Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah, I'm going to wait until they actually make noise to do anything. Not worth the effort at the moment.

However, my son has now asked me to do another gear install on his JL. Good times.

I did decided to purchase a pinion depth gauge as I like to be precise. Yukon gears stamp the top with the depth. Does anyone (@chevymitchell?) know how Dana marks depth on their pinions? I don't remember it being stamped on the head, so curious where to get the details for a matched set.
Man, there's no way i would do another gear set for anyone, except for me and i don't even know if i would do it again!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Yeah, I'm going to wait until they actually make noise to do anything. Not worth the effort at the moment.

However, my son has now asked me to do another gear install on his JL. Good times.

I did decided to purchase a pinion depth gauge as I like to be precise. Yukon gears stamp the top with the depth. Does anyone (@chevymitchell?) know how Dana marks depth on their pinions? I don't remember it being stamped on the head, so curious where to get the details for a matched set.
The depth is etched on the side, in the lower left corner.

It's usually zero and this measurement is in hundreths of a millimeter.

The matched set markings are on the side, as well, right next to the depth figure.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Man, there's no way i would do another gear set for anyone, except for me and i don't even know if i would do it again!!!!
I’d do it for a weekend rig/second vehicle if the owner was 100% on board I’m not a certified mechanic.
But a daily driver for another person, no way. I’d help, but I’m not going to be the primary.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The depth is etched on the side, in the lower left corner.

It's usually zero and this measurement is in hundreths of a millimeter.

The matched set markings are on the side, as well, right next to the depth figure.
that provides the starting point, but do they not indicate pinion depth from carrier center? Such as, Yukon will stamp on top of the pinion "2.548" (or something like that), which is used to measure the depth of the pinion head from the carrier center line to determine the right depth. Does Dana not provide that measurement?

It allows the use of this type of tool if you have it, which makes setup a little easier.
https://tdmach.com/product/td-pinion-depth-checker/

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I’d do it for a weekend rig/second vehicle if the owner was 100% on board I’m not a certified mechanic.
But a daily driver for another person, no way. I’d help, but I’m not going to be the primary.
My son and I are VERY adventurous when it comes to mechanical changes. Gears are certainly not the most complex thing we've done, and I don't mind taking a risk and learning from it if we screw something up.

It also helps that I have more tools than most auto shops. I did my gears on the floor. I've decided for his we'll use my lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
that provides the starting point, but do they not indicate pinion depth from carrier center? Such as, Yukon will stamp on top of the pinion "2.548" (or something like that), which is used to measure the depth of the pinion head from the carrier center line to determine the right depth. Does Dana not provide that measurement?

It allows the use of this type of tool if you have it, which makes setup a little easier.
https://tdmach.com/product/td-pinion-depth-checker/
I have several of those tools. Dana doesn't provide the figure you're looking for and if you call them, you won't get it from them either.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ugh. Well, I guess the old install/run-a-pattern will have to do!
You can't fail going that route.

The depth figure will be released to the wild eventually. I just haven't come across it yet.

It usually takes a long while before any of the new master dimensions are released or someone will take the time to figure it out themselves with a known good zero etch pinion.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
You can't fail going that route.

The depth figure will be released to the wild eventually. I just haven't come across it yet.

It usually takes a long while before any of the new master dimensions are released or someone will take the time to figure it out themselves with a known good zero etch pinion.
Have you used setup races for checking pinion depth? And, follow-on question, if you have, do you use a spare crush washer when doing the setup? Or skip the crush washer all together?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Have you used setup races for checking pinion depth? And, follow-on question, if you have, do you use a spare crush washer when doing the setup? Or skip the crush washer all together?
I have used them. No crush sleeve needed. I always set it light (10-15 in/lbs), then check the pattern.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
THat's what I was thinking as well. Thanks again - you win my vote for most helpful on jlwf.
Lol. Just doing my part to keep the dream alive.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

A depth gauge isn’t going to do anything but get you close. Reading the pattern is how you get precise. I don’t know any pros that use a depth gauge because it doesn’t save them any time.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Anyone got tips on holding the LSD carrier to torque the ring-gear bolts to spec? I don't have a vice, but if that's the easy way I can truck this and my torque wrench over to my boss's house.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Anyone got tips on holding the LSD carrier to torque the ring-gear bolts to spec? I don't have a vice, but if that's the easy way I can truck this and my torque wrench over to my boss's house.
For my front carrier when I was torquing new Ring gear bolts I put the carrier in one of those Black and Decker tables
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 1662948890960
Sponsored