4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Hello! This thread is to document/showcase the work I've done in building my own drawer/deck system for the JL.

Driving this project my never-ending struggle with gear management - that one thing I need during a trail ride happens to be buried in a box under a mountain of other gear, forcing me to unload 1/2 the trunk just to get at it.

In full disclosure, I'm not an engineer and I'm certainly not a carpenter, so this project has its share of flaws. However, I really did enjoy putting it together and I'm looking forward to optimizing it over time.

My Project Goals:
  • Full extension slides that will support the weight of my recovery gear, tools and trail snack
  • Full width deck that blends into the contours of the trun
  • Tie downs on the top of the deck for additional gear boxes, Gerry cans, etc...
  • Bedliner/sealant incase I get caught in the rain with the top of
  • Keep my existing Tuffy tailgate storage lock box

Materials include:
  • Plywood
  • Beadboard (used to cut as a template for mapping the Jeeps contours)
  • 500lb lock in/lock out sliders from Amazon
  • Pocket screws
  • Nails
  • Wood glue
  • Kilz primer paint
  • Rattle can paint (Rustoleum)
  • Rattle can bedliner (also Rustoleum)

Tools used:
  • Table saw
  • Jig saw
  • Router (straight and roundover bits)
  • Circular saw
  • Impact Driver
  • Nail gun
  • Various clamps (12-36")
  • Kreg jig (pocket hole jig)
  • Oscillating tool
  • Mouse sander
  • Speed square
  • Contour gauge

As starting point - I began by removing the rear cargo compartment lid (simply lift and pull towards the rear of the vehicle) and all of the existing cargo tie downs (flathead to pop up the plastic covers and the appropriate torx bit). I set aside the factory tie downs for use later.

An additional consideration was making sure I accommodate my existing tailgate mounted Tuffy storage lock box, which also doubles as a fold out table. This will limit my maximum box/drawer depth, but also force me to offset the drawers to the left to allow the drawers to pull all the way out to their full 24” extension without hitting the lock box.

edoUMuU.jpg

After some measurement, I ended up with the below "baseplate". Ended up making a cutout along the bottom lip to maintain access to the factory jack/tools. Bolt holes were lined up by reinstalling each of the bolts, laying the board on top, and whacking it with a big ol'hammer to mark the drill holes. Each hole was drilled and countersunk to allow for the factory bolts to sit flush with the surface of the plywood.
A2hFesk.jpg

At this point, I took my remaining measurements and mapped out the box's exterior and center walls. I had to ensure that I didn't make it too wide to avoid my Tuffy tailgate lock box and the locking mechanism on the left side of the tailgate opening.

My overall plan was for 27" deep drawers, split 50/50 across the width of the box. I also wanted to have a full wide/depth deck that followed the contours of the truck for a flush fit.

Now - back to my disclaimer about not being a carpenter. I'm not, srsly, but I have built several pieces of furniture for my house. Mostly simple tables and a barn door. Through that experience, I can’t recommend a pocket hole jig enough. Easily the biggest bang-for-your-buck tool I own. Here’s the cabinet starting to come together.

mV3DaCc.jpg

I double-walled/laminated the interior wall as it will be supporting a slide and drawer on each side, and I need it to be able to take a good amount of weight from the deck when fully loaded.

QugRjxi.jpg

Here's a test fit!
zV54VwQ.jpg

It was at this time I made a pretty big screw-up. I forgot all about that big honking Tuffy tailgate lock box. I went to close the tailgate and SMACK. I realized I made the walls too long/deep. I ended up needing to jigsaw 3 inches off of the vertical walls, bringing my total storage from 30” to 27” to accommodate the tailgate box. I used my handy oscillating cutter to clean it up and a little sanding to get rid of the stray wood glue.

Measure 300 times, cut once!

Below is an image of the rails and drawers test fitted and some hand routing around the slider latches.

Now cabinet-making is a totally different animal than anything else I've tried. The necessary precision can be maddening. I ended up making my drawers about 3-5mm too "narrow" for the mounted sliders. I solved this by shimming the sliders with some thicker metal washers to ensure everything was square. I've also read that you can use a thin steps of wood or even a strip of scrap metal (which won't compress like wood will).

cWSz1lu.jpg

cObOqGc.jpg

Here is an image of the box primered in Kilz and ready for paint.
I’d also completely forgotten about maintaining access to the “super secret under-floor storage compartment”, so a grabbed the jigsaw and router and went to work. The space is accessible if I pull the drawer out, so not super convenient, but I figure I can put some emergency supplies in that compartment, or things that would be extremely rare for me to access. I’m thinking a stash of MRE’s or water bottles.

y4IJWey.jpg

Decided to go for a pop of color on the drawers with some Apple Red paint that I think is a pretty decent match with the exterior Firecracker Red. Here’s a shot of the drawers installed before I bolted on the top deck. I wish the slide pulls were a similar color, but I’m ok with the blue. Maybe I’ll plastidip the pulls some day.

