Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
You make this look way easier than it was for me. After I cracked it I had to work my way up in size through flathead screwdrivers to pry it off. I also found out on my first one it had been cracked, so I gouged up the carrier a bit continuing to hit it thinking it wasn't cracked. I was expecting it to slide off as easy as you make it look!
Guess that's why you're the man, and I'm just some random guy!
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You make this look way easier than it was for me. After I cracked it I had to work my way up in size through flathead screwdrivers to pry it off. I also found out on my first one it had been cracked, so I gouged up the carrier a bit continuing to hit it thinking it wasn't cracked. I was expecting it to slide off as easy as you make it look!
Guess that's why you're the man, and I'm just some random guy!
No worries at all. You accomplished what needed done. Just takes a little practice is all.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
What’s the best way to get the pinion out without damaging the threads? I’m thinking ahead in case I need to make a shim adjustment. My drift+hammer idea didn’t work for the removal of the old pinion, I had to wack it directly.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
What’s the best way to get the pinion out without damaging the threads? I’m thinking ahead in case I need to make a shim adjustment. My drift+hammer idea didn’t work for the removal of the old pinion, I had to wack it directly.
You have to use a drift or punch and place it in the recess in the center of the pinion. Then hit it hard. It’ll come out. If you want more surface area, use a piece of wood to get it moving and then use the punch.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 0AA6C75B-0981-42B4-BD90-F5C755242D97

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 58CDF5B7-6EAB-43F2-A161-141C7E63B70F

Got enough light in there to read a pattern. Not sure what’s up with that top tooth on the drive side photo. I might try again tomorrow with something better to drag on the ring gear.
Pinion preload is 20 in-lbs
Total torque to rotate is 28 or 29 in-lbs
Backlash is 4-5 thousandths
I feel like I need to drop some pinion shim. I really don’t want to pound it out though, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
0AA6C75B-0981-42B4-BD90-F5C755242D97.jpeg

58CDF5B7-6EAB-43F2-A161-141C7E63B70F.jpeg

Got enough light in there to read a pattern. Not sure what’s up with that top tooth on the drive side photo. I might try again tomorrow with something better to drag on the ring gear.
Pinion preload is 20 in-lbs
Total torque to rotate is 28 or 29 in-lbs
Backlash is 4-5 thousandths
I feel like I need to drop some pinion shim. I really don’t want to pound it out though, lol.
That Prussian Blue can be a huge pain to read correctly. It doesn’t look bad though. Best thing to do with the Prussian Blue is to read the teeth shortly after where you laid it on thick. I do this with the standard marking compound, too, as a sanity check.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 IMG_1127.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 IMG_1128.JPG

Fresh photos. For kicks, here's the head bearing race that came out with under 200 miles. Good job Yukon:
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 IMG_1130.JPG

I have a large clunk on rotation. I think I have a bad tooth on the ring, as that pattern brought out last night. @chevymitchell , is that a reasonable conclusion?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 IMG_1130.JPG

Fresh photos. For kicks, here's the head bearing race that came out with under 200 miles. Good job Yukon:

I have a large clunk on rotation. I think I have a bad tooth on the ring, as that pattern brought out last night. @chevymitchell , is that a reasonable conclusion?
The pattern you have there looks fine to me.

If there is any noise or tightness with the ring gear truly flush on the carrier, it's possible you have a material defect. The last person I helped had this happen to them, however, his fix was a new pinion head bearing as his was bad out of the box. (Bad bearing cage)

If you have any noise, you'll have to inspect everything. If you suspect the ring (super rare they're bad, but it does happen), then call the R&P MFG before disassembly in case they want specific pics or videos. This way you can get new parts with no issues.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
The pattern you have there looks fine to me.

