DIY Lexan doors possible?

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
Since there are no 2 piece removable door options available I was wondering about the feasibility of getting custom 2 piece doors made from 3/4" Lexan. I would trace the regular doors for a template and then have them cut and then find a good midway point to cut again into 2 pieces. I would hinge at that point to allow the top half to fold over. I'd add some weather stripping to at least be somewhat weathertight. I'd figure a way to get them to latch somehow. Their purpose would be mostly just to keep some rain out if I'm caught in a downpour. Bonus: They sell tinted Lexan!

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
Anything is possible...though 3/4" would be hard to work with. I've made plenty of windshields and panels out of Lexan, but only to about 1/8" since it's hard to form thicker stuff unless you're just doing straight panels.

I say, go for it....just remember, people may mistake you for Wonder Woman, LOL.
I would probably do straight panels and tilt it in at the hinge. If the shape is close enough some thick weather stripping should help keep out at least a light rain. At least long enough to make it home. I was thinking of using a large piece of foamboard to make a template. I guess another option would be to buy the aluminum JC offroad doors and build uppers for that. Problem with that is it cost close to $700 for the doors. Big investment for a Frankenstein project.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the clear polycarbonate idea as a skin that could be fastened to the tube doors.
Great visibility, and protection from small branches, gravel, etc. Fabricate uppers, and those downpours are not so formidable...
Sponsored