SKbAMmO.jpg

I also end up with some nice little space to the left and right of the box for some longer items, like a folding chair, cheater pipe, etc..

Took the factory tie down points and bolted them to the deck with some 5/8 stainless hardware and lock nuts. I might invest in a cargo net to keep back there for lighter-weight things like groceries as the trunk is a lot shallower than it used to be.

pRS9mLQ.jpg

Due to the nature of the contours I had to cut around with the deck, it’s a pretty tight fit with maybe 5mm of left/right wiggle room. The contour gauge was awesome and made the process really easy to nail on the first try. As the fit was snug, I ended up screwing the deck down last as there was no way I’d be able to preassemble the entire unit and drop it in. I used bronze colored deck screws for the top, all countersunk.

I6p3ZeX.jpg

sCBXNSp.jpg

I’ll be embarking on another adventure in organizing the drawers themselves as they are blank canvasses! Overall the drawers are larger than the Wolfpack’s (by FrontRunner) that I keep filled with gear. It’ll be interesting to see how much I can cram into them.

Some remaining tasks/considerations:
  • Cut some rubber matting to line the drawer bottoms
  • Find some organizers/dividers to cubed bags for the drawers. I might even just make some dividers/inserts out of some thin wood or acetate
  • I’m kicking around the idea of some diamond plate for the deck for extra durability. I’m positive the bedliner is going to scratch off as soon as I lash down my steel Jerry cans on them.
Sponsored

cohle

First Name
Cohle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks for documenting and posting this. Your finished product looks awesome. I am hoping to do something similar in the near future with the addition of a foldable sleeping platform like the one seen here: The contour gauge is a really solid tip, I had not heard of that tool before. Thanks again, and please post some updates as you settle into the new system.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Hello! This thread is to document/showcase the work I've done in building my own drawer/deck system for the JL.

Driving this project my never-ending struggle with gear management - that one thing I need during a trail ride happens to be buried in a box under a mountain of other gear, forcing me to unload 1/2 the trunk just to get at it.

In full disclosure, I'm not an engineer and I'm certainly not a carpenter, so this project has its share of flaws. However, I really did enjoy putting it together and I'm looking forward to optimizing it over time.

My Project Goals:
  • Full extension slides that will support the weight of my recovery gear, tools and trail snack
  • Tie downs on the top of the deck for additional gear boxes, Gerry cans, etc...

Materials include:
  • Plywood
  • Pocket screws
  • Nails
  • Wood glue
  • Kilz primer paint

Tools used:
  • Table saw
  • Jig saw
  • Circular saw
  • Impact Driver
  • Nail gun
  • Oscillating tool
  • Mouse sander
  • Speed square
  • Contour gauge

As starting point - I began by removing the rear cargo compartment lid (simply lift and pull towards the rear of the vehicle) and all of the existing cargo tie downs (flathead to pop up the plastic covers and the appropriate torx bit). I set aside the factory tie downs for use later.

An additional consideration was making sure I accommodate my existing tailgate mounted Tuffy storage lock box, which also doubles as a fold out table. This will limit my maximum box/drawer depth, but also force me to offset the drawers to the left to allow the drawers to pull all the way out to their full 24” extension without hitting the lock box.

edoUMuU.jpg

After some measurement, I ended up with the below "baseplate". Ended up making a cutout along the bottom lip to maintain access to the factory jack/tools. Bolt holes were lined up by reinstalling each of the bolts, laying the board on top, and whacking it with a big ol'hammer to mark the drill holes. Each hole was drilled and countersunk to allow for the factory bolts to sit flush with the surface of the plywood.
A2hFesk.jpg

At this point, I took my remaining measurements and mapped out the box's exterior and center walls. I had to ensure that I didn't make it too wide to avoid my Tuffy tailgate lock box and the locking mechanism on the left side of the tailgate opening.

My overall plan was for 27" deep drawers, split 50/50 across the width of the box. I also wanted to have a full wide/depth deck that followed the contours of the truck for a flush fit.

Now - back to my disclaimer about not being a carpenter. I'm not, srsly, but I have built several pieces of furniture for my house. Mostly simple tables and a barn door. Through that experience, I can’t recommend a pocket hole jig enough. Easily the biggest bang-for-your-buck tool I own. Here’s the cabinet starting to come together.

mV3DaCc.jpg

I double-walled/laminated the interior wall as it will be supporting a slide and drawer on each side, and I need it to be able to take a good amount of weight from the deck when fully loaded.

