Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Ok ya, it seems that a little more oil would only serve to extend the time to normal operating temps by a small amount without some sort of auxiliary cooling. I've watched those Banks videos and 1) believe what he's saying, his testing seems pretty thorough but 2) was trying not to bring that up because I know some folks on here get all sort of upset about it for some reason. : )

So are you saying you think it's more likely they were set up incorrectly or more likely there was a defect in the gear?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ok ya, it seems that a little more oil would only serve to extend the time to normal operating temps by a small amount without some sort of auxiliary cooling. I've watched those Banks videos and 1) believe what he's saying, his testing seems pretty thorough but 2) was trying not to bring that up because I know some folks on here get all sort of upset about it for some reason. : )

So are you saying you think it's more likely they were set up incorrectly or more likely there was a defect in the gear?
I'm not sure why people would get upset over an depth study and real data. That truth thing is a mofo. Lol. Goes against beliefs some times.

Yeah. They were either set up wrong or there was a material defect.

A 3rd possibility is that there were shock loaded. Hopping with overland weight in the rig. Overlanders, in general, will deal with a multitude of issues the standard Jeeper won't see very often. The rear spring buckets bending is another topic. If the rig is operated within its specs, then there is no issue.

These factory housings, including the D30, can accept a 5.38 gear from the showroom. Dana certainly wouldn't offer gear sets in the full range of the pinion size capability if heat was an issue. These things are hammer forged at 1000+ degrees Centigrade. The gear sets and heat aren't the issue. It's the bearings and oil breaking down nearly every time. (Above and beyond poor installation or material defect.)

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Nothing against Banks. He spews a lot of data in his videos. And there isn't much that I would call wrong, per se.

It's just incomplete information. Beyond that, the videos are focused on selling his diff covers.

One thing I have learned over the decades is that people with a vested interest in selling something won't tell you the whole story if it cuts into their sales.

He's got some good engineers working for him. But he has a good marketing team as well.

For the record, I have purchased my share of Banks products and have been happy with them. But look beyond the polished videos and find what was left out.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
He might be trying to sell his diff covers but he doesn't have one for the JL that I could find.
Sponsored