thanks
1. Amazon. See reviews, get some decent automotive rated heat shrink connectors. And a heat gun.
2. Yes. The strips are marked in increments showing you where they can be cut. Easy.
3. Super Bright LED's dot com. Many different LED strip extrusions there to choose from.
4. See #1 above. Get a variety pack of good connectors and you'll be good.

Here's the PN for the LED strip itself:

606CE070-1361-4623-93E1-5AC9E4AE9EA2.jpeg
Sponsored