QugRjxi.jpg

Here's a test fit!
zV54VwQ.jpg

It was at this time I made a pretty big screw-up. I forgot all about that big honking Tuffy tailgate lock box. I went to close the tailgate and SMACK. I realized I made the walls too long/deep. I ended up needing to jigsaw 3 inches off of the vertical walls, bringing my total storage from 30” to 27” to accommodate the tailgate box. I used my handy oscillating cutter to clean it up and a little sanding to get rid of the stray wood glue.

Below is an image of the rails and drawers test fitted and some hand routing around the slider latches.

Now cabinet-making is a totally different animal than anything else I've tried. The necessary precision can be maddening. I ended up making my drawers about 3-5mm too "narrow" for the mounted sliders. I solved this by shimming the sliders with some thicker metal washers to ensure everything was square. I've also read that you can use a thin steps of wood or even a strip of scrap metal (which won't compress like wood will).

cWSz1lu.jpg

cObOqGc.jpg

I’d also completely forgotten about maintaining access to the “super secret under-floor storage compartment”, so a grabbed the jigsaw and router and went to work. The space is accessible if I pull the drawer out, so not super convenient, but I figure I can put some emergency supplies in that compartment, or things that would be extremely rare for me to access. I’m thinking a stash of MRE’s or water bottles.

y4IJWey.jpg

Decided to go for a pop of color on the drawers with some Apple Red paint that I think is a pretty decent match with the exterior Firecracker Red. Here’s a shot of the drawers installed before I bolted on the top deck. I wish the slide pulls were a similar color, but I’m ok with the blue. Maybe I’ll plastidip the pulls some day.

SKbAMmO.jpg

I also end up with some nice little space to the left and right of the box for some longer items, like a folding chair, cheater pipe, etc..

Took the factory tie down points and bolted them to the deck with some 5/8 stainless hardware and lock nuts. I might invest in a cargo net to keep back there for lighter-weight things like groceries as the trunk is a lot shallower than it used to be.

pRS9mLQ.jpg

Due to the nature of the contours I had to cut around with the deck, it’s a pretty tight fit with maybe 5mm of left/right wiggle room. The contour gauge was awesome and made the process really easy to nail on the first try. As the fit was snug, I ended up screwing the deck down last as there was no way I’d be able to preassemble the entire unit and drop it in. I used bronze colored deck screws for the top, all countersunk.

I6p3ZeX.jpg

sCBXNSp.jpg

I’ll be embarking on another adventure in organizing the drawers themselves as they are blank canvasses! Overall the drawers are larger than the Wolfpack’s (by FrontRunner) that I keep filled with gear. It’ll be interesting to see how much I can cram into them.

• Find some organizers/dividers to cubed bags for the drawers. I might even just make some dividers/inserts out of some thin wood or acetate
  • I’m kicking around the idea of some diamond plate for the deck for extra durability. I’m positive the bedliner is going to scratch off as soon as I lash down my steel Jerry cans on them.
[/QUOTATION

My Project Goals:

Materials include:
  • Plywood
  • Pocket screws
  • Nails
  • Wood glue
  • Kilz primer paint

Tools used:
  • Table saw
  • Jig saw
  • Circular saw
  • Impact Driver
  • Nail gun
  • Oscillating tool
  • Mouse sander
  • Speed square
  • Contour gauge

edoUMuU.jpg

A2hFesk.jpg

mV3DaCc.jpg

QugRjxi.jpg

Here's a test fit!
zV54VwQ.jpg

cWSz1lu.jpg

cObOqGc.jpg

y4IJWey.jpg

SKbAMmO.jpg

pRS9mLQ.jpg

I6p3ZeX.jpg

sCBXNSp.jpg

very impressive. I thought you did an excellent job with the construction and design.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

Looks awesome! Great work. I’m embarking on a similar project for mounting my fridge. I have made a bottom floor very similar to yours but need to rout the edges and clean it up. I made a cutout for the storage area but haven’t decided how I want to finish it. I’m thinking of doing a lift-out piece instead of a door with hinges, sort of like a trap door or marine storage cubby. It’s not very big due to the fridge but big enough to get stuff in and out.

Is your bed liner spray slick or a bit sticky? My first thought was to use bed liner spray but I don’t want stuff sliding around. I may just use a rubber mat cut-to-fit.

I bet IKEA or The Container Store would have some good storage divider options that won’t break the bank.

Thanks for documenting your project. You’ve given me some ideas.

OP
OP
4x4tographer

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Looks awesome! Great work. I’m embarking on a similar project for mounting my fridge. I have made a bottom floor very similar to yours but need to rout the edges and clean it up. I made a cutout for the storage area but haven’t decided how I want to finish it. I’m thinking of doing a lift-out piece instead of a door with hinges, sort of like a trap door or marine storage cubby. It’s not very big due to the fridge but big enough to get stuff in and out.

