Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Overhead CB Mount for JL Wrangler:
Materials:
-Steel tubing (square or round)- Minimum 44” length. Can be varying thickness, as it’s not structural but it does need to be strong enough to hold a full size CB.
-2 flat steel 9”x2”x1/8” flat steel brackets- I found these under the shelving/ fence section of my local hardware store

4 5/16x1.5” Hex bolts (these will hold the CB bar together)

2- M8x1.25” hex bolts (these thread into the JL door surround)

4- ¼ 20 Lock nuts

4- 1/4x1” Fender Washers

Spray paint (1 can of your color of choice)

Foam Pool noodle
Zip ties

Tools:
Angle Grinder with cutoff wheel

Drill w/ bits (I used 7/16” hole)
1” diameter Step up bit

Wire wheel attachment (for grinder or drill)
sockets/Wrenches (according to bolt sizes).

Procedure:
1). Cut your steel tubing down to 44” width. This is the span inside the JL roll bars. This will let it hang so it does not interfere with Hard top.
2). Line L-brackets up on top of Steel tubing. If there are existing holes, use a Sharpie to Mark the holes for drilling. Mine varied a bit, so I just Measured ~1” in from the edge of the tubing. This gave the tubing enough space to clear the JL roll bar when hanging from the L-Brackets. I had to do some test fitting and ended up drilling new holes in the L Brackets anyway.
A4B52484-E385-4C5B-B366-5014BE43782D.jpeg

3). Once holes are marked and measured, use the drill to drill them out. My bolts were 5/16”, so I used a 7/16” bit. Just make sure your hole is large enough to fit the bolt through without damaging the threads
12DCA6DD-3B82-4854-9F2D-FED7C9C91E01.jpeg

4). Assemble and test fit. Use two of the 5/16x1.5” hex bolts backed with a Fender washer on either side and a Nylock nut for each to bolt the tubing to the bottom side of the L brackets. I faced the hex head up to avoid interference with my sunshade top. You want the L brackets to sit just inboard of the roll bar. For me, I mounted them on the rear 1” hole with the right angle facing forward. This allowed enough room to clear the Hard top center latches in the front. Make alterations as needed, depending on your preferences.
5CEE9758-2195-47D9-80BE-9397F95E6FC0.jpeg

5). Mark and measure a line at the mid point of your steel tubing. This should be about 22”, but if you want the radio to be closer or farther away from the driver, it will differ. Mine is slightly closer to the driver.

6). Line CB mounting bracket up, and mark holes for each mounting location. Drill out holes. This time with the CB mounting bracket installed, use the other two 5/16x1.5” bolts and nylock nuts to bolt the CB mounting bracket to the CB bar tubing. I usually face the hex head down to allow for better clearance of the radio body.
C6F7D5BC-A931-4A79-8478-D04D49B800BB.jpeg

7). Test fit again. Center the L Brackets over the 1” hole closest to the B Pillar (rear of driver compartment). Mark the center of this using a Sharpie. (see picture in next step)

8). Use the step up bit to drill out a 1” diameter hole in the L Brackets. This is important if you use a Mopar Soft top as this will allow you to use the CB bar without interfering with the OEM Door surrounds- it should just slide under and the door surround will hold it in place.
A4C0DA20-6DA7-4C04-8EA6-3F3E24F6B4A6.jpeg

9). Test fit again. Use the M8-1.25” bolts secured with a fender washer on top (if you’re not installing with a soft top), and a fender washer and nylock nut on the bottom. This should be your final test fit to make sure everything lines up and you’re satisfied with your results.

10). Disassemble the CB bar. Hit it with the wire brush to remove any dirt/ oxidation/ rough edges, and scuff the surface for paint.. I wiped mine down with mineral spirits and let it dry in the sun.

11). Once dry, apply a coat of spray paint. I used the Rustoleum Lacquer. It’s high gloss and looks great. My L Brackets were pre painted but I had to do some touch up where I removed some of the burs from the drill.

12). FINAL ASSEMBLY: bolt everything together (as listed in previous steps). Bolt into Jeep. If you have a soft top, the L Brackets should slide right under the nub and the door surrounds. If you’re using a hard top, just make sure to use the Fender washer on top as well.
0D5F4111-C622-4C98-9F16-9135FD121B8E.jpeg

13). Install your CB Radio and run your cables. Fasten to tubing with small zip ties, and trim excess zip tie lenght

14). Slice the foam pool noodle down the center to open it up. Measure and mark the center section where the CB Mounting bracket is.

15). Cut the foam noodle into 3 pieces based on your measurements from previous step.
16). With opening facing up, wrap foam around CB bar on left and right sections. Secure with zip ties, and cut excess length. Beware sharp edges.

17). With opening facing down, place center section over the top of the section with the CB mounting bracket. Secure with zip ties, and cut excess length.
BC06D314-5BD4-4536-9B08-145039EBAC71.jpeg

There you have it! Overhead CB bar for the JL.
778B82D5-70D5-42C0-AE1F-D8ACB7542750.jpeg

Notes and final thoughts:
-I added the foam for head protection. I’m 5’9” and sometimes if I lean forward it would come close to my head. As it is, the brim of my hat contacts the foam sometimes if i’m fidgeting in my seat when I first get in the Jeep. The CB can be kind of close to your head and could be a hazard for sudden lateral movement (when you’re getting in or if you get into an accident). I’m not entirely comfortable with the positioning between the driver and passenger and I may get new L-Brackets to move it farther forward, away from the lateral head movement zone this summer. If you’re taller than me, You may want to do the same.

