Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my printable DIY Instructions for building your own Hard Top Cart based off of @Texas_Yote 's build and an updated Door Holder Cart based off an outdated "Instructables.com" build. Basically $165 Total for both carts! You save money and have your own touch on it! I was about to drop $200+ on a hardtop cart alone until I found Yote's thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-cart.6581/#post-150265

To update the door holder I’d do 3.5” sections and 7” sections to give your doors a bit more room to fit into. It’s a bit of a squeeze with 2.5” and 6” sections.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
QQ, as I hope to build both items this weekend. Why the double stack 2x4" 15" sections in back? With 2 of them stacked, does that make the hardtop sit vertical on the cart?

Also why is there a space between them?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Lurvis33

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
QQ, as I hope to build both items this weekend. Why the double stack 2x4" 15" sections in back? With 2 of them stacked, does that make the hardtop sit vertical on the cart?

Also why is there a space between them?

Thanks!
It’s so the top sits vertically with a slight slant. There’s the middle piece to help support the wiper blade on the windshield.
The picture is from Yote’s thread.

48EFF0DD-3519-461D-BE8A-91C8C1AB2161.jpeg

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Just finished up the Door Holder Cart build!
Ended up only using 4 Foam Insulators instead of the five I bought. Also used Eight 24” Outdoor Zipties to secure the holder to the furniture dolly.

013F23AF-0C40-4B07-A7B2-E9021E98FDEC.jpeg

90043384-650E-4418-BD8E-2C9D97349907.jpeg

B6DBE3CC-BAC3-40FE-ABC5-0170B26441A2.jpeg
Looks great. Your spacing still the same as the PDF? I made my shopping list for both projects, spring finally comes tomorrow to Michigan. I was surprised how many parts I had in the house, really just need the pipe parts and carpet.

Thanks for the reply on the double 2x4s too.

For the Door cart I was going to see if there can be some sort of pipe clamp to attach to the dolly; but zip ties looks like a fine alternative too. Also I think I am going to add a 1x4 in the middle of dolly for support too. I think I have the same dolly you used, Harbor Freight special?

Thanks for posting all this information. If mine looks 1/2 as good, I'll post pictures too.

OP
OP
Lurvis33

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. Your spacing still the same as the PDF? I made my shopping list for both projects, spring finally comes tomorrow to Michigan. I was surprised how many parts I had in the house, really just need the pipe parts and carpet.

Thanks for the reply on the double 2x4s too.

For the Door cart I was going to see if there can be some sort of pipe clamp to attach to the dolly; but zip ties looks like a fine alternative too. Also I think I am going to add a 1x4 in the middle of dolly for support too. I think I have the same dolly you used, Harbor Freight special?

Thanks for posting all this information. If mine looks 1/2 as good, I'll post pictures too.
It was a Milwaukee furniture dolly from Lowe’s. My build plan is the updated version of the link at the bottom of the pdf. I used his photos which was before he cut them down to even shorter lengths. It also looks like he has a 1x4 in there as well and I think I’ll pick one up tomorrow! Now I just need my dang Jeep to get here.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write-up! Do you know if this will easily fit in the trunk area of the JL? I need to build two for me and the wife, but it would be nice to be able to take it with us when we go offroading!

OP
OP
Lurvis33

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write-up! Do you know if this will easily fit in the trunk area of the JL? I need to build two for me and the wife, but it would be nice to be able to take it with us when we go offroading!
I feel like you should be able to. I didn’t seal the Tjoints with the vertical pillars for the exact purpose that you could pull them up and out and save some space in the trunk.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Well thanks to the awesome plans posted here, I was able to put these together today. My total was $124, I already had the wood, the dolly, and the PVC cutter. Now if I just had my Jeep to try them out. :)

I noticed I was running low on orange tape so I strategically changed to black for the bottom pieces. Everything is Glued.

The Hard-top cart is all 2x4s, How'd I do?

IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lurvis33

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well thanks to the awesome plans posted here, I was able to put these together today. My total was $124, I already had the wood, the dolly, and the PVC cutter. Now if I just had my Jeep to try them out. :)

I noticed I was running low on orange tape so I strategically changed to black for the bottom pieces. Everything is Glued.

The Hard-top cart is all 2x4s, How'd I do?

IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
You flew by me! Looks great! Completely forgot today was a scattered thunderstorms day so I haven’t finished the hardtop cart yet. Still sitting JB status but I did order a JTopsUSA shade cover today.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Today was our first day of spring, worth being outside. Upper 50s, low 60s, its about time. Supposedly my jeep is in transport, could be any day.

OP
OP
Lurvis33

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Today was our first day of spring, worth being outside. Upper 50s, low 60s, its about time. Supposedly my jeep is in transport, could be any day.
That's what kills me, we've had several topless worthy Spring days already!

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
Here's my printable DIY Instructions for building your own Hard Top Cart based off of @Texas_Yote 's build and an updated Door Holder Cart based off an outdated "Instructables.com" build. Basically $165 Total for both carts! You save money and have your own touch on it! I was about to drop $200+ on a hardtop cart alone until I found Yote's thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-cart.6581/#post-150265
Thank you so much for this! I made the door cart today. Got a little happy with the electrical tape! LOL. The foam was pretty fragile though so I wrapped the whole thing in it. P.S. Harbour freight had pvc cutters on sale today for 5 bucks and dolly for 10! Got everything for 65 bucks... and 10 more for all the tape LOL

479DF5C6-C331-40E3-91A1-2510066BEB15.jpeg

4271B54E-1194-417A-AE03-9716550B0B34.jpeg