Vehicle Showcase

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I installed a Racor lift for my hardtop. I used Topsy products attachments and gear drive reinforcements. I had to add shackles to extend the straps to make up the distance for the Pioneer rack.
Added reinforcements to the roof to hold the extra weight.
Works like a champ.
Can you clarify/show what you meant by “Added reinforcements to the roof to hold the extra weight.”

JanetsJLU

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Here’s our simple setup using a rear spreader bar ( 2x4 with eye bolts ) and small Straps.

CDFFE689-6AD6-4B21-B69F-E5DDCDA2A0B7.jpeg

actionplus

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I've gone ahead and added the mounting points to the garage ceiling. Am currently running some load test on each point which is attached with a husky ratcheting strap.

Is there a way to lower the hardtop/load in a gentle manner? From what I've been trying. It's not as ratcheting it up. As I click on the release, it pretty much drops fast and depends on how fast I release the lever.

All the video I've seen shows the raising but does not show the lowering. Any trick to this?

Thanks

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I've gone ahead and added the mounting points to the garage ceiling. Am currently running some load test on each point which is attached with a husky ratcheting strap.

Is there a way to lower the hardtop/load in a gentle manner? From what I've been trying. It's not as ratcheting it up. As I click on the release, it pretty much drops fast and depends on how fast I release the lever.

All the video I've seen shows the raising but does not show the lowering. Any trick to this?

Thanks
That's one of the reasons I never went with that low tech method.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks
When I first set this up I went with 1” cambuckle straps. Much easier to lower at a speed based on your liking. I used the Topsy package with two hooks on rear and single strap under front section and then hooked straps to them to ceiling. Works well, one hand on strap pulling and one hand on top per corner. Same lower, each corner one at a time. I have since switched to a Toplift Pro :like:
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Hardtop hoist ideas - brainstorming C40D7A9B-E1F6-4D95-A6CD-CFE3F0F30CB9

Zas

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0 2018 gray
Occupation
Near Moscow
How I made the equipment for removing the roof.
1. I bought a TALFER for 250 kg (through the block). 156 USD
2. Bought chains - 25 USD
3. I bought a Poland roof for GL - 28 USD
4. Transverse metal profile - 10 USD
5. Сarabiners for workers - 20 USD
6. Help from my son and 7 hours of work.
Watch the video. Thank you.
REMOVE HARD TOP VIDEO

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
How I made the equipment for removing the roof.
1. I bought a TALFER for 250 kg (through the block). 156 USD
2. Bought chains - 25 USD
3. I bought a Poland roof for GL - 28 USD
4. Transverse metal profile - 10 USD
5. Сarabiners for workers - 20 USD
6. Help from my son and 7 hours of work.
Watch the video. Thank you.
REMOVE HARD TOP VIDEO
I have the same hoist! Still have to install! Great video. Might I suggest you open your back doors to avoid chipping the paint on your hard top/doors.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Reading through all of this just makes it more evident Jeep needs removal lift points from the factory to connect straps, cables, rope, chains, etc. to the hard top for easier removal.

Or, they need a modular hard top that the glass can be easily removed, and is in smaller segments so one person can remove it in pieces. The hard top is a pain in the ass for removal, especially if you Jeep is lifted on larger tires and the people trying to remove it are vertically challenged.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks, but Jeep really needs a factory solution.
I've been using these (red version) for over 2 years and it works awesome. My neighbor has a JEEP and every time he takes his top off it seems like so much work. I just unbolt, back into the garage, and 5 min later I'm out.

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I may just go this route:
The first time I took mine off I used the ratchet straps, and it was a pain in the butt, especially
trying to keep the thing level without a ton of space in my garage. I had to keep running around the jeep and when I put it back on it was tough to maneuver due to the weight and trying to slowly release the straps.

I also planned to build a custom hoist option, bought a little crank winch and mounted some pulleys to the wall. After working with the steel cable for a bit I wasn't able to mount things where I wanted to make it work right.

The Recor Lift with the topsy bracket just works though and I could have saved a couple bucks if I went that way to start.

ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you have the top sitting on a 2x4 before you pull away you will have to lift very high in order for the spare tire to clear under the 2x4. I switched to the Topsy hooks and now I only have to lift a couple of inches before driving the Jeep out from under the hanging roof.
Edit - should have mentioned to lift the window before driving out from under the roof.
Sponsored

Last edited: