GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Good morning,

It won't be "Live" in the sense I have a camera set up in here, but I will be doing a set of Rubicon 5.13 gears next weekend where I'm opening up my time to answer questions as I do the work. This will hopefully motivate more people to do their own gears as it's not a difficult job, but can be troublesome if not done correctly.

If you're curious about any step of the process, please ask questions here. I will update this OP with all questions received and provide answers, pictures, and short videos as I do the work.

I'm working on a set of JK gears right now, otherwise I'd be doing this today. I figured this will allow some time to put some good Q&A together for those curious, intrigued by the process, and those who are on the edge of taking on this task themselves.

Thank you.

1. How important is setting backlash within spec?
  2. What backlash spec/tolerance do you aim for to ensure gears don't whine and last a long time?
  3. Do you use the Yukon Clamshell puller?
  4. What are the most common mistakes made when doing a gear swap?
  5. What special tools are needed that the average (or advanced) DIY’er doesn’t already own?
  6. How to do a gear and axle swap (better components), while minimizing warranty impacts.
Wow...perfect timing and this is my exact use case! Thanks for taking the time to do this! Now I will get to see why it costs $2700 after tax in my local area to swap gears...

Cheers.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Oh, with regards to the FAQ - I have heard the factory lockers in JLs can be tricky to setup when swapping gears and easy to screw up apparently. Any clear guidance on what to watch for and how to avoid any issues would be helpful.

Cheers.

Sponsored

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
I’m not worried about the warranty questions. There are too many variables for a clear answer.

Only real answer is, yes, it voids the warranty in anything inside the differential except, maybe, the carrier and spider gears. If the dealer knows you’ve re-geared, they can deny any warranty claim on diff components. The axle shafts and anything outside the differentials will be fine. If you’ve re-geared and run a larger than stock

Added to the list.
I work for FCA so Im aware if only replaced and immediatly affected componets. This was just a warning for the pandora's box of stupid questions and opinions that will come your way. Good Luck! I'll be on call incase you get weeded :captain:

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I work for FCA so Im aware if only replaced and immediatly affected componets. This was just a warning for the pandora's box of stupid questions and opinions that will come your way. Good Luck! I'll be on call incase you get weeded :captain:
What do you do for FCA in Missouri?

Sponsored