DIY: Door hinge protection film

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Ok, the R3 website is up and running... Go here: https://www.r3offroad.com/offroad

The prices listed are more then fair in my opinion. I will be ordering. My time is worth more then the $ this forum sponsor/vendor is asking for the product and the speedy shipping of same to my place.

I'd like to thank this forum sponsor/vendor... Thank him, for being a forum sponsor and also for this product offering.

I had already planned on applying 3M to my JL's hinges. I knew it would be a pain in the ass making templates and cutting the pricey, 3M product. I knew there would be alot of trial and error and wasted 3M product if I did it myself. Nice to know that I can just buy the precut 3M pieces now....
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
The site is now live with the protectors

10% forum discount

Code jlwf

Great, the 10% forum discount is appreciated! Helps offset the shipping charges..

I'll be getting a set. I want to apply asap. I look at this as a minimal $ and time outlay, for lets say a pound of prevention.

Without the 3M protection on my hinges, they will, without a doubt, suffer paint chip damage.

So, this prevention/protection will save me lots of $ in the long run and save me from looking at frigging chipped up door hinges on my JL.

Yes, the R3 offering will cost me a few $ more then if I did all the foot work (went thru all the headaches) lets say myself, but it is not costing me that much more, letting R3 do the deed for me. Not worth it for me to go to all the hassle to save so few $. Now, a careful, quick install of the pre-cut 3M product and I'm good to go... :clap:

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
How to install 3M Paint Protection Film.

You can use an "All in One Solution" when you apply the 3M film.
You would mix and pour your solution into an empty, clean, spray bottle.

All in One Solution mixture:
8oz. of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
24 oz. of Distilled Water (DISTILLED WATER)
2 ml of Johnson's Baby Shampoo

Now watch this video for the application process:

Sponsored

hokiedrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 328i, 2018 JLUR Sting
Picked up my JLUR last night and ordered these as soon as i got home. I was dreading having to create something myself and happy to have this option.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Had some left over helicopter tape which I used to protect my carbon fiber mountain bike. Used that to cover the leading edge of the hinges.

Removing it could leave some sticky residue but it's much thicker than paint protection film and much more malleable which makes it very easy to install. Took 5 minutes to do both sides.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How to install 3M Paint Protection Film.

You can use an "All in One Solution" when you apply the 3M film.
You would mix and pour your solution into an empty, clean, spray bottle.

All in One Solution mixture:
8oz. of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
24 oz. of Distilled Water (DISTILLED WATER)
2 ml of Johnson's Baby Shampoo
@R 3
I used this "All in One Solution Mixture, today when I installed my R 3 hinge protectors. Solution worked great! By the way, the Hinge Protectors from this vendor are EXCELLENT!

hokiedrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 328i, 2018 JLUR Sting
@R 3
I used this "All in One Solution Mixture, today when I installed my R 3 hinge protectors. Solution worked great! By the way, the Hinge Protectors from this vendor are EXCELLENT!
Same here...very happy with the product.

RockChalk

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 TJ
I originally tried to put 3M film on and trim-to-size myself.....what a mistake and waste of time with horrible results. I took it off and threw the rest away. I bought the R3 kit for all the hinges and it worked great. Unless you're 4" away from the hinge, you'd never even know it's there. You're wasting your time if you try to do it without a die-cut product like this. I HIGHLY recommend spending $40 to save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
@R 3 Matt, let us know when you have the door sill protectors ready!

*Edit: nevermind, I just saw on the other post that they are ready now. Thanks!

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to install 3m ppf on the door hinges today and took some pictures of how I completed it. This isn’t a very difficult task just requires a lot of time and patience.

First I order a small roll of film from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWPKZCF?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

When it arrived I taped it to a flat surface over night to get out any wrinkles.

Next using blue painters tape I created templates of the 3 sections of the door hinge I was covering. This will involve some trial and error when cutting the tape to fit.

I then layed the template over the back of the film and used a sharp utility knife to cut out. Need 8 total of each section.

After cleaning the surface, peel the back of the film off and apply the film in a rolling motion from one side to the other (prevents bubbles). Then firmly press down/rub the film to secure it.
You may mess up a few times in the beggining but there is more than enough film to use if you do. I also placed a line of film on the edge of the back doors too.

That’s really all there is to it. Hope this helps if you plan to do it.
This is great! thanks for putting this out there. Ordered my film at will get after it as soon as it come in :)

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Does anyone know if the protective film is as much as a necessity for two doors as it is for four doors?

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Does anyone know if the protective film is as much as a necessity for two doors as it is for four doors?
Can’t see why it wouldn’t be. The hinges are still in same locations and just as susceptible to stone chips as the 4 doors.