Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I swapped out my Mopar kit with the 3.5 Metalcloak GC yesterday. What a difference!

I gained exactly 1inch .. On the rock rails front and rear I now measure 23inches. With the Mopar I measured 22 inches front and rear with a 1inch spacer up front.

70839470_2466320070116684_5338120607731023872_o.jpg
DWheelerR, love your rig! That is a sexy stance. Did you also install a new front driveshaft at the same time the 3.5 Metalcloak GC was installed?

Sorry to revisit this thread. But I would love to see if anyone has installed the 3.5 Metalcloak GC without MC Driveshaft. And if it is OK to wait a couple of weeks before replacing the stock Driveshaft with Adam's Driveshaft after installing the 3.5 Metalcloak GC, since Adams require us to take measurement for the Yokes, we won't be able to take the measurement until MC lift is installed. Wanted to make sure we don't break anything while doing some regular street driving before we can get new front driveshaft.

Any input is greatly appreciated! 🙏

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
DWheelerR, love your rig! That is a sexy stance. Did you also install a new front driveshaft at the same time the 3.5 Metalcloak GC was installed?

Sorry to revisit this thread. But I would love to see if anyone has installed the 3.5 Metalcloak GC without MC Driveshaft. And if it is OK to wait a couple of weeks before replacing the stock Driveshaft with Adam's Driveshaft after installing the 3.5 Metalcloak GC, since Adams require us to take measurement for the Yokes, we won't be able to take the measurement until MC lift is installed. Wanted to make sure we don't break anything while doing some regular street driving before we can get new front driveshaft.

I ran on the stock driveshaft for a while with the GC. No issues from the lift. I did have some driveshaft contact with the MC skid plates I had also installed, but only at high flex. Normal driving and moderate off-road obstacles were fine.

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I ran on the stock driveshaft for a while with the GC. No issues from the lift. I did have some driveshaft contact with the MC skid plates I had also installed, but only at high flex. Normal driving and moderate off-road obstacles were fine.
THANK YOU! That makes me feel much better! We don't have skid plates installed yet. We figured that we will do that after new driveshaft is in. Thank you so much!

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase

I did replace it at the same time. You should be fine driving around on it. I wouldn't go crazy off-road though. Even My old Mopar lift was chewing up my driveshaft.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
THANK YOU! That makes me feel much better! We don't have skid plates installed yet. We figured that we will do that after new driveshaft is in. Thank you so much!
You’ll be fine on that stock DS, unless you are wheeling pretty good, then you’ll prob rip the boot. I don’t believe they ask for measurements any longer. That was more for earlier in the creation process, when Adam’s was trying to figure out proper lengths. I think you just place the order now.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
On the JL you really need to go ahead and change the DS. Know several people local that didn’t. Theirs tore up normal driving. Potholes and such. I went ahead and replaced mine with Adam’s ds when I installed the mc 3.5 GC. Very easy and not very expensive. Cheaper than mc one I think.
With JK you could get away with stock ds until the boot rips. Took mine 5-6 off road trips before it happened. Not so with the JL’s.

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You’ll be fine on that stock DS, unless you are wheeling pretty good, then you’ll prob rip the boot. I don’t believe they ask for measurements any longer. That was more for earlier in the creation process, when Adam’s was trying to figure out proper lengths. I think you just place the order now.
Adam’s just wrote back to me and said to take measurements after the lift is installed. Looks like we will have to wait to measure when we get under the Jeep to install lift, that way we can order immediately after installing MC.

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
On the JL you really need to go ahead and change the DS. Know several people local that didn’t. Theirs tore up normal driving. Potholes and such. I went ahead and replaced mine with Adam’s ds when I installed the mc 3.5 GC. Very easy and not very expensive. Cheaper than mc one I think.
With JK you could get away with stock ds until the boot rips. Took mine 5-6 off road trips before it happened. Not so with the JL’s.
Oh! Wow. Good to know! We will try and do only easy in town driving and order Adam’s immediately after installing MC. They wrote back and said we need to take measurements after installing the lift to order. Luckily, streets around us are in good shape. 😆

Sponsored

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I did replace it at the same time. You should be fine driving around on it. I wouldn't go crazy off-road though. Even My old Mopar lift was chewing up my driveshaft.
That is good to know! We asked Adam’s if we can order the 1310 now and Adam’s said to take measurements after we installed the GC lift, which made us think it would not be possible to install them at the same time. Did you get MC driveshaft or Adam’s?

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
That is good to know! We asked Adam’s if we can order the 1310 now and Adam’s said to take measurements after we installed the GC lift, which made us think it would not be possible to install them at the same time. Did you get MC driveshaft or Adam’s?
You can order one and install same time. The lift seems to affect geometry of each Jeep
Differently a bit. Best way for Adam’s to ensure their driveshafts don’t end up coming back to them. Just tell them you want to install at same time. I installed same time and the length shaft they gave me was perfect.

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You can order one and install same time. The lift seems to affect geometry of each Jeep
Differently a bit. Best way for Adam’s to ensure their driveshafts don’t end up coming back to them. Just tell them you want to install at same time. I installed same time and the length shaft they gave me was perfect.
OK, thank you. I think we will do that. I assume telling them the exact lift we are installing would give them an idea of what length shaft to give us.

erika

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon Diesel 3.0
OK, thank you. I think we will do that. I assume telling them the exact lift we are installing would give them an idea of what length shaft to give us.
im in the same boat as you, i dont know if i should order my DS with the lenght that metalcloak advertise in their website or just wait to install the lift kit and take the measurement.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Metalcloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift Install and Review 1626406328119

Last edited:

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
im in the same boat as you, i dont know if i should order my DS with the lenght that metalcloak advertise in their website or just wait to install the lift kit and take the measurement.
1626406328119.png
From our research, it appears that Adam's 1310 is good for lift up to 4.5". Since we are doing 3.5" lift, we should be good to order without measuring. Their website noted that anything more than 4.5" lift will need to have the measurements done after the lift before ordering. Hope this helps!
Sponsored