If there is any noise or tightness with the ring gear truly flush on the carrier, it's possible you have a material defect. The last person I helped had this happen to them, however, his fix was a new pinion head bearing as his was bad out of the box. (Bad bearing cage)

If you have any noise, you'll have to inspect everything. If you suspect the ring (super rare they're bad, but it does happen), then call the R&P MFG before disassembly in case they want specific pics or videos. This way you can get new parts with no issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 Bad Gear

Here's what I'm seeing. It's a rhythmic clunk that follows the rotation speed when I put a drill on the pinion.
I'll contact Dana, do you happen to know which of their sites is meant for end-users? Is it this site:
https://global.dana.com/commercial-...section/north-america-customer-support/na-faq

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Video's - Rubicon 5.13 Bad Gear

Here's what I'm seeing. It's a rhythmic clunk that follows the rotation speed when I put a drill on the pinion.
I'll contact Dana, do you happen to know which of their sites is meant for end-users? Is it this site:
https://global.dana.com/commercial-...section/north-america-customer-support/na-faq
Hmm… that is odd. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced that.

Not sure what their contact is. They don’t normally provide any support for commercial axles for the light vehicle sector. They rely on their dealers and distributors to handle a lot of that. May want to ask the place you bought the gears from for a number.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Ok, shop I bought it from says I need to remove the ring gear, file it, and heat it in the oven to about 200 and re-install to see if that fixes the clunk. Since they're the ones I'd have to process a return/claim through, I have to figure it out.
Any way to remove the small carrier bearing without damaging it? I can't fit my rented bearing puller between the locker and the inner race. I was able to yesterday when I forgot to install the locker, but now there's no room.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ok, shop I bought it from says I need to remove the ring gear, file it, and heat it in the oven to about 200 and re-install to see if that fixes the clunk. Since they're the ones I'd have to process a return/claim through, I have to figure it out.
Any way to remove the small carrier bearing without damaging it? I can't fit my rented bearing puller between the locker and the inner race. I was able to yesterday when I forgot to install the locker, but now there's no room.
I’ve never heard of filing and putting it in the oven at 200…

200 degrees isn’t going to do anything to a hammer forged piece of metal that thick.

No way to remove the bearing without damaging it that I have found. I haven’t tried all of the removal tools out there, but the most common ones don’t work.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Ok, thanks. I'll have to decide if I'm going to gamble on another install kit, or just do a new ring/pinion at the same time.

Ncsteve83

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Good morning,

It won't be "Live" in the sense I have a camera set up in here, but I will be doing a set of Rubicon 5.13 gears next weekend where I'm opening up my time to answer questions as I do the work. This will hopefully motivate more people to do their own gears as it's not a difficult job, but can be troublesome if not done correctly.

If you're curious about any step of the process, please ask questions here. I will update this OP with all questions received and provide answers, pictures, and short videos as I do the work.

I'm working on a set of JK gears right now, otherwise I'd be doing this today. I figured this will allow some time to put some good Q&A together for those curious, intrigued by the process, and those who are on the edge of taking on this task themselves.

Thank you.

1. How important is setting backlash within spec?
  2. What backlash spec/tolerance do you aim for to ensure gears don't whine and last a long time?
  3. Do you use the Yukon Clamshell puller?
  4. What are the most common mistakes made when doing a gear swap?
  5. What special tools are needed that the average (or advanced) DIY’er doesn’t already own?
  6. How to do a gear and axle swap (better components), while minimizing warranty impacts.
  7. I have heard the factory lockers in JLs can be tricky to setup when swapping gears and easy to screw up apparently. Any clear guidance on what to watch for and how to avoid any issues would be helpful?
I was sent to you from over on the gladiator forum when I asked about a regear for my gladiator. I live right outside Charlotte, and have gotten some quotes that seem rather high. I was wondering if maybe you could help show me how it's done, I will help however I can, and I can pay you instead of a shop. I want to learn about it. If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and we can work something out. Thank you.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I was sent to you from over on the gladiator forum when I asked about a regear for my gladiator. I live right outside Charlotte, and have gotten some quotes that seem rather high. I was wondering if maybe you could help show me how it's done, I will help however I can, and I can pay you instead of a shop. I want to learn about it. If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and we can work something out. Thank you.
I can certainly do the work, but I’m a drop off and pick up when it’s done kind of guy. I created the 4.88 and 5.13 threads to give people an idea of exactly how it’s done. I charge $900 plus parts. You can get the parts or I can, it doesn’t matter. You can call Paul at East Coast Gear Supply and he’ll have parts shipped here to the house. My number is 3364429463. You can text that if it’s easier. Thanks man.
Sponsored