DIY Oil Change using Fumato drain valve

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Any of you gear heads who change your own oil ever use one of these Fumato drain valves? Thinking of getting one for my first oil change. You can get them with a hose nipple so you can drain the oil directly into a jug for recycling. They also have an additional locking clip to ensure the valve does not accidently open under “unusual circumstances”.

I have an oil pan and large galvanized spill shield I use, but somehow I always end up getting hot oil splashing somewhere or running down my arms.

I know on the RV forums there was always a debate about the Fumato valves leaving more old oil in the bottom of the pan than removing the drain bolt. Not sure if that’s really a big deal or not. I think the important thing is changing your oil on a regular basis. Since I’m running full synthetic, I do it every 5K, which is probably more often then necessary considering my jeep gets light to medium use.

http://fumotousa.com/results.php?ma...akeid=JEEP&modelid=Wrangler+Unlimited+3.6L+V6
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jondrew

In my earlier post, I said I use a "no nipple" Fumoto on my 3.6L, JL.. Actually, I use the Fumoto, short nipple F106S .

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@Jondrew

In my earlier post, I said I use a "no nipple" Fumoto on my 3.6L, JL.. Actually, I use the Fumoto, short nipple F106S .
I use a similar one. Only difference is the one I got lets you position the valve where you want it before torquing it down. I don’t think it was necessary to spend extra for that, but I’m quite happy with my purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HP5V092

I got this to got with it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JTEOQAC

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep

With the F106S -short nipple Fumoto.... Like with your's, I can attach a hose and drain into a bucket or a bottle even if I want to.

Most of the time I open the valve and just drain straight into this large yellow mouth oil pan ..... my aim has gotten real good with practice..
nnn.jpg

F106S
fumoto.png

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

custmfxwg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I used one on my Superduty and ran a short piece of hose into a 5 gallon bucket with lid and small opening. Let it drain while I changed the filter up on top of the engine. Took a lot longer, but had zero mess. Will use one on the JL as well.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you concerned that not all the oil comes out of the pan? Is there a lot left behind?
No. It all comes out, same as if it wasn’t installed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just can’t trust this design, in the unlikely event you were off in the Bush and say some underbrush were to catch on the level it’s going to be bad news, now if you have a skid plate covering that then all’s good but for me I’ll stick with the bolt and grab a wrench

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I just can’t trust this design, in the unlikely event you were off in the Bush and say some underbrush were to catch on the level it’s going to be bad news, now if you have a skid plate covering that then all’s good but for me I’ll stick with the bolt and grab a wrench
While I am sure it is VERY rare, I have actually seen this happen. A friend of the family had a 1980s toyota sedan that he maintained religiously that probably had 200k miles on it. Parked on a not very well maintained lawn (sorry dad) with centipede grass and weeds and as he pulled out, something must have caught the valve. There was a trail of dripping oil leading down the street for blocks. Amazingly, we managed to chase him down and no damage was done.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
While I am sure it is VERY rare, I have actually seen this happen. A friend of the family had a 1980s toyota sedan that he maintained religiously that probably had 200k miles on it. Parked on a not very well maintained lawn (sorry dad) with centipede grass and weeds and as he pulled out, something must have caught the valve. There was a trail of dripping oil leading down the street for blocks. Amazingly, we managed to chase him down and no damage was done.
I’m sure they have there place and I’m glad those that have them are enjoying the design, I could see these as a big plus on lots of applications and even on a vehicle if properly protected from possibly opening but I’ll just stick to a wrench and pull the plug and as long as i use proper tools and torque the plug and when and if it starts dripping replace the plug I’m sure it will out last me, I have never stripped a oil drain plug and I have done a lot of oil changes.
Sponsored