-This took me a few months of weekends and days off to figure out, and lots of measuring/ remeasuring/ drilling/ testing. I bought a lot of hardware to get it right. In the end, mine isn’t very clean or pretty (because of that trial and error method, and time) but I could probably re-do it again and it would be much nicer. Overall, this probably cost me around $30 for all the materials. I had to buy a few tools but it was still cheaper than some of the pre-made online alternatives.

-I’ve had it installed since late August, and so far it has yet to rattle. The bar is strong enough for me to hoist myself up on it, but I wouldn’t use it in place of grab handles and I wouldn’t count on it adding any rigidity to the roll bar.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Update:
as detailed in my build thread, I went wheeling at Rausch Creek, and kept hitting the brim of my hat on this thing. I'm not tall by any means (5'9") so needless to say, this thing had to come out.

it's been removed, and I'm currently working on a solution that relocates the CB radio above the rear view mirror, in front of the trim. I'll post an update when I get a chance to finish that, between working and family obligations.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
as detailed in my build thread, I went wheeling at Rausch Creek, and kept hitting the brim of my hat on this thing. I'm not tall by any means (5'9") so needless to say, this thing had to come out.

it's been removed, and I'm currently working on a solution that relocates the CB radio above the rear view mirror, in front of the trim. I'll post an update when I get a chance to finish that, between working and family obligations.
Why not put the bar on top of the L bracket instead of underneath? Should give you a bit more headroom.

Edit: my DIY rack thread, mine looks quite a bit higher than yours and we both have soft tops.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-overhead-accessory-and-rifle-mount.43767/

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have one of these built by by you tube guy, it sits farther forward, so no head or hat contact at 6'1". My wife like to "dive" into the jeep head first and has hit the corner of the CB a few times with her head, she's finally figuring it out though. You are on the right path, just need to get it further forward.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Why not put the bar on top of the L bracket instead of underneath? Should give you a bit more headroom.

Edit: my DIY rack thread, mine looks quite a bit higher than yours and we both have soft tops.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-overhead-accessory-and-rifle-mount.43767/
I have soft and hard tops. My boundary is my Alien Sun Shade- if it goes above that or pushes that too far up, then I know it will interfere with my hard top. It put the bar below the L Bracket so it would sit between the roll bars and clear both tops. Good thought though. for a while I was on that path until I remembered "hard top season soon" haha

I have one of these built by by you tube guy, it sits farther forward, so no head or hat contact at 6'1". My wife like to "dive" into the jeep head first and has hit the corner of the CB a few times with her head, she's finally figuring it out though. You are on the right path, just need to get it further forward.
That's actually been a concern of mine for a bit now, especially when considering a hard side impact or getting T-boned (god forbid). I'm running a Cobra LTD 25 Classic (Big CB) and it's still too close to my head. If I lengthen the L Brackets, then it pushes the bar forward and interferes with Hard/Soft top latches and also sun visors.

I have some other hardware from other projects that never came to fruition. My current Idea is to use a couple L brackets, bolted to the windshield/ roll bar behind the trim piece on either side above the rear view miror, and bolt my CB holder to that, then hang the CB from there. I have no had a chance to fully mock it up yet, though. I have some PTO coming and so I'm hoping to get some work in on this and a few other projects. I will update with my findings because that is not the only contingency plan I have.

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
what about behind you under the bar? then just mount the mic up by the mirror.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
what about behind you under the bar? then just mount the mic up by the mirror.
If you're talking between the driver/ passenger seats, then that's still in a real dangerous area in terms of potential side impacts. Plus, you'd have to take your eyes off the road to make any adjustments on the radio (change channel, turn up volume, squelch, etc).

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Go north and south, not east and west?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Go north and south, not east and west?
I'm not sure I follow. The mount spanned the cab (driver to passenger) but it was too low. IF you're talking about mounting the radio sideways, there would be similar issues, and most of my hardware is still set up for Front to back..

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Updated design. Real easy fix when you measure (DUH). So far, so good. Update is from my build thread.

Next up was the update to the overhead CB Mount. In retrospect, I had a bunch of ideas that were all overthought, overcomplicated, and just terrible. What did I do? Measured, and re-drilled another hole. Worked beautifully, moved the bar and CB forward and out of the way, and although it was kind of tight: kept access to the hard top panel clamps. The key to anyone doing this: stage your cross bar at the notch closest to the front door surround hole. Your L-brackets should fit just fine, and mine even slid under the edge of the windshield frame to hold them tight. It can be a little snug when putting the hard tip panels back on but that’s mainly due to the padding I put on it, I think.

Here, we see the original hole vs. the new one. New one started small, then bored out to the same size with a step up bit.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Overhead CB mount 778B82D5-70D5-42C0-AE1F-D8ACB7542750

Test fit

Clearances

Hard top panels fully reinstalled.

Sponsored