slattt

First Name
Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 1985 CJ-7
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking all over for a post about DIY headliners that actually explains it well. THANK YOUU
Sponsored

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Sector281411 Thanks for sharing. Any advise on method to template out the base shape of the headliner pieces? Or is there a template that can be purchased?

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
... the Hotheads bug me that you have to sand the top. Doesn't sound like much fun honestly...
Just Installed the HotHeads headliner. I had a ton of noico mat lying around my garage, so I made my own "sound assassin" strips. Aside from cutting the strips the entire install was less than three hours.

Easy peasy. Follow Mark's video. Wipe down with acetone. LIGHTLY sand / scuff, blow the Jeep out with compressed air, wipe down again with acetone. Stick up the headliner.

Yes, these are not cheap, but you CAN tell the quality from the fit to using radiant barrier, these really are a great product. (No, I was not given this, but I did use the holiday sale đź‘Ť)

Last edited:

Bergerboy

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
Mega Props to Sector281411 for this great idea and project plan!!
I followed this for my own hardtop, starting with the front removable panels first.
Finished and installed them last night and they look great!
Can't say for sure yet how much road noise it dampens, but the interior is much less harsh sounding and more "soft sounding" just sitting and talking at idle or in off mode.
And I expect a quieter environment during a hard rain.

I made a couple of my own modifications:
- I used double strips of the mastic deadener strips since they fit down into the troughs of the top panels.
- I used 3/4" foil backed foam board from Menards - used about 1/4th of the sheet for both removable panels. $18 for the full 4x8 sheet!
- I made great use of my bench-top belt sander to smooth the foam edges, and then to create an angle at the edges to make a better fit into the tapered insets of the panels.
- I was very nervous about the folding and tucking steps of the headliner material around the foam panels. Thought I'd have a tougher time getting the wrap-around more smooth on the back sides. But it really was a moot point, since you really can't see any of that ugliness from the show side, and the edges still look crisp and smooth. (No one will ever know!)
The whole operation went quicker and smoother than I was expecting.
I'll probably wait for the spring to remove the main top and complete the headliners for the rear areas. It will be much easier to do with the top off and flipped over.
Thanks again for the great sharing of ideas on this Forum!!

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093702

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093654

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093649

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093640

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093602

WeChat Image_20211202093707.jpg

Sponsored

Kilroy1941

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Mega Props to Sector281411 for this great idea and project plan!!
I followed this for my own hardtop, starting with the front removable panels first.
Finished and installed them last night and they look great!
Can't say for sure yet how much road noise it dampens, but the interior is much less harsh sounding and more "soft sounding" just sitting and talking at idle or in off mode.
And I expect a quieter environment during a hard rain.

I made a couple of my own modifications:
- I used double strips of the mastic deadener strips since they fit down into the troughs of the top panels.
- I used 3/4" foil backed foam board from Menards - used about 1/4th of the sheet for both removable panels. $18 for the full 4x8 sheet!
- I made great use of my bench-top belt sander to smooth the foam edges, and then to create an angle at the edges to make a better fit into the tapered insets of the panels.
- I was very nervous about the folding and tucking steps of the headliner material around the foam panels. Thought I'd have a tougher time getting the wrap-around more smooth on the back sides. But it really was a moot point, since you really can't see any of that ugliness from the show side, and the edges still look crisp and smooth. (No one will ever know!)
The whole operation went quicker and smoother than I was expecting.
I'll probably wait for the spring to remove the main top and complete the headliners for the rear areas. It will be much easier to do with the top off and flipped over.
Thanks again for the great sharing of ideas on this Forum!!

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093707

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Headliner and DIY Sound Murderers - Under $100 WeChat Image_20211202093707

Any noticeable difference in cabin temperature? Living in frigid winter county I am looking to do this to my JT if it helps with keeping heat in

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
great job but is that the TARDIS in your garage?!

Bergerboy

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
Any noticeable difference in cabin temperature? Living in frigid winter county I am looking to do this to my JT if it helps with keeping heat in
Hasn't been all that cold yet here in Michigan.
But I will say that it just "seems" warmer and quieter. The soft material above your head gives a "cozier" environment feel.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
I plan on redoing the ones I already did with a different adhesive that brushes on to make the folds of the headliner fabric cleaner and give me a little more working time. I am going to start making the templates for the rest of the top once all this rain goes away.
I used black neoprene fabric (I think is 1/8-inch thick), found it by luck in a fabric store to cover 1/4-inch insulation board, used Sound Deadener Heat Insulation mat on the very top, as well as sound/heat deadener strips that I cut from the mat, in the roof channels, it definitely helps with heat and cold and I think it absorbs some of the sound too. Very happy how they turned out.
I measured the heat on the roof of the Jeep at a sunny 85 degree weather in California and the top was a balmy 165 degrees!! and in the inside it was 152 degrees!! right on top of your head.

Last edited:

Bergerboy

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
Summer Update:
Finished all the rear panels in May, but having trouble keeping them stuck to the roof!
Seems the solar heat on the black top doesn't agree with the adhesives.
Tried several different alternatives, including the industrial velcro (hook & hook), 3M contact spray adhesive, etc.
Seems they seems to want to sag under their own (very light) weight after sitting in the sun.
Anyone have any better options??

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I plan on redoing the ones I already did with a different adhesive that brushes on to make the folds of the headliner fabric cleaner and give me a little more working time. I am going to start making the templates for the rest of the top once all this rain goes away.
How have your DIY headliners worked long term? Has the Velcro held them securely over time?

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Anybody know how many yards of fabric is needed for the top & freedom panels? Ball Park? Wanting to start this asap.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Definitely subscribed for any updates, like how well they remain sticking up there without falling down. Aside from the obvious and insane cost, the Hotheads bug me that you have to sand the top. Doesn't sound like much fun honestly...
You really don’t need to sand the top for install. I just cleaned the surface with alcohol wipes and the install was super easy. No problems at all. They were one of the first things I did 3 years ago. 2019 JLR Hotheads are a great product.
Sponsored