JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
What about putting straps around a roof rack https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl and raise it up with either an electric or manual hoist? Would the roof rack connection be strong enough to hold the weight of the hard top?
Thought about this method also but then I would have a rack on top of my jeep which I dont want . The mounting brackets to the rack are what would hold the hardtop so why the cross members ? " unless your gong to haul stuff on it " .

Thats why I came up with the cleats that fold down and are attached between the grooves of the top so you cant see them ....same theory - same load capacity - just not visible
Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I screwed in 4 eye bolts into the rafters and purchased 4 ratchet straps. The whole set up was under $30 and it has been holding up a 4 door hard top every summer for the past 6 years. I have not had any problems.
Thanks for this...i was wondering if it was really necessary to be over complicated.
I'm going to take mine off in the spring, leave it hanging until fall and then put it back on.
I went and bought two ratchet straps yesterday and 4 eyelets.
Do you think it's necessary to hook on each corner? I planned on doing it like this picture running one ratchet front to back, but no pulleys.

Screenshot_20180325-091117.jpg

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have researched this over and over and posted this idea in another thread . Basically because Im seeing these home made and store bought hoist dealing with way to many steps ( rubber coated hooks / ratchet straps / through bolts with wing nuts / tie downs - etc )

So this is what Im going to do ! it will involve 2 pulley's / 1/2" nylon rope and either an electric winch or hand crank . You just back in - flip up the cleats - hook your tether to each cleat - crank it up and drive out

The cleats are 1/2" high when closed and I can powder coat so they match the top . I stopped by ( cap world ) in my area and they will work up a decorative cap to fit over nuts & washers on the inside .

Same load capacity as my Thule truck rack and same method to install

Capt.JPG

Captur.JPG
I like the idea. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't already had this is a factory feature. Do you think the weight of the hardtop would eventually rip the fiberglass where the screws are? I have a boat and the cleat ripped out of the fiberglass when another boat went by and caused a minor wave. Of course a boat weights a lot more, but it was hardly any pressure at all. But still a possibility? And what about leaks?

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for this...i was wondering if it was really necessary to be over complicated.
I'm going to take mine off in the spring, leave it hanging until fall and then put it back on.
I went and bought two ratchet straps yesterday and 4 eyelets.
Do you think it's necessary to hook on each corner? I planned on doing it like this picture running one ratchet front to back, but no pulleys.

Screenshot_20180325-091117.jpg
I'd think hooks on each corner would evenly distribute the weight for the sake of both the hardtop and the rafters. Also, it should keep it from spinning around.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thought about this method also but then I would have a rack on top of my jeep which I dont want . The mounting brackets to the rack are what would hold the hardtop so why the cross members ? " unless your gong to haul stuff on it " .

Thats why I came up with the cleats that fold down and are attached between the grooves of the top so you cant see them ....same theory - same load capacity - just not visible
I do plan on putting a Thule cargo case on it often so I would need the roof rack anyway. Do you think the roof rack connection to the hardtop would hold the weight without falling off? I'd image they are designed for down pressure, not pull pressure going up.

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I'd think hooks on each corner would evenly distribute the weight for the sake of both the hardtop and the rafters. Also, it should keep it from spinning around.
If I'm using 4 eyelets, it won't spin though. I'm simply talking about using 2 ratchets instead of 4.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't already had this is a factory feature. Do you think the weight of the hardtop would eventually rip the fiberglass where the screws are? I have a boat and the cleat ripped out of the fiberglass when another boat went by and caused a minor wave. Of course a boat weights a lot more, but it was hardly any pressure at all. But still a possibility? And what about leaks?
Same bolts and nuts on the Thule rack as the cleats - Thule rack rated load capacity of 300lbs ---Im confident as long as its not swinging around to add stress to it

Its how you fasten it from the inside is whats going to make it secure ( peace of mind )

And yes I agree with why Jeep hasn't incorporated something in there hard tops to lift them off

No Leaks in the past 7 years with my cap rack - its come with a think rubber gasket for both top and inside and a long flat washer with nylon locknuts

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Same bolts and nuts on the Thule rack as the cleats - Thule rack rated load capacity of 300lbs ---Im confident as long as its not swinging around to add stress to it

Its how you fasten it from the inside is whats going to make it secure ( peace of mind )

And yes I agree with why Jeep hasn't incorporated something in there hard tops to lift them off

No Leaks in the past 7 years with my cap rack - its come with a think rubber gasket for both top and inside and a long flat washer with nylon locknuts
I thought the Mopar roof rack just clipped onto small rain gutter lip area and didn't require holes to be drilled? Here is the link to it: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl It does say "removable" but that doesn't mean that there are base pieces requiring to drill holes still on the roof when you remove the bars. I don't see any instructions within their listing.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the Mopar roof rack just clipped onto small rain gutter lip area and didn't require holes to be drilled? Here is the link to it: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl It does say "removable" but that doesn't mean that there are base pieces requiring to drill holes still on the roof when you remove the bars. I don't see any instructions within their listing.
I wouldnt rely on the rain gutters to hold your top up

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
For those of you with a winch on your Jeep, have you considered using it with some pulleys to lift your own top off? Instead of buying a separate electric hoist system.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Here is what I did, man. Worked awesome for 3 years until I sold the JK.

ATV winch, DIY Cables with eyes, and some pulley's. Winch controller runs off a 12 volt battery, which I just used my jump box. I mounted it at the exact distance from the garage door to park the JK under it and it takes up no more room than if I just parked the JK in the garage with the top on. Then If I need it out of the way, I could lower the winch onto my cart and wheel it around. Total to do this was under $110 bucks. No issues with rafters and bolts pulling through. Nothing like that.

It also served many other purposes! It held as much as 400 pounds with zero problems. Included a few pics of working on bikes for reference.

upload_2018-3-23_9-35-19.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-35-30.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-35-56.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-4.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-10.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-16.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-22.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-28.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-36-39.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-37-36.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-37-59.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-38-42.png

upload_2018-3-23_9-39-6.png
Not crazy about your lift but respect your tool kits!

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wouldnt rely on the rain gutters to hold your top up
Agreed, but I don't know if it requires holes to be drilled or if it clips to the rain gutters. I wish they had the install manual online. I sent them a request for the instructions in PDF format so I can find out.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, but I don't know if it requires holes to be drilled or if it clips to the rain gutters. I wish they had the install manual online. I sent them a request for the instructions in PDF format so I can find out.
They do not require drilling holes but I would never support the hardtop with this

Capture.,.,.,.JPG

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They do not require drilling holes but I would never support the hardtop with this

Capture.,.,.,.JPG
Does the cleat idea require holes to be drilled into the hardtop?

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the cleat idea require holes to be drilled into the hardtop?
Yes and I use full length rubber seals inside and out

The inside will have the rubber seal with the same size flat metal plate to even out the weight distribution and then I am having a nice clean cap made to fit over the nylon nuts and seal so it looks nice on the inside
Sponsored