DIY hardtop liner?

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Sorry for posting what has no doubt been discussed a million times before (although I can't find much for the JL's - mostly JKs and prior models), but I'm thinking about a DIY hardtop headliner insulation project. I'm sure that the pre-made kits out there are fantastic, but from what I've priced, I can't justify spending $500-600 for a full interior insulation kit for my JLUR plus the rear windows and sound deadening. From the limited research I've done online, a 4x8' sheet of 1" R5 insulation board, some velcro or headliner glue/adhesive and then a little bit of headliner vinyl/carpet or fabric, makes a pretty good headliner substitute for $100 or less. I have to say that the heat doesn't bother me too much, but with summer just getting started, I can imagine that the black hardtop with freedom panels is going to get toasty anytime I park outside, by August. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but does anyone have any experience with something similar or some tips for a total newbie? Thanks in advance, stay well!
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Evan:

Before you get started, set reasonable expectations on any headliner's ability to control noise. It's not where the professionally made ones at least "cut their teeth," heat resistance being first and foremost.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a thread on mine, haven't got around to doing the back, but just the freedom panel set works awesome for cutting down on wind noise as that's where most of it initiates. My set is much thicker (about 3x thicker) than anything on sale from vendors so that's expected.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-freedom-panel-insulation.39709/
that looks great - thanks for sharing!! I’m still at the drawing board phase but you’ve given me some great ideas....

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I did mine last weekend. Going to redo the front ones just to get a better fit .
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY hardtop liner? 8A1AADDA-6829-414E-931C-8A450CA18A5B

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to see someone successfully do headliners with a product like this, large 3M command strips:

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Pict...3m+command+strips+17209&qid=1590668436&sr=8-1

This would allow a permanent but removable headliner installation. This is in no way to disparage Brad's @blnewt's fine work, or that his use of industrial mounting tape isn't cleanly removable with albeit more elbow grease. Maybe, given their horizontal install, industrial mounting tape is necessary.

It's just that it's entirely possible your loved Wrangler may someday be someone else's when you sell it and upgrade, and the new owner's tastes for headliners may differ from yours.

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did mine last weekend. Going to redo the front ones just to get a better fit .
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY hardtop liner? 8A1AADDA-6829-414E-931C-8A450CA18A5B
That looks awesome!! I have a ton of questions - did you use an insulation board or go the sound matting route? What sort of wrapping did you use? Adhesive? Nice work!!

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Sure, i used the 1/2" foam board from Lowes . Headliner fabric with the foam backing and 3m spray adhesive. I just made the boards and attached them to the hardtop with double sided 3m tape. it is still removable if you want it to be.

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to see someone successfully do headliners with a product like this, large 3M command strips:

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Pict...3m+command+strips+17209&qid=1590668436&sr=8-1

This would allow a permanent but removable headliner installation. This is in no way to disparage Brad's @blnewt's fine work, or that his use of industrial mounting tape isn't cleanly removable with albeit more elbow grease. Maybe, given their horizontal install, industrial mounting tape is necessary.

It's just that it's entirely possible your loved Wrangler may someday be someone else's when you sell it and upgrade, and the new owner's tastes for headliners may differ from yours.
I have thought about resale - my intention is to hang on to this vehicle like 10+ years and keep upgrading as time goes on (maybe even give it to one of my daughters when they’re of driving age), so I’m not super worried about residue, etc., but that was a thought for sure

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, i used the 1/2" foam board from Lowes . Headliner fabric with the foam backing and 3m spray adhesive. I just made the boards and attached them to the hardtop with double sided 3m tape. it is still removable if you want it to be.
Awesome! How has the noise and heat/cooling insulation changed? I can’t imagine that it didn’t have a huge impact...

Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
its not HUGE but its definitely noticeable. quieter on the hwy for sure.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Luckily that 3m mounting tape isn't hard to remove, and just a bit off goo-gone if you get a bit that wants to put up a fight :)

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its not HUGE but its definitely noticeable. quieter on the hwy for sure.
That’s awesome to hear - I am leaning towards the 1” r5 insulation board from the hardware store and then cutting to fit (from the templates), wrapping it in headliner material and then sticking it to the panels/hard top. I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on this - thanks for the encouragement - wish me luck!!

Den_JL2DR

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SportS 2DR 6 Cyl Hardtop
I've been making/testing a headliner project with canvas over two layers of reflective foam, testing temps at stages. Will have pics and data complete this weekend to write up. The temps are high in AZ to keep taping it up each night to have something in place, to gather test figures. Also tried aerogel superinsulation but not needed. Found low cost flexible solution. They are form fitted with stitching to extend out to edges of the front hardtop panels and featherweight. Can share from 100-107 degrees this week that, if in that part of the country, and black hardtop, the inside hardtop panel temperature can reach 150 degrees at 107 outside ambient, on the lower flat portion of the panel where tape is usually added, and fifteen degrees higher in the inside slots where sound proofing tape is usually added, to give a plug for using acrylic based adhesive tapes that have higher operating temp. This 3M hook and loop tape, like Velcro but stronger, is rated to 200 degrees F. In a month when temps can reach 120 outside, this increases that inside panel temp and with vibration to soften and stress tape adhesives.
Sanding the surface of the hardtop panels lightly and alcohol clean before installation is helpful.
3M Dual Lock TB3550 Tape on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been making/testing a headliner project with canvas over two layers of reflective foam, testing temps at stages. Will have pics and data complete this weekend to write up. The temps are high in AZ to keep taping it up each night to have something in place, to gather test figures. Also tried aerogel superinsulation but not needed. Found low cost flexible solution. They are form fitted with stitching to extend out to edges of the front hardtop panels and featherweight. Can share from 100-107 degrees this week that, if in that part of the country, and black hardtop, the inside hardtop panel temperature can reach 150 degrees at 107 outside ambient, on the lower flat portion of the panel where tape is usually added, and fifteen degrees higher in the inside slots where sound proofing tape is usually added, to give a plug for using acrylic based adhesive tapes that have higher operating temp. This 3M hook and loop tape, like Velcro but stronger, is rated to 200 degrees F. In a month when temps can reach 120 outside, this increases that inside panel temp and with vibration to soften and stress tape adhesives.
Sanding the surface of the hardtop panels lightly and alcohol clean before installation is helpful.
3M Dual Lock TB3550 Tape on Amazon
Very cool - sounds like a great project and I can’t wait to see the results!! Do you have any photos?? Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored