Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I started noticing my steering wheel wobble for a bit after i hit a pot hole or bump on the road. I do have the MC 3.5, any suggestions in how i should take care of this? It did not do it initially or i would of noticed it, just started doing it.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Star
I started noticing my steering wheel wobble for a bit after i hit a pot hole or bump on the road. I do have the MC 3.5, any suggestions in how i should take care of this? It did not do it initially or i would of noticed it, just started doing it.
Have you recently had an alignment or hit a big pothole or been wheeling hard or anything that could potentially change your front end setup? Since it wasn't happening before, you probably have a loose ball joint or rod end (which could have been caused by one of the events above, or could have just happened with normal driving if your kit wasn't rechecked within about 100 miles of driving after being installed).

Start in front at the passenger tire, and slowly/systematically check every ball joint and rod end for looseness, excessive play, loose jam nuts or castle nuts, etc. Move from passenger to driver as your checking. Then move to the rear and check back there also (although the problem is most likely in the front).

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
10-4,
Yes, I now remember hitting a big pot hole on my way to SA two weeks ago.
Will start with that later on this afternoon, just got hm from wk.
Thanks

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
10-4,
Yes, I now remember hitting a big pot hole on my way to SA two weeks ago.
Will start with that later on this afternoon, just got hm from wk.
Thanks
Also, did you get your steering damper fixed under the recall? I had the same issue, but they replaced the damper under recall and it was fixed. That said, one loose bolt could do it.

Sponsored

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
If I grab and move these there is a slight play on them both, took a video but wont let me attach it. Only place where I found some movement.

15830180181413599298100292893671.jpg

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
It has just a hair of play in them both, dont have deep sockets to try and tighten them, will have to go buy some.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It has just a hair of play in them both, dont have deep sockets to try and tighten them, will have to go buy some.
Make sure you use a torque wrench and first make sure they're tight to factory torques specs. If they still have play in them after that, take it to the dealer. That's all factory equipment, so they shouldn't have worn out that fast unless you've just been wheeling the crap out of it. There's and excellent video on YT somewhere with the [Banned Site] guy and the dynatrac guy where they show how to check ball joints for play using your thumb and give examples of how much it too much. I'm having trouble finding it at the moment though.

Sponsored

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
No haven't been wheeling at all, over rail road tracks at high speeds it's fine, it's only when I hit a pot hole, steering wheel wobbles a bit then stops. Guess wheels straighten out and wobble stops. Maybe cuz only one tire hits pot hole and not both?

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2020-2-29_23-38-19.png

Which one is it?
None on this list. Based on the picture you posted earlier, you're looking for the "drag link outer nut at knuckle" and the "tie rod end nut at knuckle" under the "steering linkage" table.

Screenshot_20200301-084813.png

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Here is the video link
There should be some movement if you're rotating them along their axis (like you are in the video). What you don't want is side to side movement. Best way to do it is turn the Jeep on, have someone sit in the driver's seat and move the steering wheel back and forth ONLY THROUGH THE RANGE OF 'PLAY' (not enough to actually move the wheels). While they're doing that over and over, you get down under the front and put your thumb across the joint and it's mount. The ball joint and the mount should be loading and unloading together. If the joint is moving more/less that the mount, then there's a problem.

I'll try to shoot a video of this real quick for ya.
Sponsored