Is your bed liner spray slick or a bit sticky? My first thought was to use bed liner spray but I don’t want stuff sliding around. I may just use a rubber mat cut-to-fit.

I bet IKEA or The Container Store would have some good storage divider options that won’t break the bank.

Thanks for documenting your project. You’ve given me some ideas.
Hey! Sorry for the delay, I haven’t logged on to the forum in a minute.

The bedliner is pretty heavily textured. I’ve not really had any issues with sliding on my daily drives, but I generally use tie downs when getting off pavement.

I also kicked around the idea of a rubber mat, but haven’t gotten around to looking for one yet.

Thanks for the tip on the Container Store! I just learned about them for the first time just the other day.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Hey! Sorry for the delay, I haven’t logged on to the forum in a minute.

The bedliner is pretty heavily textured. I’ve not really had any issues with sliding on my daily drives, but I generally use tie downs when getting off pavement.

I also kicked around the idea of a rubber mat, but haven’t gotten around to looking for one yet.

Thanks for the tip on the Container Store! I just learned about them for the first time just the other day.
No problem at all. Thanks for responding back. I planned on using bedliner, as I had an almost full can, but the stupid thing was completely clogged. I tried tricks and nothing worked, so I just used plasti dip that I had a couple cans of. It turned out okay. Over the weekend I found a cheap carpet remnant at Lowe’s that is very similar to what the commercial Jeep cabinet kits use. $12 for a pretty large piece. I’ll likely apply that at some point but I’m going to see how my setup works for now.

I haven’t built a drawer yet, just a base and fridge slide, along with a hatch to get to the storage cubby. On the hatch door I used some metal brackets with felt pads to keep it quiet and then added two more steel brackets and then magnets on the door, so it stays in place. I routed the edges to soften it up. It’s not pretty but it works for me right now. If I like it I’ll re-do it much cleaner and probably use better material. The scrap plywood I used was just an old piece I had lying around.

8E1A0C4A-239A-44D5-B2C6-6050414386D9.jpeg
7384CA48-4A26-43D7-863A-FDDDE8BF73F4.jpeg
6480A92B-65C9-4ACE-9D8F-2EC1B4281C98.jpeg
BA642B30-8957-4673-B50B-C6855ED7BA2E.jpeg
4075A1E0-B4EE-4144-B55C-B6BBD93BE11E.jpeg
59C856F9-88A2-4C84-8969-4A11D0CE014E.jpeg
2953F896-E882-4E77-AF1A-58A46D73005B.jpeg
F2994EB7-9E6D-4C4E-9CD9-D72FECFA0DA1.jpeg

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
This thread is very useful, OP. I think, I will do something similar for my car. But I have a question. There is not enough information about the rails. What kind of rails did you use to make these drawers? It's a real problem for me. Right now I'm looking for this stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have any good local stores which can sell me this stuff. One of my friends told me that he bought it from the Germans. He says that they do perfectly linear guides (or, as they call it, linearfĂĽhrungen). Maybe buying guides from the Germany store really is a good idea?

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This thread is very useful, OP. I think, I will do something similar for my car. But I have a question. There is not enough information about the rails. What kind of rails did you use to make these drawers?
There is a clickable link in the first post for the rails.

burgpath

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude
Glad I found this. I'm about to do this myself. Any pics of the storage from the front seats? Is there room there?

OP
OP
4x4tographer

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Glad I found this. I'm about to do this myself. Any pics of the storage from the front seats? Is there room there?
Not sure I understand the question. This DIY box is entirely in the rear truck area.

I did end up building a "sleeping platform add-on" at a later date that has been working well. You can read about it here with plenty of photos.

https://offroadpassport.com/forums/...-2018-jeep-jlur/?do=findComment&comment=56512

Here's a photo of the "front" of the box with the rear seats folded down.

hzVvEdd.jpg

Here's the completed sleeping platform:
peJZhTv.jpg

Sponsored

burgpath

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude
Thanks. I was looking at this as a 2 door solution and was looking for pics of how that would look. Clearly, not a 2 door. Lol

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Nice work. I built something similar for mine, with a few variations.
I made the deck plate a separate component from the cabinet, and bolted it together like Goose Gear does, in case I want to move the cabinets to a different vehicle later.
I carpeted the exterior of the cabinet for noise suppression (I run with the hard top on 100%).
I stacked two drawers on the driver’s side and put a fridge on the PS. Top of the cabinet is leveled with the tub, so it’s taller. I also cut an opening in the side where the subwoofer is which serves the dual purposes of ventilation for the fridge and gives the sub some airspace to fire into the back of the cabinet. Sounds pretty much as before.
Sponsored