Sponsored

DIY Hardtop hoist ideas - brainstorming

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible
Does someone have the overall height of the removed hardtop available? I am planning to install a hoist configuration in my garage once I get the JL. I see from the photos that the open glass on the back adds a few inches to the overall suspended hard top height. Thanks.
I copied these from a different thread

DDBD5DD8-C0E9-4CF9-B1CF-EADF99392103.jpeg

8CBFF9FD-4B61-499B-943C-C669EBE9BC0F.jpeg
Sponsored

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible
Not sure what your intentions are with these but if its to hoist the Hardtop off the Jeep VIA these mounts fastened to the rain gutter , I have no doubt that these mounts will hold the weight of the top

What I do DOUBT is the rain gutter supporting the weight of the hardtop ! . Its just a diverter for water to run off of the Jeep ( Trim piece basically )

Luggage racks that fasten to rain gutters dont have a large load capacity

I hope this helps
Thanks for your input. I will be careful testing it the first time. I have all the parts on order and the Jeep is expected in three weeks. Hopefully I will not damage the hardtop :)

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input. I will be careful testing it the first time. I have all the parts on order and the Jeep is expected in three weeks. Hopefully I will not damage the hardtop :)
Please throw some pic's when you get this up off the Jeep

Interested = Thanks

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
All DIY's be extremely careful that the hard top does not flex, when lifting it. Because the hinges, on either side, are attached to glass. Glass doesn't flex! It shatters.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No...

1. I called 2 dealers, asked sales, service and parts, they don't know.

2. I looked at https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hardtop-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door, no weight is given in the description, specs, etc. I called their 800 number, they don't know either. They said it is in pre-order status and when they do get the weight, it will include the wooden box it is shipped in, so that wouldn't be the right weight.

3. I used the contact us / chat system at www.jeep.com earlier today. They first told me that the weight for the 4 door hardtop is at http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18666&mid=52 and to click on Specifications in the right hand column.... Aaaaannnnkkkk. Wrong. It isn't there either. They sent me on a wild goose chase. So they are now escalating the question and "will get back with you in 3 to 5 business days". I'll post the info here if I get it. But there is a lot of other great detailed info at the link above, just not the weight of the hardtop.

4. Check out (0:39 second video) where a guy is weighing the JK hardtop. 140lbs with a roof rack and without the freedom panels, 180lbs with the freedom panels. He said without the roof rack, the JK hardtop is 130lbs. Supposedly the JL hardtop roof is a little bit lighter, but I want to confirm that (see #3 above).

Good news... I went to the dealership this morning and took measurements for the 4 door hard top and posted it here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-hardtop-measurements.5705/

If this was Monday night football, this would be a "Common Man!" moment. Can't believe the weight for the JL hardtop is so illusive.
I just spoke to My Guy in Parts at Jeep dealership about getting the accurate weight for these hardtops and this is what I have for now . The JK 4 door hard top is heavier than the JL hardtop and it weighs 95lbs + the 2 freedom panels at 22lbs each

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just spoke to My Guy in Parts at Jeep dealership about getting the accurate weight for these hardtops and this is what I have for now . The JK 4 door hard top is heavier than the JL hardtop and it weighs 95lbs + the 2 freedom panels at 22lbs each
I just called another dealer at 4:22pm today. He said the 2018 4 door JK is 111lbs. When I asked him with our without the 2 freedom panels, he said "it doesn't say". Arrgh. And the guy in the video has yet a different weight on the JK. I called another dealer at 4:32pm today, they said 300lbs. Obviously that's with the shipping crate. Crazy.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just called another dealer at 4:22pm today. He said the 2018 4 door JK is 111lbs. When I asked him with our without the 2 freedom panels, he said "it doesn't say". Arrgh. And the guy in the video has yet a different weight on the JK. I called another dealer at 4:32pm today, they said 300lbs. Obviously that's with the shipping crate. Crazy.
Still a mystery then

they dont want us to know !!! lol

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We need a weight lifter to A) pick up a JL 4 door top by themselves B) Step on a scale, note weight C) put JL top down D) step on scale, note weight. Subtract D from B.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We need a weight lifter to A) pick up a JL 4 door top by themselves B) Step on a scale, note weight C) put JL top down D) step on scale, note weight. Subtract D from B.
Or go to a land fill and drive on there scale with top on to get weighed and then return with top off ...then just do the math

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Or go to a land fill and drive on there scale with top on to get weighed and then return with top off ...then just do the math
Good idea. Mine is still being built, so I can't do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've weighed the hard top...it is 100 lbs without freedom panels.
Thank you! Is it the 4 door JL hardtop? Out of curiosity, how did you weigh it? Again, thank you very much.

Element32d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yes 4 door unpainted if that matters. While it was on the ground I crawled underneath it, lifted up with my back and crawled my way on my knees onto a scale I put underneath it. It was very awkward but I needed to know the weight for my garage hoist I'm building.
Sponsored